Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#81 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I am glad the council didn't offer the loan, Salford is an area with many problems and there are better things to spend the money on.

Where does this leave Salford? In a bad state, no one on the horizon to step in,

I am worried I wouldn't support another team it would have to be the occasional game for me.

Sad day

#82 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Very sad but not a surprise if we are honest. SL, despite what the likes of dreamers like Parksider think, is a concept that is not right for most clubs in SL and is killing them slowly but surely. Alone in the past 2 or 3 years we have had Crusaders, Wakefield, London, Bradford and now Salford all near or gone bust. Theres rumours about Cas and Hull KR. SL in its current form is killing clubs and its now getting to the stage where every 6 months we get a SL club in deep trouble. The RFL and Clubs need to work something out about how SL or the Pro game will not just survive but grow. At the moment its in a real mess. Full time Rugby is not realistic for a number of clubs in SL and maybe its time to admit that and cut it down to 12 or even 10 clubs. The problem right now is where now for Salford? The RFL should step in and help as much as they did Bradford in a fair world. But do the RFL really care that much to help an alleged smaller SL club like Salford? And what is the future of SL when its clear its killing clubs rather than helping them? Whats the point of licences if clubs cant keep the promises they made just only 18 months ago?

#83 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I hope Salford get sorted somehow, genuinely. But the comparison with Bradford would stand up more if Salford fans/players had raised £500K beforehand. That's not a dig at Salford, but people claiming the situations should be treated exactly the same.

#84 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

What are the choices then?

a) Liquidation and past players get nothing - John gets nothing and the Council also zero. Pack up and play in CC at Leigh?

b ) Administration and sell to XYZ to play at the Stadium on a basis of % of income through the gates to the Council. Pay as you play. New Company to play in SL.

Just needs a bit of creative thought doesnt it? Even so the club has to continue on a basis of if 100% comes in then a maximum of 80% goes out and Salford (2012) Ltd will be the first club - probably ever - to pay Corporation Tax!

Edited by Segovia Carpet, 11 December 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#85 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I said it at the time and I'll say it again......The RFL created something of a precedent when they stepped in to help the Bulls. They surely can't turn their backs on Salford now.

Can they?

#86 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

The difference is I didn't call you an idiot. Just your statement.

Featherstone aren't under pressure losing £100k a year, Leigh weren't under pressure last year when they nearly went bust, Barrow aren't under pressure to upgrade their stadium and many many more who have the same pressure.

As I said, your statement was idiotic.

I'm a reasonable well mannered chap who will gracefully accept that no matter which club, in which division, they may self impose a pressure upon themselves to compete.

Fair enough.

But firstly my criticism was the idea that clubs making a few quid profit on a low turnover are hailed as "well managed" and clubs making a loss on a much bigger turnover were "badly managed" didn't really wash with me.

It cannot be as simple as that.

Secondly an "idiotic" post is surely the work of an idiot? Maybe a slip in time from an otherwise genius.

But it's not good manners to imply I'm an idiot for one second.

It would be better form to explain why I had that wrong rather than insult me.

So try not to be an idiot in future.,

#87 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

I said it at the time and I'll say it again......The RFL created something of a precedent when they stepped in to help the Bulls. They surely can't turn their backs on Salford now.

Can they?

As I said earlier, how much have they raised towards saving the club?

#88 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

I feel for the Salford speccies but deep down they knew they were living beyond their means in an area that they could not break the Soccer dominance. There is life outside SL and I believe they will do a FCUM which could potentially create far more passion in the local area to build from.
Any idiot knows that to sell a product you must understand your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. You then sell to your strengths - the RFL has peed away 117 years of strengths and weakened the sport as a consequence.Lets drop this autocratic, exclusive franchise nonsense now and formulate a structure that allows the cream to rise and the laws of nature to work as they were meant to.

#89 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Can they?

Did they? Yes they paid the Sky funding midseason to the Administrators to get the club through the rest of the season and then "made a bid" in order to flush out other buyers?

#90 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Can they?

Yes of course they can.

The Bulls are far more viable than Salford.

It's not about fairness it's about good business.

#91 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Yes of course they can.

The Bulls are far more viable than Salford.

It's not about fairness it's about good business.

How are the Bulls more viable? Their black hole was quiet large wasn't it?

#92 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I'm a reasonable well mannered chap who will gracefully accept that no matter which club, in which division, they may self impose a pressure upon themselves to compete.

Fair enough.

But firstly my criticism was the idea that clubs making a few quid profit on a low turnover are hailed as "well managed" and clubs making a loss on a much bigger turnover were "badly managed" didn't really wash with me.

It cannot be as simple as that.

Secondly an "idiotic" post is surely the work of an idiot? Maybe a slip in time from an otherwise genius.

But it's not good manners to imply I'm an idiot for one second.

It would be better form to explain why I had that wrong rather than insult me.

First of all the post wasn't intended to insult you.

However, If I consider the post to be idiotic I will say so. If you are too precious to take this, and you consider it to be bad mannered? Then tough I'm afraid.

#93 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

As I said earlier, how much have they raised towards saving the club?

from memory, Bradford raised £500k from fans on the basis that that funding was enough to be viable.

They then went bust, and were then bailed out.

So yes, pretty different circumstances. the first, being pretty close to being fraud if its construed that that the 'ask' from fans was based on 'being enough' to keep going. The company took peoples money (finance) when not a going concern...
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#94 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

How are the Bulls more viable? Their black hole was quiet large wasn't it?

Because a lot of money was raised by people with a lot of affection for the team and ultimately a buyer.

Lets hope the same happens to Salford, although the signs don't look good.

#95 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

from memory, Bradford raised £500k from fans on the basis that that funding was enough to be viable.

They then went bust, and were then bailed out.

So yes, pretty different circumstances. the first, being pretty close to being fraud if its construed that that the 'ask' from fans was based on 'being enough' to keep going. The company took peoples money (finance) when not a going concern...

We gave the money willingly, knowing full well it might not stop the rot. Unless you donated, I'm not sure it would affect you.

#96 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

The creditor split though is quite different. The Bulls owed scores of creditors, small businesses etc. Salford owe one major Sugar Daddy (John) then the Council of course - a couple of overseas players and a small amount to the IR - a few smaller creditors as well but the big creditor is JAW.

#97 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Very sad but not a surprise if we are honest. SL, despite what the likes of dreamers like Parksider think......

As I say once anyone breaks from the debate and starts to launch personal attacks they lose their credibility........

#98 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

How are the Bulls more viable?

Fare more quality juniors and far more fans upon which basis the RFL bought the ground.

#99 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

We gave the money willingly, knowing full well it might not stop the rot. Unless you donated, I'm not sure it would affect you.

IF i'd have donated I'd have asked for my money back. It was supposed to be enough to keep the entity going without being bailed out - the fact it then needed bailing out makes it worse in my eyes.

As said, if the club knew the £500k was not enough and took that cash they were on dodgy territory. its illegal for a company to trade (which is what taking money is!) when knowing you are not a going concern.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#100 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Should try that yourself.

Is there any word from the club what it intends to do now? Is there any news from the supporters about forming a group to raise money etc? I hope Salford step out of SL and rebuild in the championship. If they stay in SL I just cant see them ever getting out of the mess they are in. IF Salford cant afford to play at the new stadium what alternative(s) is there? Groundshare with Swinton/Leigh? Share with a Soccer club?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users