Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nobby fears his RL coaching career could be over soon

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

http://www.thesun.co...b-sharpish.html

#2 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Would be a shame if he is correct as I believe he still has alot to offer
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#3 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

It seems amazing that he hasn't found a suitable Club,as clearly he has a strong track record behind him.I just wonder if he has possibly priced himself out of the market,in these more stringent financial times?

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

He's doing ok as a commentator / pundit. I like him on Premier.

He could probably do a good job as Director of Rugby somewhere, if he lets the coach get on with it

A Fev Blog

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I wonder if one of the things blocking him is that the year after he left Wigan we won the league and GF with the same team?

Don't get me wrong he's a good solid coach who has a lot to offer especially from a defensive perspective, and I also like his commentary.

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

An odd thought considering the job he'd done at Wigan before that and the job he did at Crusaders after. I don't see how that would block him from getting the London job for example. I'd understand in the Catalans case if he'd have gone to Wigan and they were already getting to semis and hadn't progressed them from there.

I'd think the fact he's lost out on these jobs is far more to do with his terms being unfavourable than a single year in his track record. In the Catalans specific case, you can understand going with a bloke who is already there and speaks the language rather than a (very good) coach who would likely want some extra money for being uprouted from West Yorkshire.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I wonder if one of the things blocking him is that the year after he left Wigan we won the league and GF with the same team?

One of the criticisms of Brian Mclennan at Leeds was that he only won because of Tony Smith's team. Shouldn't Tony Smith be criticised because Leeds carried on winning after he left?

People can twist situations whichever way they want to criticise people
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#8 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

By the same token, some people (nobody who posts on here) still don't give Nobby credit at the Bulls as it was Matthew Elliot's team!!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

He would do a good job for someone, but there are a lot more decent coaches than teams these days, especially with the temptation to try to get a Michael Maguire, and hire an NRL Assistant coach.

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

One of the criticisms of Brian Mclennan at Leeds was that he only won because of Tony Smith's team. Shouldn't Tony Smith be criticised because Leeds carried on winning after he left?

People can twist situations whichever way they want to criticise people

Doesn't really apply to Tony Smith as they were winning before he left. Michael Maguire turned a Wigan side who were nearly winning into a team that dominated the league without adding any players. That put a benchmark on Noble at that time in his career.
Posted Image

#11 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Doesn't really apply to Tony Smith as they were winning before he left. Michael Maguire turned a Wigan side who were nearly winning into a team that dominated the league without adding any players. That put a benchmark on Noble at that time in his career.

Did he not bring 3 players with him from the Storm?

#12 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'd have him at Widnes with Betts as his No 2.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#13 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,808 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Did he not bring 3 players with him from the Storm?

No, that was the season after.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users