TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#61 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Salford Council have today voted to not give any more financial support to Salford RLFC.

We are desperate now. No money - bills to pay + court action to face.

The club have not put any season tickets on sale yet (rightly) - there is no new signings - no new shirt or merchandise - no tickets for the forthcoming friendlies ... I think they know the game is up.

We could be gone for good as the RFL have been very quiet and we are not one of the big clubs and are easily replaced. We don't own are ground and 350000 per year rent is out of reach outside SL. There is no buyer so I guess that it ..... and unless a miracle arrives this will be my last posting fora while. :(

#62 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Salford Council have today voted to not give any more financial support to Salford RLFC.

We are desperate now. No money - bills to pay + court action to face.

The club have not put any season tickets on sale yet (rightly) - there is no new signings - no new shirt or merchandise - no tickets for the forthcoming friendlies ... I think they know the game is up.

We could be gone for good as the RFL have been very quiet and we are not one of the big clubs and are easily replaced. We don't own are ground and 350000 per year rent is out of reach outside SL. There is no buyer so I guess that it ..... and unless a miracle arrives this will be my last posting fora while. :(

That's very sad. I guess Sale will completely take over the stadium for RU now. I guess SL will not buy the club like they were going to do for Bradford.

#63 Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Very sad news indeed. I wonder now if the struggling clubs in the area wished they had bitten the bullet all those years ago and merged to form a greater whole and pool their limited resources ...

Edited by Sir Galahad, 11 December 2012 - 06:34 PM.

Deus vult.

#64 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Salford council blame the recession
http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20029722

Salford City Reds: City council rejects rescue plan

Salford City Reds' future is in doubt after Salford City Council rejected a rescue plan for the troubled club.
The council had been asked to loan the club £750,000 until November, with Peel Holdings, who own their Salford City Stadium home, also loaning £750,000.
But the local authority rejected the plan after expressing concern over its financial viability and the level of risk involved with making the loan.
Salford are already the subject of a winding-up petition.

Play media

It was thought the Super League side, who have already received £1.5m of investment from the council, were close to administration in October after club sponsors Steuer Gregsson sought an overdue paymentand issued a winding-up petition.
A settlement was agreed, but another hearing has been scheduled for 7 January after two former players and HM Revenue & Customs joined the petition.
Luke Patten and Vinnie Anderson, who both left the Reds at the end of last season, each claimed they were owed around £40,000 after entering into a "salary sacrifice" arrangement - giving up the right to receive part of their wage, usually in return for some form of non-cash benefit - during their time with the club.
Meanwhile, Revenue & Customs said they were entitled to around £50,000 of unpaid tax.
Salford stressed at the time that they expected the matter to be resolved before January but now there is fresh doubt over their future.

Posted Image
Salford City Reds hoped to attract attendances of around 8,000 to home fixtures in 2012 - the final average figure was just under 5,500

Salford City mayor Ian Stewart said: "Times are tough and, in many ways, the Reds are yet another victim of the recession.
"We would have loved to try and help them out, but given the spending cuts the city council is already facing, that proved impossible."
Another Super League club, Bradford Bulls, were on the brink of extinction earlier this year and Salford were desperate to avoid a similar fate.
The Bulls went into administration in June and were saved by Omar Khan's consortium two months later, meaning they will keep their place in the top flight next season, with the Rugby Football League granting them a one-year probationary licence.
Reds chairman John Wilkinson had appealed on several occasions for new sponsors and investment and had often been forced to deny reports of the club being on the verge of administration.
He has also admitted that their relocation to their new £26m ground at the start of 2012 had denied them of a number of revenue streams.
They had targeted an average attendance of around 8,000 for home matches last season, but the final average figure was less than 5,500.
A groundshare with rugby union outfit Sale Sharks was announced in April - the same month in which Salford paid an overdue five-figure tax bill to HMRC.

Edited by flyingking, 11 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#65 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Blimey, not looking good.

Are we looking at a 13 team league next year? How much would losing a home game impact SL clubs already struggling for revenue?
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#66 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

All of them. They don't have a SKY contract to fulfill and a salary cap they are expected to reach as one of the elite..

They can drift along on whatever budget suits.

Some have done this for decades.

Why do you need to ask this stuff?

What an idiotic statement.

#67 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Blimey, not looking good.

Are we looking at a 13 team league next year? How much would losing a home game impact SL clubs already struggling for revenue?

There'd be a gap in Millenium Magic as well - and that also distorts the table for everyone else.

Either Salford or another team needs to be in Super League playing those games!
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#68 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Peel Holdings may well come up with the whole £1.5M

#69 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

There'd be a gap in Millenium Magic as well - and that also distorts the table for everyone else.

Either Salford or another team needs to be in Super League playing those games!

Be a brave club to take up the spot at this notice. Sure Oldham or Rochdale would jump at a Championship spot to replace them though.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#70 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Be a brave club to take up the spot at this notice. Sure Oldham or Rochdale would jump at a Championship spot to replace them though.

Agree. There's a lot to unpick.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#71 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

It's hard to know what to make of the situation at the moment.

In a way, I'm glad the Council said "No." I don't think it is right for a Council to use taxpayers' money to prop up a professional sports club. I know others do, but that doesn't make it right.

In a way, I'm glad that we must stop deluding ourselves. Salford are bust. Why would any sane person put money into such a failing enterprise? I'm a fan and I wouldn't. (Okay, I might put a bit in, but in order to make an impact, I and several hundred others would need to find at least £1,000 each)

What about next season? Without Salford, the rfl have an unworkable 13 team competition. The options are either keep Salford going with central funding (just how many clubs would the rfl end up funding?) or provide that central funding for an ambitious (and very brave) Championship club to fulfil the fixtures and drop a stripped and denuded Salford into the Championship. Neither makes for a 'happy ever after' outcome. I think the second is more likely. Before people start screaming about putting Salford into Champ1, it might be the most 'correct' thing to do, but it would cause another layer of fixture problems.

Another problem for the club would be where do they play? I doubt they could afford the rent at Barton. Is there a pitch at a local school they could use? Wall to wall doom and gloom for Salford right now. Never mind, it is only a game and tomorrow is another new day. I'll live.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

What an idiotic statement.

OK your an idiot.

Now where do we go from here???

#73 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,520 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Bloody hell!

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Salford council blame the recession
http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20029722

Salford City Reds: City council rejects rescue plan

Salford City Reds' future is in doubt after Salford City Council rejected a rescue plan for the troubled club.
The council had been asked to loan the club £750,000 until November, with Peel Holdings, who own their Salford City Stadium home, also loaning £750,000.
But the local authority rejected the plan after expressing concern over its financial viability and the level of risk involved with making the loan.
Salford are already the subject of a winding-up petition.

Play media

It was thought the Super League side, who have already received £1.5m of investment from the council, were close to administration in October after club sponsors Steuer Gregsson sought an overdue paymentand issued a winding-up petition.
A settlement was agreed, but another hearing has been scheduled for 7 January after two former players and HM Revenue & Customs joined the petition.
Luke Patten and Vinnie Anderson, who both left the Reds at the end of last season, each claimed they were owed around £40,000 after entering into a "salary sacrifice" arrangement - giving up the right to receive part of their wage, usually in return for some form of non-cash benefit - during their time with the club.
Meanwhile, Revenue & Customs said they were entitled to around £50,000 of unpaid tax.
Salford stressed at the time that they expected the matter to be resolved before January but now there is fresh doubt over their future.

Posted Image
Salford City Reds hoped to attract attendances of around 8,000 to home fixtures in 2012 - the final average figure was just under 5,500

Salford City mayor Ian Stewart said: "Times are tough and, in many ways, the Reds are yet another victim of the recession.
"We would have loved to try and help them out, but given the spending cuts the city council is already facing, that proved impossible."
Another Super League club, Bradford Bulls, were on the brink of extinction earlier this year and Salford were desperate to avoid a similar fate.
The Bulls went into administration in June and were saved by Omar Khan's consortium two months later, meaning they will keep their place in the top flight next season, with the Rugby Football League granting them a one-year probationary licence.
Reds chairman John Wilkinson had appealed on several occasions for new sponsors and investment and had often been forced to deny reports of the club being on the verge of administration.
He has also admitted that their relocation to their new £26m ground at the start of 2012 had denied them of a number of revenue streams.
They had targeted an average attendance of around 8,000 for home matches last season, but the final average figure was less than 5,500.
A groundshare with rugby union outfit Sale Sharks was announced in April - the same month in which Salford paid an overdue five-figure tax bill to HMRC.

I'm a bit of an idiot at times apparently, but I am smart enough to recognise a superb post complete with active references that really tells the whole story factually within a few inches of forum column space. Well done FK......

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Either Salford or .....................................

Featherstone Rovers

#76 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 827 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Sorry, I can't take any credit for pasting the BBC story in full.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#77 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

All very sad however one could see this coming:( I think that the next 6 months will be crucial as there are at least 2 other current SL clubs in dire financial straights......,

Come on CM just say who if you know.

You can't be done for slander, libel or defamation.

Who are they?

#78 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Sorry, I can't take any credit for pasting the BBC story in full.

But that was enough for me.....

Yours

Mr. I. Diot.

#79 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

OK your an idiot.

Now where do we go from here???

The difference is I didn't call you an idiot. Just your statement.

Featherstone aren't under pressure losing £100k a year, Leigh weren't under pressure last year when they nearly went bust, Barrow aren't under pressure to upgrade their stadium and many many more who have the same pressure.

As I said, your statement was idiotic.

Edited by a.n Other, 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Peel Holdings may well come up with the whole £1.5M

Is this on the basis Peel Holdings will not benefit from Salford's demise Phil?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users