Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#461 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Unless a team replaces Salford in SL from the champ then I doubt you will be aloud in the champ I hate to say it but more than likely you will be playing in champ one which is a league no one wants to be in with the distances between the teams and low attendances.

I did say championship 1 in ,my post. Is there room for us to join and time to sort it out?

#462 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I did say championship 1 in ,my post. Is there room for us to join and time to sort it out?

You must be fearing the worst. I hope you don't go bust but I guess you have to look at the alternatives. I would of thought the RFL will let you in as one of the clubs that were meant to be joining pulled out so I guess there is a space but I think it's more of have you guys got time to put a team together at short notice?

#463 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

, why look to Barcelona's riches when we have investors with a "few bob" now and again oop t'north,

Why must you keep peddling myths?

There was no Barcelona team, it was just the fantasy of the usual suspects.

Why years down the road do you need to keep pretending?

#464 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Its not about whether any club, area or expansion attempt was a waste of time or money but whether with the benefit of experience it would be wise to continue to do things the same way.

You've said in reply to another post that you feel with sufficient money Crusaders could have been a success and a SL club in the area would have drawn people into the game. Well the point is there wasn't enough money and the SL club no longer exists.

This is broadly similar to the experience we had with Gateshead & Paris. Its not about whether the game should seek to expand, it should, but whether there is any reason to believe the 'top down' method actually delivers long term success. Unless you have come up with a way of making sure any future 'top down' club won't run out of money I simply don't see how you can advocate more of the same whilst crossing your fingers & hoping it might turn out differently.

Declare your interest good sir? Who is your club??

You question whether it would be wise to "continue to do things the same way". What particular way is this??

Is this the SL way where an expansion club, with all the massive benefits it would bring to RL if Broncos took off in London or if Celtic Crusaders became a bigger club than some of the RU "no names" in Wales, are allowed only the same SKY money as Wigan, Leeds and Hull who have 140 years start, to achieve this goal???

Monsterous short sightedness by the insular SL chairmen dontcha think??

Do these people care for the game or are they just forming some sort of cliquey northern rich mans club.??

The point is there's no more money for Crusaders YES and the SL club no longer exists TRUE.

But the same point is there's no more money for Salford as it stands and the heartland SL club may exist no longer.

Same thing.

So shall we drop the expansion policy because nobody wants to watch or fund clubs outside the M62? And at the same time shall we drop the "M62 only" attitude of many on here because nobody wants to watch or fund most clubs in heartlands either??

Yes we had an experience with Gateshead and Paris that was unfortunate. nobody wants to watch or fund clubs who fail in Superleague.

Yes we had an experience with Oldham, Workington, Halifax, Leigh, Sheffield, Keighley, Bradford, Wakefield, and Salford, nobody wants to watch or fund northern clubs who fail in Superleague either.

Can you see the similarity? Can you see the ambiguity?

When clubs outside the M62 struggle I suspect some people have a wry smile and delight in suggesting best not try that again?

After all it doesn't work does it, Paris, Gateshead, Barcelona, Rome. London, Wales etc prove it doesn't work.

Trouble is Salford (formed in 1873, joined the NU in 1896, six times top club in the Rugby league, record attendance 26,000) doesn't work for sure and Bradford and Wakefield don't work either.

My point is simple.

There are no "expansion" or "heartland" clubs. there are only "Rugby League Clubs" and those who seek to create a "them and us" between the M62 and anywhere that is foreign to the M62 (that's just south of Sheffield BTW) such that they can declare "them" unviable, usually have a thumping big chip on their shoulder that leads them to suggest to their Northern Rugby League Working Mens Club (affiliated) that such aliens should be discouraged from membership .

Thing is if you want a successful Rugby League you make sure Wigan are at the heart of Lancashire,

Then you make sure Leeds sits proud at the heart of Yorkshire.

Then you add Hull to complete rugby Leagues traditional giants.

Then we need the capitol London. It's essential, in go the Broncos.

Now we need Wales its big Rugby Country (oooh no we need Doncaster, Sheffield, etc) they love their RL in Wales

Now we need Les Catalans to get that third international profile and France to the fore.

Those are the six essential clubs needed in "super league europe" (did you note the "europe") for the game to ever succeed.

OK I appreciate there's an alternative, appparently Halifax, Leigh and Featherstone are making great strides. Forget London, Wales and France "who needs 'em". When we can have Halifax fighting for the same fans, players and sponsors as Bradford and Fartown, when we can have Featherstone battling it out with Cas and Wakey for every paying fan and playing kid down Calder way, and of course Leigh, who can also play tug of war over every fan and player torn between going a couple of miles up the road or a coule of miles down the road.

Fine by me, the M62 mob can eat themselves, but don't tell me I have things wrong because I don't. I am not blessed with any more brains than anyone else on here, but I don't get weighed down by a "my club is not in Superleague, those damn foreigners are blocking the way, they should sord off, I don't care if my club isn't in superleague, I much prefer the championship, but oh god how I wish we were in there really" rubbish.

#465 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Why must you keep peddling myths? Why years down the road do you need to keep pretending?

Why do you hate London Broncos.

Change it to "London Sol"

#466 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

Why do you hate London Broncos.

Change it to "London Sol"

And you wonder why people send you abuse.

You keep making stupid stuff up.

#467 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

People send me abuse probably because I support Superleague and it ate their hamster.

Oddly enough only fans from clubs like Leigh, Fax and Fev (i.e. superleague "wannabees") send me abuse at the mo.

When Widnes were in the CC their fans who wanted to be in Superleague "sent me abuse" . They don't now?

When I suggested the cosy Hull/HKR set up in which each club dragged the other down was senseless in came the abuse.

The problem may not be I make stuff up (Like London ARL will continue to thrive if the RFL/SLE abandon the Broncos) it may be the truth grates?

#468 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

People send me abuse probably because I support Superleague and it ate their hamster.

Oddly enough only fans from clubs like Leigh, Fax and Fev (i.e. superleague "wannabees") send me abuse at the mo.

When Widnes were in the CC their fans who wanted to be in Superleague "sent me abuse" . They don't now?

When I suggested the cosy Hull/HKR set up in which each club dragged the other down was senseless in came the abuse.

The problem may not be I make stuff up (Like London ARL will continue to thrive if the RFL/SLE abandon the Broncos) it may be the truth grates?

You invent things like a Scottish club joining the national league, taunt people about its inevitability and then forget all about it. You perpetuate myths like the fabled "Barcelona SL club" even though you know full well there is no truth to them.

When I call you on them, you play the "You hate London Broncos" card to avoid discussion.

#469 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

You

You

you

you

It's not about me.

Rugby league at it's pinnacle, i.e. the end that the vast majority of people take any notice of, has to present as more than a Northern Sol.

Sorry, Northern "Game".

#470 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just stop peddling myths. It's obvious a fun game to you but there are people who seem to actually believe that a Barcelona club was on the cards because you and others keep talking about it.

And stop playing the "You hate expansion" card every time somebody disagrees with your latest flight of fantasy.

#471 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Yeh I've done it 12.901 times, but blimey solly your down as having done 13,502 posts :o

#472 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

It's obvious a fun game to you........

I don't find it fun watching our great game disintegrate because the SL chairmen are self centered, I don't find it fun arguing against people who have chips on their shoulder because their club isn't in Superleague. It would be fun if we could all pull towards what's best for the game and cut the petty jealousy.

Now stop pursuing me and stick to the rules of the board. I have to accept the rubbish you post so you accept the rubbish I post otherwise I'll put you on ignore.

#473 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,633 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

nobody should wonder why they recieve abuse
because nobody shoild recieve abuse.

you and I have had all sorts of discussions over the years. I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed them immensely.
Nobody should recieve abuse for having tyhe 'wrong' ideas. I speak from bitter experience.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#474 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Each to their own Chris and its only opinions at the end of the day which often have no right or wrong answer. I consider us friends despite our different viewpoints over things. It would be boring if we all agreed. I do try to see others views and look to think why they think such a way. And my views are often probably daft. But everybody has the right to their viewpoint and even better if they can back it up which I try to do. But when somebody makes things up that I have alleged to have said and twist words then I will challenge them publically which some may see as abuse and not send them a PM. Personally Abuse doesnt bother me that much, but I can understand people who do get upset. Sometimes due to other "things" that you know about, I do sometimes post things just to help me get through, as you know. Anyway keep in good health as know you dont come on here as much

#475 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,633 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Each to their own Chris and its only opinions at the end of the day which often have no right or wrong answer. I consider us friends despite our different viewpoints over things. It would be boring if we all agreed. I do try to see others views and look to think why they think such a way. And my views are often probably daft. But everybody has the right to their viewpoint and even better if they can back it up which I try to do. But when somebody makes things up that I have alleged to have said and twist words then I will challenge them publically which some may see as abuse and not send them a PM. Personally Abuse doesnt bother me that much, but I can understand people who do get upset. Sometimes due to other "things" that you know about, I do sometimes post things just to help me get through, as you know. Anyway keep in good health as know you dont come on here as much

Simon genuine empathy transcends arguments about a game of football.
If people are decent, and you can rely on them, then not not much else matters especially a game.

Being betrayed by people you trust, by people wou have gone the extra mile for makes who can be in super league and who can't pretty trivial.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#476 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

nobody should wonder why they recieve abuse
because nobody shoild recieve abuse.

you and I have had all sorts of discussions over the years. I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed them immensely.
Nobody should recieve abuse for having tyhe 'wrong' ideas. I speak from bitter experience.

Oh I enjoy a good debate and yes we've had some good ones.

I am not interested in abusing Parky, I'm just hoping that he might come to understand that his behaviour encourages this.

He constantly misrepresents what people have said.

#477 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Yeh I've done it 12.901 times, but blimey solly your down as having done 13,502 posts :o

You were wrong about Crusaders spending the full salary cap.
You were wrong about the Scottish club joining the national leagues.
You were wrong the second London SL club.

You will be proved wrong about the plan to centrally fund Broncos.

But it's me that post rubbish.

#478 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Declare your interest good sir? Who is your club??

You question whether it would be wise to "continue to do things the same way". What particular way is this??

Is this the SL way where an expansion club, with all the massive benefits it would bring to RL if Broncos took off in London or if Celtic Crusaders became a bigger club than some of the RU "no names" in Wales, are allowed only the same SKY money as Wigan, Leeds and Hull who have 140 years start, to achieve this goal???

Monsterous short sightedness by the insular SL chairmen dontcha think??

Do these people care for the game or are they just forming some sort of cliquey northern rich mans club.??

The point is there's no more money for Crusaders YES and the SL club no longer exists TRUE.

But the same point is there's no more money for Salford as it stands and the heartland SL club may exist no longer.

Same thing.

So shall we drop the expansion policy because nobody wants to watch or fund clubs outside the M62? And at the same time shall we drop the "M62 only" attitude of many on here because nobody wants to watch or fund most clubs in heartlands either??

Yes we had an experience with Gateshead and Paris that was unfortunate. nobody wants to watch or fund clubs who fail in Superleague.

Yes we had an experience with Oldham, Workington, Halifax, Leigh, Sheffield, Keighley, Bradford, Wakefield, and Salford, nobody wants to watch or fund northern clubs who fail in Superleague either.

Can you see the similarity? Can you see the ambiguity?

When clubs outside the M62 struggle I suspect some people have a wry smile and delight in suggesting best not try that again?

After all it doesn't work does it, Paris, Gateshead, Barcelona, Rome. London, Wales etc prove it doesn't work.

Trouble is Salford (formed in 1873, joined the NU in 1896, six times top club in the Rugby league, record attendance 26,000) doesn't work for sure and Bradford and Wakefield don't work either.

My point is simple.

There are no "expansion" or "heartland" clubs. there are only "Rugby League Clubs" and those who seek to create a "them and us" between the M62 and anywhere that is foreign to the M62 (that's just south of Sheffield BTW) such that they can declare "them" unviable, usually have a thumping big chip on their shoulder that leads them to suggest to their Northern Rugby League Working Mens Club (affiliated) that such aliens should be discouraged from membership .

Thing is if you want a successful Rugby League you make sure Wigan are at the heart of Lancashire,

Then you make sure Leeds sits proud at the heart of Yorkshire.

Then you add Hull to complete rugby Leagues traditional giants.

Then we need the capitol London. It's essential, in go the Broncos.

Now we need Wales its big Rugby Country (oooh no we need Doncaster, Sheffield, etc) they love their RL in Wales

Now we need Les Catalans to get that third international profile and France to the fore.

Those are the six essential clubs needed in "super league europe" (did you note the "europe") for the game to ever succeed.

OK I appreciate there's an alternative, appparently Halifax, Leigh and Featherstone are making great strides. Forget London, Wales and France "who needs 'em". When we can have Halifax fighting for the same fans, players and sponsors as Bradford and Fartown, when we can have Featherstone battling it out with Cas and Wakey for every paying fan and playing kid down Calder way, and of course Leigh, who can also play tug of war over every fan and player torn between going a couple of miles up the road or a coule of miles down the road.

Fine by me, the M62 mob can eat themselves, but don't tell me I have things wrong because I don't. I am not blessed with any more brains than anyone else on here, but I don't get weighed down by a "my club is not in Superleague, those damn foreigners are blocking the way, they should sord off, I don't care if my club isn't in superleague, I much prefer the championship, but oh god how I wish we were in there really" rubbish.

There are so many straw men in there I wouldn't know where to start even if I felt inclined to indulge you. It's an impressive and detailed rebuttal of the case against expansion, however as it's not a case I'm seeking to make it's largely redundant.

My point was and is that the means of expansion you advocate, namely top down expansion, has been tried and does not appear to have worked. I'm afraid on that point I must tell you that yes, I do think you have it wrong. I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise but to date you have chosen not to support your position preferring instead to focus on issues which I am not seeking to dispute.

SL teams in Dublin, Cardiff, Rome etc..., absolutely. No argument from me, it sounds great just give me a reason to believe that if we do it the same way as we did with Paris, Gateshead & to a lesser extent Crusaders we won't get the same result, no SL club within a couple of years. As you say it shouldn't be about expansion v heartland and I would be equally sceptical about any plan to expend valuable time, credibility and resources on a harebrained plan to drop heartlands clubs into SL on the off chance it might work.

My club, you ask? Featherstone. If that allows you to write me off as an abusive oik with a chip on my shoulder, so be it but humour me and explain why you have confidence that top down can work. I'm a reasonable guy, you might even persuade me!!

#479 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

There are so many straw men in there I wouldn't know where to start even if I felt inclined to indulge you. It's an impressive and detailed rebuttal of the case against expansion, however as it's not a case I'm seeking to make it's largely redundant.

My point was and is that the means of expansion you advocate, namely top down expansion, has been tried and does not appear to have worked. I'm afraid on that point I must tell you that yes, I do think you have it wrong. I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise but to date you have chosen not to support your position preferring instead to focus on issues which I am not seeking to dispute.

SL teams in Dublin, Cardiff, Rome etc..., absolutely. No argument from me, it sounds great just give me a reason to believe that if we do it the same way as we did with Paris, Gateshead & to a lesser extent Crusaders we won't get the same result, no SL club within a couple of years. As you say it shouldn't be about expansion v heartland and I would be equally sceptical about any plan to expend valuable time, credibility and resources on a harebrained plan to drop heartlands clubs into SL on the off chance it might work.

My club, you ask? Featherstone. If that allows you to write me off as an abusive oik with a chip on my shoulder, so be it but humour me and explain why you have confidence that top down can work. I'm a reasonable guy, you might even persuade me!!

Just a few questions

Are you pro expansion (I know the answer but amuse me please)

Would you consider having Cas, Fev and Wakey in SL at the expense of London or Catalan as expansion, and if so how.

How long, using the bottom up expansion model, would you estimate it will take for London Skolors ( for the sake of argument) to get to a position where they could be a viable SL club.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#480 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

Just a few questions

Are you pro expansion (I know the answer but amuse me please)

Yes.

Would you consider having Cas, Fev and Wakey in SL at the expense of London or Catalan as expansion, and if so how.

Not sure I entirely understand what you are asking. I would not actively seek to avoid having Cas, Fev and Wakey in SL together if all three were amongst the strongest 10,12,14 teams by whatever the applicable measure is/was. If London or Catalan were not among the strongest 10,12,14 then I could live with it. It wouldn't be ideal but if after taking into account whatever weighting we as a game choose to place upon 'expansion status' they were still not among the strongest teams, tough.

How long, using the bottom up expansion model, would you estimate it will take for London Skolors ( for the sake of argument) to get to a position where they could be a viable SL club.

How long is a piece of string? I suspect you may be falling into the same trap as parksider in assuming I'm arguing for a return to 30 years ago. I've no particular objection to fast tracking its just that I think we should have a reasonable expectation of success before we afford a team that privilege, regardless of geography.

If we genuinely and reasonably believe that by elevating Skolars to SL they will become, rather than already being, a viable SL club and would not cease to exist as a viable SL entity at the withdrawal of one source of finance then great, put 'em in. Preferably in addition to the existing clubs rather than as a replacement. If like Paris, Gateshead, Crusaders, Hull KR, Huddersfield....(get my drift? not just expansion teams) they appear to be reliant on a single source of finance and/or imported players who are about to become significantly more expensive then no, no special privileges. work your way through the pyramid, however long it takes. A desire to expand shouldn't blind us to the likelihood of its success.

Edited by intheshed, 22 December 2012 - 01:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users