Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#401 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well Warrington got a substantial crowd in Barcelona. Or was that an internet rumour.

When is the next home game in Barcelona?

#402 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 20 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#403 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I think that's a good shout myself although I'd take Wakefield out. I've stood in a 10K crowd at Belle Vue and in Newmarket one can only see those becoming more regular.

There but for the grace of a rich man goes HKR/Cas/Salford/Widnes/Leigh/Oldham/Halifax/Featherstone......

And how about London/Huddersfield too...

All clubs who would struggle in Superleague without someone rich to bankroll them.

Leaving the real Superleague of Leeds/Hull/Wigan/Warrington/Bradford/Saints/Wakefield/Catalans.

You forgot Warrington who were near to going bust until Moran came in and they were lucky not to get relegated back around 2001/2. Without Moran would Warrington be in SL? The way things were maybe not. Bradford have been living in dream world thats why they ended up in such a mess. Even with new owners there is no guarentee that they will not be struggling in a couple of years again. And the big crowds certainly didnt bring loads of money in did they. St.Helens would be in a real mess and likely still at Knowsley Road with big debts without Mcmanus and co. You can keep dreaming about the above clubs being in real SL the fact is maybe only Leeds and Wigan from England would be able to compete in SL without the massive backing of a millionaire. The rest NEED a backer to even survive let alone compete.

Oh how Maurice and the RFL would have wished the SL game would have made it in Paris, Gateshead, Wales Barcelona, Toulouse and London and that those smaller championship clubs had faded into a merger with their local rivals.

We may have then seen what Superleague was really meant to be rather than what it is in danger of becoming i.e. the old first division without the stars.

They have shown over and over again that expansion is pointless even their is no proper foundation and development going on. Can you name me one SL club from the expansion list you have given of Paris, Gateshead, Wales, London, Toulouse and Barcelona which has been a success and can challenge the top clubs on and off the field? Living in a fantasy world like you do and throwing away vital money and effort on getting expansion clubs in to SL has damaged the game. Wishing the game would be bigger and played in some of those places at amateur level let alone SL would be great. In reality it doesnt work. So wake up and see that currently SL is not working and that licences set out by SL is not working in most of the areas it said it would. Something needs to be done and quickly for the good of Sl, Pro game and Rugby League. The future doesnt look too good but its not too late for the clubs and SL to change the thinking and also save themselves alot of heartache. If clubs cant compete in SL then is it worth carrying on until they are in threatened with going bust just to stay in SL?

#404 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Really???????

How come an ex Leigh director over on RLFans is forever banging on about how, apart from ticket sales, Leigh generate very little/no income from the LSV?

It was when Steve was involved, it changed last year when AT stopped bank rolling and the importance of the club to LSV moved up a few steps. It helps when the main driving force behind LSV is now CEO at LRLFC. Our retained revenue is now substantial and emc have lost the catering contract. The club went from needing £250k a year from AT to being self sufficient in a year.

#405 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Yes, but until such extra financing can be found and to avoid any more clubs doing a Bradford or a Salford, maybe it would be prudent to trim the wage bill to affordable levels.

It is not compulsory to spend the full cap.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#406 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

It is not compulsory to spend the full cap.

Well, I agree with that entirely but I thought it was accepted dogma that clubs had to spend up to the maximum salary cap or else they had no hope of any kind of success in SL. For me, if I supported a SL club I would rather they be mid table and continue to exist than go for the top, go bankrupt and all the problems that come with that.

#407 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Well, I agree with that entirely but I thought it was accepted dogma that clubs had to spend up to the maximum salary cap or else they had no hope of any kind of success in SL. For me, if I supported a SL club I would rather they be mid table and continue to exist than go for the top, go bankrupt and all the problems that come with that.

For once we agree, it also makes clubs concentrate on getting more income in by means other than gambling on overspending to buy fans with success,a proven recipe for disaster time after time.

Even Wigan don't spend the full cap, I seem to remember Lenigan saying he didn't want to start a season hemmed in by having spent the full cap with no room to manoeuvre if the team hit a mid-season problem.

Spending the full cap or close to it of course will give the opportunity to tempt/keep better players, but it isn't the be all and end all. The coach can make a huge difference, look at what happened at Wigan when Noble left and Maguire took over, no change in spend, next to no change in the playing rosta, big increase in performance.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#408 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Exactly. It depends on your definition of success. My definition for next year is simple - survival. If Salford RL still exists come September, that will have been success.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#409 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Well Warrington got a substantial crowd in Barcelona. Or was that an internet rumour.

Can you distinguish between a one-off game and a plan for a pro RL side?

#410 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

No will do fine.

The licensing panel made the right decision.

That was in 2011.

They made the best decision that they could but like with Crusaders we are back to having a side that ought to be relegated but can't be for the next two years. Not exactly a good situation.

Perhaps it is just the recession but it seems to me that the RFL don't have the ability to predict whether a given side will still be trading one year in the future let alone three.

Edited by Northern Sol, 20 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#411 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Exactly. It depends on your definition of success. My definition for next year is simple - survival. If Salford RL still exists come September, that will have been success.

You will exist, YOU the fans will ensure that. I can't predict at what level, but I do think you will look back in a few years and see this as the turning point for your club, in a positive way.

#412 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

The stadia not being up to scratch that the licencing committee used to regulalrly beat CC clubs around the head with is really becoming passe.

Halifax, Leigh, Featherstone, Workington, Sheffield are SL ready.

Batley have an excellent stadium which couod easily be SL compliant if the capacity was upped a little.

Dewsbury are updating their ground as we speak.

York have a new groundshare with York City promised which will be SL compliant

Whitehaven are waiting for the Pow Beck scheme to be built.

This leaves only Keighley, Hunslet and Barrow who could be denied on ground criteria.

I guess you have never been to either Workington or Barrow.

Posted Image

#413 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Can you distinguish between a one-off game and a plan for a pro RL side?

You stick to airbrushing that bumper crowd out of your mind.

#414 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

They made the best decision that they could but like with Crusaders we are back to having a side that ought to be relegated but can't be for the next two years. Not exactly a good situation.Perhaps it is just the recession but it seems to me that the RFL don't have the ability to predict whether a given side will still be trading one year in the future let alone three.

Not a good situation Solly but after the first six or seven picks who knows what even the immediate future holds for the strugglers.

If a rich man gets his club a 3 year license do you think he should honour it?

#415 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Are you forgetting mark as got plenty of money too?

It was reported on here that he once said he'd put £100K into the club and still got slather from fans so he decided the club could jolly well support itself without his financial help.

#416 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I guess you have never been to either Workington or Barrow.

I have never been to Workington but I have been to Barrow. Barrow is not SL standard and I have said so.

Workington is being upgraded to the tune of about half a million to make it an international standard ground for the World Cuo next year. I made an assumption that this would bring it up to SL standard. If not, then I withdraw my assertation that it is SL standard. I will be there for the World Cup to check it out for myself though. Looking forward to it.

#417 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

It was reported on here that he once said he'd put £100K into the club and still got slather from fans so he decided the club could jolly well support itself without his financial help.

That just shows what people actually know then doesn't it? Mark wasn't happy at one point but that wasn't the reason that was the rumour.

#418 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I lost track of this thread long ago. The bit about Barbour jackets in Wythenshawe caught my attention though.

Did someone jack a lorry?

#419 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

I lost track of this thread long ago. The bit about Barbour jackets in Wythenshawe caught my attention though.

Did someone jack a lorry?

It started off as the Salford thread but with Salford not actually doing anything the thread became quiet so I think people decided to hijack it lol

#420 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I have never been to Workington but I have been to Barrow. Barrow is not SL standard and I have said so.

Workington is being upgraded to the tune of about half a million to make it an international standard ground for the World Cuo next year. I made an assumption that this would bring it up to SL standard. If not, then I withdraw my assertation that it is SL standard. I will be there for the World Cup to check it out for myself though. Looking forward to it.

I'll let you decide for yourself K.
No way will the amount being spent on Derwent Park bring it up to what could be termed (even loosely) an international stadium. I'm sure most Town fans would agree with that. However, it is a ground with massive potential if the right investment could be found that is for sure.

Barrow could be brought up to SL standard fairly easily IF we had the cash to do it LOL. The current capacity is circa 7,000 but it wouldn't take an awful lot to increase that figure significantly. However, our focus this year is to raise £100k for new floodlights.
Certainly Craven Park has far more potential than say Dewsbury imo. PLUS we own our little piece of land.
The new stadium at Whitehaven will (from what I have read) fall woefully short of the minimum size for SL.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users