Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield get planning permission

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hope this helps :)

Within 4 months of the approval of the final reserved matters seems to be the key point here. Although the application is approved, the reserved matters could be submitted any time as long as the application is valid. Work can't start until the reserved matters are approved but must be within 4 months of that approval. The developer can sit on the reserved matters application as long as they want.

This doesn't mean that work must start within the next 4 months it means the reserved matters must be approved within the next 2 years 8 months and work can start anytime from reserved matters approval and 3 years.

That's my take on it, others with more knowledge may point out my understanding is wrong.

I hope it starts ASAP, by the way.

Edited by Padge, 07 December 2012 - 08:57 AM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#22 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Well done Wakey some good news at last, Hope everything goes smoothly now.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#23 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Excellent news - well done Wakey, I look forward to going.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

How is it being funded
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Within 4 months of the approval of the final reserved matters seems to be the key point here. Although the application is approved, the reserved matters could be submitted any time as long as the application is valid. Work can't start until the reserved matters are approved but must be within 4 months of that approval. The developer can sit on the reserved matters application as long as they want.

This doesn't mean that work must start within the next 4 months it means the reserved matters must be approved within the next 2 years 8 months and work can start anytime from reserved matters approval and 3 years.

That's my take on it, others with more knowledge may point out my understanding is wrong.

I hope it starts ASAP, by the way.

it is planned to start work in 2014 and stadium be open in 2015
Posted Image

#26 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

it is planned to start work in 2014 and stadium be open in 2015

That should give them plenty of time to sort out the reserved matters, just about 12 months, its a tight build schedule though if they are going to use it on day one of the 2015 season. Best of luck with it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#27 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

A disgraceful decision by wakefield Council allowing this large site to be built on Green belt land, which in fact use to belong to Rothwell council in Leeds and then was passed over to Wakefield council when the borders were changed when the M62 was built.

However Wakefield council appear to not honour the green belt land passed onto them, granting this construction.

However one thing i do not get from Wakefield Trinity, is why do they wish to re locate their club as close as possible to Leeds and the other prefessional clubs in the region. Surely if they were to move to a new stadium, would it not be best that it actually was in Wakefield? Would not South Wakefield be the best place to re locate to where there are no other professional rugby league clubs in the vacinity?

With Wakefield practically moving to Leeds, should this now affect their super League license? I always thought Super League preferred not to have 2 clubs from the same place

#28 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

The funding Kenilworth, comes from the developer. I think those in the planning know call it as an enabling project. So the developer applies to the council for planning permissioln, in this instance it is a huge site including commercial, hotel ,residential etc. In return for receiving planning permission the developer agrees to give land at the site and build the stadium and sports facilities ( which are extensive, all weather pitches, sports hall etc etc ) once built the developer gives the Sports facilities and Stadium the the community trust, which is headed by Sir Rodney Walker. The Community Trust then own and manage the facilities for the Wakefield community. A win win win win situation : the developer gets his planning permission for the whole site and hopefuly makes a fortune, the council gets sports facilities built in Wakefield at no cost to the local taxpayers, the local community gets first class sports facilities, 2000 + new jobs, and a new stadium, Wakefield Trinity become ancor tenants of the new stadium which will comply to SL standards and will allow Trinity to grow their business. The big question is why the hell was this project call in for a public inquiry after Wakefield council had approved it. This PI has delayed the project by two years, thats 2000 new jobs delayed. Anyway all looks good now.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

A disgraceful decision by wakefield Council allowing this large site to be built on Green belt land, which in fact use to belong to Rothwell council in Leeds and then was passed over to Wakefield council when the borders were changed when the M62 was built.

However Wakefield council appear to not honour the green belt land passed onto them, granting this construction.

However one thing i do not get from Wakefield Trinity, is why do they wish to re locate their club as close as possible to Leeds and the other prefessional clubs in the region. Surely if they were to move to a new stadium, would it not be best that it actually was in Wakefield? Would not South Wakefield be the best place to re locate to where there are no other professional rugby league clubs in the vacinity?

With Wakefield practically moving to Leeds, should this now affect their super League license? I always thought Super League preferred not to have 2 clubs from the same place

Given the ancient pile that is Headingley and the impossibility of roofing the standing end, maybe Leeds could share with Trinity at the new stadium, given it's historical links with Leeds.

#30 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Its not green belt land, it was of course an coal mine untill 1980 ish, the land was reclaimed when the mine closed and redesignated at green belt, the land has recently been removed from green belt. We are not talking about unspolit green field land we are talking about an ex coal mine, land that created work for the loacl community and in the naer future will once again enable much needed employment as well as provide first class sports facilities. The site is within easy walking distance of Stanley, Routhwell, Oulton, Outwood etc which are all strong RL areas. The thinking is that with the change is the demographics of the Belle Vue area over the last 30 years , Trinity get very little walked up support from the immeadiate local area ( despite much effort over the years the local UK Asian population has not bought into the game / club ) . The move to Newmarket will mean the club will be nearer to core RL support. We shall see

#31 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Mick, surely the key is funding, neither the club or the council are funding the build, this development enables it to be built by the developer. The council, the punlic inquiry and now the secretary of state all 100% agree that this is the best site. These professional planning experts over 8 years can not all be wrong.

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,830 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Good luck and I trust all goes well. and i think its only 2 miles nearer Headingley, isn't it?

Edited by JohnM, 07 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#33 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

The site is going to be enormous, as burke says its not only the stadium but all the over stuff hotels commercial industrial, this is not just the old coal mine but all the green belt land surrounding it being built on. The Stadium was an excuse for the council to grant this to be built over the green belt land, and hide the fact how much land is being used and get the backing of the people of Wakefield, otherwise this would of been rejected and people of Wakefield would not of been so forth in supporting it.
However it is Leeds city council opposing this and have every right to do so, this was geen belt land belonging to leeds and was handed over to wakefield, Now wakefield are now building on the site.
With all the land available in Wakefield why is it being built here on green belt land? The developer is the one having a laugh here.
Regarding RL, The RL areas spoken that are right next door to this site - Oulton & Rothwell are both Part of leeds, Yet they wish to get support from here?
Rothwell borders onto Hunslet, one of the biggest hotbeds of RL in the UK, that town already has a pro club.
Plus they moving closer to Castleford & Featherstone, are they planning to draw support from these areas too?
Why don't Wakefield concentrate on getting support from the People of Wakefield and play in Wakefield. Rather than trying to uproot and move as far away as possible from Wakefield to the very edge of their borders. Hoping to gain support from people outside of Wakefield.

Edited by MikeFletchersBarmyArmy, 07 December 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#34 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

The site is going to be enormous, as burke says its not only the stadium but all the over stuff hotels commercial industrial, this is not just the old coal mine but all the green belt land surrounding it being built on. The Stadium was an excuse for the council to grant this to be built over the green belt land, and hide the fact how much land is being used and get the backing of the people of Wakefield, otherwise this would of been rejected and people of Wakefield would not of been so forth in supporting it.
However it is Leeds city council opposing this and have every right to do so, this was geen belt land belonging to leeds and was handed over to wakefield, Now wakefield are now building on the site.
With all the land available in Wakefield why is it being built here on green belt land? The developer is the one having a laugh here.
Regarding RL, The RL areas spoken that are right next door to this site - Oulton & Rothwell are both Part of leeds, Yet they wish to get support from here?
Rothwell borders onto Hunslet, one of the biggest hotbeds of RL in the UK, that town already has a pro club.
Plus they moving closer to Castleford & Featherstone, are they planning to draw support from these areas too?
Why don't Wakefield concentrate on getting support from the People of Wakefield and play in Wakefield. Rather than trying to uproot and move as far away as possible from Wakefield to the very edge of their borders. Hoping to gain support from people outside of Wakefield.

Why should clubs have their support limited by geographical boundaries, clubs are entitled, nay obliged, to seek out supporters from wherever they can get them.

Telephone conversation.

Ticket Office "Good Morning Leeds Rhinos"

Supporter "I would like a family season ticket please"

Ticket Office "Two hundered pounds sir, How would you like to pay"

Supporter "Credit Card"

Ticket Office "Details please"

Supporter "Visa 1234 5678......."

Ticket Office "House number and postcode please sir"

Supporter "11, BD20"

Ticket "BD 20, BD 20 did you say BD20"

Supporter "Yes"

Ticket Office "Well sir I have never heard anything so daft, don't you know that BD20 is allocated to Keighley, you either watch Keighley or you watch nobody"

Supporter "But but"

Ticket Office "No buts sir, its Keighley or nothing for you, Bye"

Click

Ticket Office "Just had a right idiot on the phone, wanting to give us £200 but he lives in keighley, I've told him to take a hike".

Edited by Padge, 07 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#35 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Wakefield are doing nothing wrong here and will still be located within the Wakefield council area. By your logic people who live in Kippax, which is 3 miles away from Castleford, should all support Leeds (about 13 miles from Headingley) as they live in a village with an LS postcode.

I am unaware of the ins and outs of the green belt issue. I used to walk my dog on the Newmarket colliery site and its massive, stretching from Bottom Boat at least half a mile east. I would have thought this land was classed as brown belt. Have you any plans to show the green belt area that is to be included in the development?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Why should clubs have their support limited by geographical boundaries, clubs are entitled, nay obliged, to seek out supporters from wherever they can get them.

Telephone conversation.

Ticket Office "Good Morning Leeds Rhinos"

Supporter "I would like a family season ticket please"

Ticket Office "Two hundered pounds sir, How would you like to pay"

Supporter "Credit Card"

Ticket Office "Details please"

Supporter "Visa 1234 5678......."

Ticket Office "House number and postcode please sir"

Supporter "11, BD20"

Ticket "BD 20, BD 20 did you say BD20"

Supporter "Yes"

Ticket Office "Well sir I have never heard anything so daft, don't you know that BD20 is allocated to Keighley, you either watch Keighley or you watch nobody"

Supporter "But but"

Ticket Office "No buts sir, its Keighley or nothing for you, Bye"

Click

Ticket Office "Just had a right idiot on the phone, wanting to give us £200 but he lives in Keighley, I've told him to take a hike".

Quite right too. He shud git dahn t Coogar pak asap. Support yer local teem.

#37 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Wakefield are doing nothing wrong here and will still be located within the Wakefield council area. By your logic people who live in Kippax, which is 3 miles away from Castleford, should all support Leeds (about 13 miles from Headingley) as they live in a village with an LS postcode.

I am unaware of the ins and outs of the green belt issue. I used to walk my dog on the Newmarket colliery site and its massive, stretching from Bottom Boat at least half a mile east. I would have thought this land was classed as brown belt. Have you any plans to show the green belt area that is to be included in the development?

The logic is you support your local RL team. The logic you implied there, means no one in Castleford can now support castleford because they now have a Wakefield Post code.

Isn't RL all about expansion? Yet we have a club here moving into another region closer to the other Proffesional Rugby League clubs
Leeds
Hunslet
Castleford
Featherstone

South of Wakefield there is no Pro RL club Until Sheffield. Surely this would of been a ideal area to move to.

Maybe Wakefield could change their name to South Leeds Trinity when they move into their new stadium

#38 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

The logic is you support your local RL team. The logic you implied there, means no one in Castleford can now support castleford because they now have a Wakefield Post code.

Isn't RL all about expansion? Yet we have a club here moving into another region closer to the other Proffesional Rugby League clubs
Leeds
Hunslet
Castleford
Featherstone

South of Wakefield there is no Pro RL club Until Sheffield. Surely this would of been a ideal area to move to.

Maybe Wakefield could change their name to South Leeds Trinity when they move into their new stadium

Mate, Im not necessarily disagreeing with your general point but Belle Vue is much closer to Fev than Rothwell is.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#39 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Leeds
Hunslet
Castleford
Featherstone

What does 2 miles outside Wakefield city centre matter??? The facts are a developer wants to build a new stadium for wtw in Wakefield right next to the m62 on a old coal mine which isn't green belt anymore! It's the only way we would get one. Your ideas on expansion are nonesenical because we are Wakefield trinity wildcats building a new stadium in Wakefield not Barnsley or Sheffield...
Posted Image

#40 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

What does 2 miles outside Wakefield city centre matter??? The facts are a developer wants to build a new stadium for wtw in Wakefield right next to the m62 on a old coal mine which isn't green belt anymore! It's the only way we would get one. Your ideas on expansion are nonesenical because we are Wakefield trinity wildcats building a new stadium in Wakefield not Barnsley or Sheffield...

Facts are, the sight was Green Belt when Wakefield council gained it,but now its not green belt and its a coincidence it is going to be built on. The stadium is an excuse for the developer to be granted to build on it. Would he of been so keen to build on it, if it was the stadium only?.

If you are Wakefield trinity wildcats and are proud to be wakefield, then why do they wish to move to the very edge of Wakefield, (Once not part of Wakefield). They have the whole of Wakefield to move to, but seem to want to move as far from it as possible, closer to the other RL areas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users