Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Dandy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

I bought the Dandy today. After 3,610 issues this is the last one on paper as it will only now be available on-line.

Tuesday the Dandy; Wednesday the Eagle and Thursday the Beano was childhood heaven to me.

They included the first ever edition as a bonus and out of 24 pages 10 were solid closely printed reading so kids were obviously different back then in 1937.

They finished the whole thing with Paul McCartney singing Hey Jude!

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#2 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

I can't find a copy of this anywhere - it's a limited print run apparently a few people are just buying copies to sell on ebay at inflated prices. If only these scamps had done this six months ago, it wouldn't be going out of business.

I must admit I was far more a Beano fan than a Dandy one, but I still hold a massive fondness for it. Sad to see it go. I believe it was the world's longest conintuously running comic, which I guess will pass on to the Beano in about a year or so's time.

I wish it well with it's online venture, but I'm dubious about it's longevity, especially with the way they've set up how you buy the thing. Seems a bit complicated.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 06 December 2012 - 11:59 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#3 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I can't find a copy of this anywhere - it's a limited print run apparently a few people are just buying copies to sell on ebay at inflated prices. If only these scamps had done this six months ago, it wouldn't be going out of business.

Sorry to hear about your business, do you run a CTN?

I always preferred the Beano as well - it seemed to have far more wit. The Bash Street Kids were unbeatable.

Looking again at the Dandy it's interesting to see how many stories are based on food and/or greedy (overweight) people. Definately not PC.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,971 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Was a big fan of The Dandy in the 70's and was almost neck and neck with Beano for a while with Winker Watson & Screwy Driver et al. Bully Beef & Chips was first rate.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#5 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your business, do you run a CTN?

Not my business - I meant the Dandy! Poor wording, my apologies
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#6 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I must admit I was far more a Beano fan than a Dandy one, but I still hold a massive fondness for it. Sad to see it go. I believe it was the world's longest conintuously running comic, which I guess will pass on to the Beano in about a year or so's time.

I wish it well with it's online venture, but I'm dubious about it's longevity, especially with the way they've set up how you buy the thing. Seems a bit complicated.

I actually thought the threat to close had been a publicity stunt to boost sales. A few years ago it seemed as though DC Thomson tried such a ploy every year. Either it was 'political correctness' causing a change to a character, or 'health and safety' changing a storyline. It was all complete nonsense, but, predictaby, the tabloids went into hysteria mode - great publicity.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#7 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Yeah - I remember in the 90s the Bash Street Kids becoming PC versions of themselves - Fatty became thin etc, and Desperate Dan "leaving" the Dandy. On both occasions, these stories were resolved in a couple of weeks - planned all along obviously as the comics are drawn months ahead. Typically the tabloids pretended it was their outcry that changed things - but much like the "Free the Weatherfield One" story in Corrie, it wasn't.

I think on both occasions though it was an anniversary for either the character or the comic so it wasn't just a publicity stunt (although sadly this last Dandy is almost bang on on it's 75th Birthday)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 07 December 2012 - 08:49 AM.

SQL Honours

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

I actually thought the threat to close had been a publicity stunt to boost sales. A few years ago it seemed as though DC Thomson tried such a ploy every year. Either it was 'political correctness' causing a change to a character, or 'health and safety' changing a storyline. It was all complete nonsense, but, predictaby, the tabloids went into hysteria mode - great publicity.

Once apon a time, I'm sure it was the Dandy, they introduced a character called Mustapha Fagg!!

Forgot what they changed it to after "parental protests" but it was never the same again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users