Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should we be worried yet?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Tony you have overlooked the dual reg players which Glenngarry mentioned. Steve Mc seemed very upbeat and content on Monday evening.

But SM also said he want hes own full squad which at the moment is at least 7 short and they really dont have any proven props, which is my worry.I just feel swinton have been very quite on the recruitment front whereas most of the other clubs have been very active, i feel the 4 promoted clubs are going to be stronger than swinton

#22 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

But SM also said he want hes own full squad which at the moment is at least 7 short and they really dont have any proven props, which is my worry.I just feel swinton have been very quite on the recruitment front whereas most of the other clubs have been very active, i feel the 4 promoted clubs are going to be stronger than swinton

i think the addition of Moz and Westwood would be a decent addition to our pack.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#23 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Here is Barrows squad;Liam Campbell
Aaron Low
Mike Backhouse
Chris Larkin
Lee Haney
Max Wiper
Adam Clay
Scott Kaighan
James Nixon
Dean McGilvary
Sean Casey
Liam Finch

Forwards

Ruiari McGoff
James Dandy
Jamie Butler
Matthew Haggerty
Dan Toal
Andrew Dawson
Bradley Brennan
Kurt Haggerty
Danny Jones
Nathan Mossop
Brad Marwood
Liam Harrison
Mike Whitehead
Jack Spencer

Ive heard of a few of these but it mostly seems like a run of the mill squad. Bit bigger than ours at present granted but is it of a higher quality? I dont know.do you?

#24 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

is it of a higher quality?

Yes.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#25 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yes.

Really think so...I don't

#26 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

But at least barra have 25 players to choose their 17 from plus any dr players so i think they may be in a stronger position than swinton in my opinion

#27 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yes Tony thats a fairer way of putting it. Im not saying that we are stronger or Barrow are Im just making the point that although other teams appear busy not a lot is happening anywhere.
I remain optimistic. I truly believe our squad so far is quality and will only improve.
Phil Im loving the brevity. Much more preferable.

#28 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Really think so...I don't

So on the one hand you admit to not knowing much about Barrow's players, but on the other hand draw a conclusion their squad is weaker than Swinton's. A puzzling disconnect.

Perhaps we should have a twenty on which side finishes higher.

#29 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Why don't you admit it Hudson you just can't stomach Swinton, every chance you can you put the boot in. Its constant negativity from you. Every time I see Philh come up I know it's another dollop of bile. If you had been at the meeting on monday you would have heard SM say don't judge the squad at this moment in time but wait until the start of the season when you will find the squad to be exciting and highly competitive. You can be sure that Steve will have a squad ready, willing, and able for the start of the season . If he hasn't then and only then can you ostricise the club for not doing enough, until then just dry up or go and support Salford your made for one another

#30 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Why don't you admit it Hudson you just can't stomach Swinton, every chance you can you put the boot in. Its constant negativity from you. Every time I see Philh come up I know it's another dollop of bile. If you had been at the meeting on monday you would have heard SM say don't judge the squad at this moment in time but wait until the start of the season when you will find the squad to be exciting and highly competitive. You can be sure that Steve will have a squad ready, willing, and able for the start of the season . If he hasn't then and only then can you ostricise the club for not doing enough, until then just dry up or go and support Salford your made for one another

What in your view is negativity, in my view is realism. No need for the personal abuse.

In the current circumstances there's no massive disgrace having a weaker side than Barrow, who rarely draw under a thousand fans for a home game - in general they get roughly double the Lions gates. They have a strong side for Championship level and my feeling is they will finish in the top half. Liam Harrison in my view is one of the top 5 or 6 players in the whole league, would get in any Championship side.

Yes he plays for Barrow and not Swinton, doesn't mean I cannot recognise the guy is class!

#32 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Haha brilliant paul.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#33 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

You crack on and bet against your own team Phil. May the sadness of such an act fill you with joy
]

Edited by mark richardson, 12 December 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#34 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Best coach outside of SL your having a laugh are you not?

#35 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

I agree with everything Phil H as said on this post about our squad. Lets look at the facts back in September John said planning permission will be placed in next 3 weeks as it happened no. Our squad is way to small for this league, we have lost top players from last season and not replaced them.

I don't care What Steve Mc said on Monday our squad should be complete by pre season starting, it will disprute our squad bringing in players 4 weeks before the season starts. Also we have 4 players on trial and will get game time in the first game (what is this about), I want players who are signed up for the season and got a good pre season training under there belt and got to know there new team mates.

For the first time I think our great club is a shambles and we will be fighting the drop next season.

#36 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Best coach outside of SL your having a laugh are you not?

Oh yes you've swayed me. You're right

#37 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I agree with everything Phil H as said on this post about our squad. Lets look at the facts back in September John said planning permission will be placed in next 3 weeks as it happened no. Our squad is way to small for this league, we have lost top players from last season and not replaced them.

I don't care What Steve Mc said on Monday our squad should be complete by pre season starting, it will disprute our squad bringing in players 4 weeks before the season starts. Also we have 4 players on trial and will get game time in the first game (what is this about), I want players who are signed up for the season and got a good pre season training under there belt and got to know there new team mates.

For the first time I think our great club is a shambles and we will be fighting the drop next season.

couldnt agree more

#38 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Greengrass I think Steve Mack is planning to play the trialists in Wattos testimonial..not actually the first league game.As regards the make up of the squad I think we just have to trust the coaching staff and reserve judgement .How many times in recent seasons have we assembled a good squad on paper and been let down on the field.

#39 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Well....I waited to see what developed on Monday and after reading what has been said I don't personally think, as a squad, we are in the best on field position we have ever been in. I hoped for something more definite with regard to proven players.
As I said we are either unable to attract better players or don't have the money. Whatever. I will still be there supporting whoever wears the blue shirts!
That is my thoughts and opinion. Whether I agree with all or nobody on here, I read and try to understand their views. I do not come on here to slag off and lambast people if I don't happen to agree with them. I don't necessarily agree with Phillh's views or even know him but he is entitled to express them if he wishes, same as greengrass, mark, duffymoon, blue monkey, paulT et al (sorry to those I've missed out). There is no place for insults on here or on the terrace. There are too few of us on either right now.
We all support the same side for crist sake!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#40 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

I've stayed off here in the main recently.
It's such a poor forum
Rugby league attracts so many moaners it's depressing.
I can't see the point in contributing any more...it rarely results in anything constructive
This is a shame because there are some real good guys on here.
Like Facebook I think I'll take a holiday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users