RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Operation Yewtree

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

And the police always catch the right people, don't they. Except in all those cases where they don't. <_<

What worries me about all this is the manner in which an accusation or an arrest is now taken almost as instant proof of guilt by the court of public opinion before any trial has taken place. Innocent until proven guilty seems such an antiquated concept right now.

And in the case of previous offenders like Gary Glitter, he's already been proven guilty once so we don't need to bother again
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#22 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

It was Clifford's solicitor who put his name in the public domain according to last nights BBC News report.

So Max Clifford really does believe there's no such thing as bad publicity.

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Coronation Street star William Roache cleared.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

It puzzles me as to why people should come forward after 40 years and make such allegations if there was no truth in them, exposing themselves needlessly to the harrowing experience of cross examination in a court of law.  It also puzzles me why someone like Bill Roache, who presumably at the time had women throwing themselves at him would need to rape someone.  There's something very fishy about the whole thing.  

There were rumours about Savile which were ignored until after his death.  Were there similar rumours about Roache?  Did the police go on a fishing expedition in light of the Savile case? Given the flaws in the women's evidence (like the Rolls-Royce) why did the police proceed?

I know it's sounds far fetched, but could these offences have been committed by someone pretending to be Roache? Like the Peter Hain bank robbery?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#25 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

It puzzles me as to why people should come forward after 40 years and make such allegations if there was no truth in them, exposing themselves needlessly to the harrowing experience of cross examination in a court of law. It also puzzles me why someone like Bill Roache, who presumably at the time had women throwing themselves at him would need to rape someone. There's something very fishy about the whole thing.
There were rumours about Savile which were ignored until after his death. Were there similar rumours about Roache? Did the police go on a fishing expedition in light of the Savile case? Given the flaws in the women's evidence (like the Rolls-Royce) why did the police proceed?
I know it's sounds far fetched, but could these offences have been committed by someone pretending to be Roache? Like the Peter Hain bank robbery?

I think the Savile case was a bit more than rumoured. There are allegations of police collusion - certainly in Leeds. I've been wondering if the fishing trip that Yewtree is appearing to be is an attempt to dilute the Savile case and take the focus off any police involvement?

#26 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

It puzzles me as to why people should come forward after 40 years and make such allegations if there was no truth in them, exposing themselves needlessly to the harrowing experience of cross examination in a court of law. It also puzzles me why someone like Bill Roache, who presumably at the time had women throwing themselves at him would need to rape someone. There's something very fishy about the whole thing.
There were rumours about Savile which were ignored until after his death. Were there similar rumours about Roache?

So basically, no smoke without fire right?

#27 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

So basically, no smoke without fire right?

Was funny to see in the paper this week after he was acquitted. Michelle Keegan doing a story saying sure you would get the odd pat on the bum when you met him but I didn't mind because he was such a gentleman. Bet he was pleased that came out after the case rather than before.

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I've been wondering if the fishing trip that Yewtree is appearing to be is an attempt to dilute the Savile case and take the focus off any police involvement?

It's possible.  It certainly seems that the scale of collusion that appears to have been around Savile is being forgotten.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Was funny to see in the paper this week after he was acquitted. Michelle Keegan doing a story saying sure you would get the odd pat on the bum when you met him but I didn't mind because he was such a gentleman. Bet he was pleased that came out after the case rather than before.

A pat on the backside and rape are entirely different beasts, although neither is acceptable (unless, in the case of the former, it is wanted attention obviously).

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

A pat on the backside and rape are entirely different beasts, although neither is acceptable (unless, in the case of the former, it is wanted attention obviously).

I have heard feminists argue, in all seriousness, that they are essentially the same thing.

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Obviously, still don't think he'd of thanked her for it.

#32 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

What surprises me about all these investigations is the lack of arrests of anyone involved in the music industry. You would imagine that for every ten 14 year-old girls hanging around Coronation Street studios, there would have been 200 waiting by the stage doors and Arena entrances of famous singers and bands.

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I have heard feminists argue, in all seriousness, that they are essentially the same thing.

Yes, alas, so have I, which does all us females a great disservice because clearly they are nothing like each other and to suggest that they are is to seriously trivialise rape.

#34 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Obviously, still don't think he'd of thanked her for it.

No, he probably wouldn't. 

#35 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,617 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

the worrying thing is that the real cases may get swamped by the over exaggerated  cases and then it becomes  'oh no not another one'.

• l'angelo mysterioso likes this

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

the worrying thing is that the real cases may get swamped by the over exaggerated cases and then it becomes 'oh no not another one'.

This is a real problem (potentially at least). Because there definitely will be some people out to make a few quid by making a tenouos claim. Then the genuine cases get labelled with the others like you say.

#37 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

And now let the press turn on Parliament/House Of Lord's and see what happen's and has happened in the past.

#38 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

Rape isn't just about sex though is it. It's about control and dominance.

I do worry about some of the indecent assaults being judged by today's attitudes rather than those at the time.

As for the accusers taking all this time, assaults of this nature are deeply traumatic and it takes quite something to stand up in court and be accused of lying.

• l'angelo mysterioso likes this

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,155 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Rape isn't just about sex though is it. It's about control and dominance.

I have heard this theory many times. Yet I still don't necessarily understand it. Is it really true or is it just one of those things that everyone hears and assumes to be true for fear of looking a fool?

#40 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have heard this theory many times. Yet I still don't necessarily understand it. Is it really true or is it just one of those things that everyone hears and assumes to be true for fear of looking a fool?

The commission of rape is always a power dynamic as it is forcing someone to do something against their will. Motivation is fairly immaterial as the crime is only commited when the power of one is imposed on the other. However, not all imbalanced power dynamics are a crime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users