Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

DP's dilemma

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Regarding props, did anyone see the bit of recent banter between Steve Crossley and Matt James on Twitter? Crossley put on his Twitter feed he would be returning to Dewsbury with Fev for their first home game, James replied asking him if he'd already picked himself ...all good humoured but did highlight that there is going to be competition for jerseys even at prop, those two and England as well as Haley when he's fit will all be hoping to start and Lockwood and Bostock (even though its perhaps not their natural position) might see prop as being their best route into the 17; not to mention the very promising lads from the U23s too who could get a look-in at some stage.

Yes I saw the banter between them on Twitter
Im Fev and im proud

#22 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Proper good bantz?

Cummins Out.

#23 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

i know i'm probably on my own here, but i think Bossy lacks the one essential ingredient required to be a prop, and that's aggression,that little bit of a nasty edge.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#24 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

i know i'm probably on my own here, but i think Bossy lacks the one essential ingredient required to be a prop, and that's aggression,that little bit of a nasty edge.

Nope, not on your own. I think he's a more than useful squad member, and could cover prop at a push, however I think his best place was where he was most of last season; impact 2nd row, coming off the bench.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#25 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Nope, not on your own. I think he's a more than useful squad member, and could cover prop at a push, however I think his best place was where he was most of last season; impact 2nd row, coming off the bench.

AGreed

A Fev Blog

#26 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Regarding props, did anyone see the bit of recent banter between Steve Crossley and Matt James on Twitter? Crossley put on his Twitter feed he would be returning to Dewsbury with Fev for their first home game, James replied asking him if he'd already picked himself ...all good humoured but did highlight that there is going to be competition for jerseys even at prop, those two and England as well as Haley when he's fit will all be hoping to start and Lockwood and Bostock (even though its perhaps not their natural position) might see prop as being their best route into the 17; not to mention the very promising lads from the U23s too who could get a look-in at some stage.

I am quite happy about the prop position PH but feel that we are weak in the cover for centre. When we lost to Sheffield it was the centre where we were vulnerable. With Smeaton being out for a while is it going to be Worthington and Hepworth or do you see somebody else there and do you think that we are covered in this position.

#27 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am quite happy about the prop position PH but feel that we are weak in the cover for centre. When we lost to Sheffield it was the centre where we were vulnerable. With Smeaton being out for a while is it going to be Worthington and Hepworth or do you see somebody else there and do you think that we are covered in this position.

Had quite a big turnover in this position and as yet, no one appears to have made it their team spot on a regular basis.

#28 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

dont be surprised to see Ben Helliwell in Sam's shirt from the start...DP spoke highly of him at the last forum B)

#29 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I for one am not a fan of Chappell in the centres but DP used him in that position for injuries last season so I guess their is another option their.

#30 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Chappell is a Second Rower so naturally he won't be as strong there.

Is he even signed up?
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#31 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

i quite liked Nathan in the centre, he scored plenty of tries from there.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#32 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

i quite liked Nathan in the centre, he scored plenty of tries from there.

It's his one on one defence against a faster and stronger player that lets him down I think OR.

#33 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

It's his one on one defence against a faster and stronger player that lets him down I think OR.

Shades of Sheffield?

#34 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Shades of Sheffield?

Yeah col I just don't think he's got the pace or the defence needed to play in that position. But that's just my opinion. I would keep him as a stand in forward though as I think he does a job for us in that position.

#35 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Scored an hat trick on the wing....

I think his favoured position is second row but opportunities there are limited.

Cummins Out.

#36 exiled rover

exiled rover
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Could Tommy or Ian Hardman play centre?
Have either done so in their earlier careers?

#37 roosterbooster

roosterbooster
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

What about Lamont Bryan at centre?

#38 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Could Tommy or Ian Hardman play centre?
Have either done so in their earlier careers?

Both. When Tommy signed in Spring 08 the wingers were Waine Pryce and Lee Lingard and the full back was Loz Wildbore. Tommy Saxton often played in the left centre position, vacated by John Whittle the season earlier. When Hardman signed the following season he replaced Wildbore at Full back, but his squad number was 3 infering that he'd been signed as right centre, but Andy Kirk continued in that berth. By is own admission Tommy's defence is probably his limiting factor in the centres, and although Ian H has sound defence his pace is and size is probably more suited to full back.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 06 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#39 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I hope there will be more squad rotation next year, so I don't think the initial starting line-up is crucial. What's more important is ensuring that any unforeseen absences are adequately covered, especially for big games. If winning the league has less prestige than the GF, or even the NRC, then DP should have enough faith in his squad to rest key players such as Finn, Kain & Saxton in some of the so-called "easier" matches, so that we already have cover worked out if they get injured the week before a big game.

#40 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

To be honest I don't think DP will have much of a problem this season as he can rest players and do what he likes realy with the size of our squad this season. Before the start of last season I was worried about four clubs knocking us off top spot but this season I'm not worried about any club on paper we have the best squad by far for next season and the best coach so all being well it could be a triumphant attack on the treble next season.