Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Trouble/Salford Takeover

• Please log in to reply
533 replies to this topic

#141 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Atmosphere? The Willows was a dump..unfit for purpose. How long has the new ground been open and yet its already being rubbished? It can't be that bad as over 9,000 turned out at the weekend to watch Sale Sharks..more than the England v France game I went to.

Agreed it was a bit of a dump.

Doesn't matter that it's only just opened, you can never change the location of the ground and so it will never take off in my opinion.

And comparing League and Union attendances doesn't count for anything, this is a Rugby League problem with Salford!

#142 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Did they? Yes they paid the Sky funding midseason to the Administrators to get the club through the rest of the season and then "made a bid" in order to flush out other buyers?

Yes they did, you nicely missed off the purchase of the lease for "iconic" Odsal and the 'cough' "market value" rental terms.

#143 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Salford to me have in recent years only payed lip service to junior development.

It's tough when the junior RL set up in Salford is scant, and when any quality kid in the Manchester/Salford area may have offers from Leeds, Fartown, Bradford, Wigan, Saints and Wire as well as their local club. Any kid that does become a star at Salford as we see will still end up with one of those clubs anyway.

There isn't enough young talent to go round.

Similarly the Salford club are renown for losing, being relegated and not getting in the play offs. They are famous for letting 94 in at Odsal.That supresses crowds and that's whey RFL/SLE know they really want an even competition so clubs have the chance to "do a bit" and attract people through the gate, they may be able to keep. That's why Championship clubs wanting to enter SL have to realise fans just won't turn up because it's SL. Widnes must have been disappointed with their showing too.

10,000 turned up for old times sake when the Willows went but that did not translate to crowds at Barton. Even the away crowd was poor at times as a fixture with Salford doesn't excite.

I was interested in Page's point about Barton and the cost. More so when you look at Sale and their disinterested owner and the club bottom of the RU which he pointed out.

It was suggested that Peel Holdings may prop the club up in order to be able to keep the stadium money coming in? But is that a viable proposition financially and should RFL/SLE allow a club to be "propped up" so some rich development company can keep getting the rent - anyone well up on this?? Thoughts??

#144 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,077 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Agreed it was a bit of a dump.

Doesn't matter that it's only just opened, you can never change the location of the ground and so it will never take off in my opinion. Think of it this way. Once upon a time, there was no ground there. Now there is. Equally, once upon a time, there were no pubs there. Now the developers see that quite a few people go to the ground, they may find a pub makes perfect sense .I think it might not always be good business to site a stadium because there are pubs nearby. Pubs as we know , can be temporary, as can pub licences. Finally, it may well be that the development plan for the area already includes a pub.

And comparing League and Union attendances doesn't count for anything, this is a Rugby League problem with Salford! ​ Certainly, 9,000 people went, as did almost that many when England played

#145 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

For a club "unable to grow its crowds", Salford averaged 4,166 in 2010; 4,563 in 2011 and now 5,431 in 2012.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#146 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

You would expect there to be a significant increase in the move to the new stadium though. It's if they retain them which will be interesting (if they get the chance)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#147 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

You would expect there to be a significant increase in the move to the new stadium though.

Why would you? That's a nudging 20% increase right there.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#148 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

For a club "unable to grow its crowds", Salford averaged 4,166 in 2010; 4,563 in 2011 and now 5,431 in 2012.

An average growth rate of 632 fans a year.

Marvellous growth. I estimate Salford will be solvent paying full cap in four years time from now on that growth. Sounds a great investment.

Do they need to go back to the Willows every year to recreate their "last game" before 10,000 old time fans? to keep the attendance levels up :lol:

Salford returned to SL in 2009 on 4390 a figure that remained stagnant until the "stadium effect" which wasn't enough.

Edited by The Parksider, 12 December 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#149 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

You would expect there to be a significant increase in the move to the new stadium though.

Nigh on 50% for Wire and Hull.

After that you need to win some matches to increase it.

A 20% increase on a low crowd anyway and no change to losing all the time gave Mr. Wilkinson all he needed to know.

#150 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Why would you? That's a nudging 20% increase right there.

Not to be childish, but why wouldn't you? The last match at the Willows has a lot to say for that 20% nudge - 10.000 for a match that going by the rest of the 2011 attendences would have been lucky to attract 3,500 on a regular weekend.

A new stadium creates a lot of intrigue for home and away fans alike - but only when it's new. Salford certainly haven't made the most of the move.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 12 December 2012 - 02:42 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#151 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Peel have an application for planning permission to develop the restof the site around Barton, There a few places to drink, but most are a walk away. Airport, Eccles RLFC etc.

The stadium needs some extra work and hopefully this wil happen they are trying out the fans bar which started late last season.

#152 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Peel have an application for planning permission to develop the restof the site around Barton, There a few places to drink, but most are a walk away. Airport, Eccles RLFC etc.

The stadium needs some extra work and hopefully this wil happen they are trying out the fans bar which started late last season.

Lets hope so, unfortunately something should have been in place when the stadium was built. Basically they've built the stadium surrounded by wasteland and nothing else and not considered much else. Train station 2 miles away, buses ?, places to eat/drink ?

Just to pick up on one more point, Salford was officially the longest time i've had to wait trying to get out of a car park lol! This is a brand new stadium with people having no idea the logistics of getting around 5,000 out of a car park, brilliant. Got out faster at 40,000+ crowds! Funny really.

In all honesty I hope something improves and I would go back but for the next few seasons I think you'll see a difference in attendance figures, if not just from away fans!

#153 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Awful situation, but who didn't see this coming unfortunately?

Salford have no money. No assets. A small squad. A small fan base. Who's going to buy them out? I think that unless a multi-millionaire willing to make a huge loss for a few years is found quickly, the RFL need to make a decision. Salford won't make it through the season for sure under present circumstances. Should they shop around for a potential replacement?

The league were willing to buy Bradford in the absence of any other buyer. The very least they can do is the same for Salford.

#154 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

What are the choices then?

a) Liquidation and past players get nothing - John gets nothing and the Council also zero. Pack up and play in CC at Leigh?

b ) Administration and sell to XYZ to play at the Stadium on a basis of % of income through the gates to the Council. Pay as you play. New Company to play in SL.

Just needs a bit of creative thought doesnt it? Even so the club has to continue on a basis of if 100% comes in then a maximum of 80% goes out and Salford (2012) Ltd will be the first club - probably ever - to pay Corporation Tax!

Re the stadium, new legislation has recently come into force that requires councils to ensure that any council owned facilities can only be let at their true market value. So a % of gate income scheme may not be viable, there would need to be a minimum fixed level at commercial market rate. Allerdale Borough Council were recently forced to quadruple the rent on Workington football club's usage of Borough Park due to this requirement.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#155 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

The league were willing to buy Bradford in the absence of any other buyer. The very least they can do is the same for Salford.

And presumably it will attract the same level of hysteria and condemnation?

Edited by Johnoco, 12 December 2012 - 04:18 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#156 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Do Salford still play on Friday nights?

Maybe that's the problem, not very family friendly.

#157 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

i see salford as a similar sized club to widnes, we have never had a massive following even when we were the "cup kings" but we have survived many calamities in the past and i really hope that salford can survive, super league needs a team in the manchester conurbation and salford must be saved.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#158 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

super league needs a team in the manchester conurbation

Genuine question - why?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#159 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Do Salford still play on Friday nights?

Maybe that's the problem, not very family friendly.

I think that is a bit of a red herring with respect. Friday nights haven't done Leeds and a number of other clubs any harm. Headingley is packed with kids on a Friday night.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#160 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

The bulls debts were no where near as bad as Salfords are though and the RFL got a stadium out of bailing the bulls out. The RFL won't bail Salford out because there is nothing for them to gain from it. Also if they do bail Salford out why don't the rest in SL just spend whatever they want to the RFL will front the fee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users