Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#521 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,129 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Why haven't the RFL made a comment or offered help. Or have they?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#522 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

They don't see Salford as a big club I'm guessing or the debt is too large. But IMO it shouldn't be one rule for some it should be one rule for all. But I guess if the RFL keep helping clubs then what's stopping the clubs overspending and relying on the RFL to bail them out. But I really do hope Salford get through this even if they have to play in champ one at least the fans will still have a team to watch.

#523 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

I think they are still planning the stadium? They should be submitting a planning application soon. It is a few years away from being reality - I hope it does come off for them as they need to be in their home area and not in Leigh.

Forgive me for being excessively cynical, but if Salford stop playing at Barton, would the council look kindly on an application to build another stadium within its boundaries? Or will they put obstacles in Swinton's way?

BTW, Agecroft is quite a long way from Barton. You can find both on Google Earth or Google maps.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#524 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Forgive me for being excessively cynical, but if Salford stop playing at Barton, would the council look kindly on an application to build another stadium within its boundaries? Or will they put obstacles in Swinton's way?

BTW, Agecroft is quite a long way from Barton. You can find both on Google Earth or Google maps.

Possibly. The recssion and austerity is hitting council spending big time. And I expect they will be wary of rugby projects now. I do hope that Swinton get their new ground - our rivals, but a grand old club.

#525 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

As far as I'm aware, we haven't asked the council for any monies although I maybe wrong. I think the big difference between Agecroft and Barton is that Agecroft will be a community facility open 364 days a year which could be a reason the council don't compare the two projects when it comes to helping us.

I am aware that Salford Council have been asking Swinton to submit the planning application so I can't see there being an issue.

Posted Image

#526 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

As far as I'm aware, we haven't asked the council for any monies although I maybe wrong. I think the big difference between Agecroft and Barton is that Agecroft will be a community facility open 364 days a year which could be a reason the council don't compare the two projects when it comes to helping us.

I am aware that Salford Council have been asking Swinton to submit the planning application so I can't see there being an issue.

That sounds great Paul - I hope they accomodate your plans and it all produces a stadium / community set up to be proud of.

#527 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

This is why I think Broncos have something when they put 60 past Warrington with a lot of home grown players.

Wasn't the 60 put past Warrington before the Cup final or start of the playoffs? Seem to remember it was before a big game.

So why do you champion 60 by London as 'have something' but then do down Fev beating Cas because we had turned our attention to that game, highlighting the fact that Sheffield put 60 by us.

Looks like the usual double standards a bit there parky. In additon the Sheffield game was one of the srangest I have ever seen with quite a few of their tries coming from lost balls and interceptions. If you wanted to point a game out then I would look at Fax hammering us after the cup game because we looked to have very little left in the tank.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#528 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Do Salford have a twinning arrangement with a Championship club?

#529 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Do Salford have a twinning arrangement with a Championship club?

Yes, Oldham. For the benefit of those Salford fans on here, I'll refrain from the obvious joke. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#530 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Yes, Oldham. For the benefit of those Salford fans on here, I'll refrain from the obvious joke. :D

Thanks! :) :lol: - we have that had that much ###### anyway of late and plenty more to come ...

#531 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

According to Martyn Sadler the RFL are not in a position to help? At Bradford the RFL could ease the squeeze via buying the ground, not so at Barton??

A point to note is Catalans are reported to be running on a Euro 7.5M budget 2013 which is £6,000,000.

There's "help to stay alive" - although if the Reds aren't in SL they won't be able to play at Barton? If they scrape into SL with a few quid what losses are the next two years going to throw up? And help to compete which would mean millions have to be found, is beyond the RFL and it doesn't look like any investor is too interested according to Mr. Sadler.

That includes SLE who at least bid for the Bulls, why I dunno? Maybe to show investors they favoured the club for SL in future. No such signal for Salford or any investor, but then again I'd guess the RFL/SLE already know where they wanna go 2015.

That seems to be sadly where it stands now but corrections welcomed....

#532 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

Makes you wonder what they will do with Millennium Magic, the best I can come up with is not to include the Catalan Dragons but how that would work with league points I'm not sure.

Could have whoever is bottom of the league say a month before be selected to play a Championship select motivated by winning oney.

Both above are daft ideas but I can't think of better one's given the games are for league points.

#533 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Alternatively give the points to Widnes as they would be the team most affected by a Salford withdrawal and move the Calder derby across to the Sunday,
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#534 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yep, that seems a perfectly logical idea
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users