Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Vice Presidents Scheme

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well done to those three including Eric Wood for taking on the Vice Presidents Scheme. £15 k now towards the floodlights :)

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#2 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes well done to the 3 supporters, is there any news on the raffle that penno suggested i will take 20 to sell

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I take it 6 k has been raised via other means then as 3 vice presidents schemes adds up to 9k (they are 3k arnt they? )

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well done Lee! Good job you stuck in at school!!!

Posted Image

#5 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

I can't find any info about the numbers. £15,000 in a month is fantastic.
As I said in an earlier post. Could the club not come up with a Xmas club starting in January. £500 for a 5 years season ticket, no frills. Got to be paid for by the end of September say. Be a good xmas present for 2014. Could bring some much needed money in by the end of the season.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#6 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

Thing is livo you have to balance how many prepaid season tickets you sell as it can take a lot of income away from the club. That is why season tickets are sold on an annual basis.

Example barrow have a bad time on the field and the crowd drops to 400 (not unknown) and the club have sold 500 five year tickets. Look at who is going to be at the game and look at who is going to buy the tickets..it could end up costing the club dearly...

The Vice President tickets are the way forward as its high value and ticket sales could reach double figures. Again this has a risk in that potential sponsors will take the offer and get 10 years of benefits for the cost of 1 seasons shirt sponsor. I know I would have taken that route if it had been available. I hope the board have looked at this scenario and calculated any potential loss against the potential gain.

It's called risk management and is an actual calculation that given certain % of risk and financial implication from one scenario based against the proposal and any % of risk and financial implication.

Edited by soss, 06 December 2012 - 09:50 PM.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#7 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I understand where your coming from Mike. But does the club bite the biscuit and go all out this season to raise the funds or fall at the final hurdle. And I'm sure the board have looked at the options.

#8 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I hope your right, however I don't think we have any option other than to raise the money through fundraising this season. That is what Neil and I have been pushing for as when you look at the options it is the only one we have. Loans from the bank or the RFL are, in my opinion, not going to be available. You can not risk the club by selling hundreds of cheap five year tickets for my reasons above, we need to raise this money ourselves and unless we see progress and information from the board people will lose interest. By that I do not mean the odd thing in the paper or on the website, it must be high vis and in your face each week.
I have always been a supporter of the Vice President scheme and would love to see it work but realistically if we sell 10 of these tickets we have done well, however the only reservations I have is the loss of sponsors. So there maybe 2 or 3 people who would have given the 3k for a shirt sponsor but are now Vice President ticket holder. This would be a potential loss from commercial of 6-9k and then falsely shown as being raised for the lighting fund..
I would hope that this would only effect 1 season but unless you have assessed all the risks you will never know.

Edited by soss, 06 December 2012 - 10:09 PM.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#9 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm not having a go Mike. But as a businessman, how would you go forward. At the moment its were damned if we do and damned if we don't.

#10 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Well done Lee! Good job you stuck in at school!!!

I didnt get where I am today by not being able to do a sum or 2 :rolleyes:

Lee Morton

#11 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

You have to approach it as you would any new venture.

First thing would be to produce a full business plan for the purchase and installation of the lights, including guaranteed funding, potential grants and fundraising. You need to produce a project plan and timelines for delivery, installation and stage payments. This would give you an exact progression of what is to be raised and how the project is going to be completed.
You need fundraising targets set and advertised with weekly updates everywhere.
Start by populating a committee to identify how the money can be raised. This would include people from outside the board and Look outside the box as it doesn't all have to be all about rugby.
Look at any available grants and any other avenue of funding.
Look to local fundraisers for assistance with the ideas and execution of events, perhaps on a share basis.
Assess your market looking at any competitors such as the football and other charities.
Produce a business plan based around the committee ideas to be risk assessed.
Look at the duration, organisation, initials cost and return from each event. These can then be prioritised by duration, cost and return.
Plan each event with a strict budget and the full knowledge of all associated cost.
Produce a communications line between the public and the fundraising to keep it in the limelight.

Most important thing for me is the business plan..any one can say we need 100k but let's see it in black and white what money we need and when, as any project has staged payments while the work is being completed.
This way some of the works can be carried out sooner rather than later and it is always easier working towards a 20k milestone payment than a 100k installation cost as people see an achievable target instead of a mountain to climb.
This is just a quick reply without really thinking about it, however give me time and I could complete a full project plan and timeline with risk management.
Not too good on committees though...lmao

Edited by soss, 07 December 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#12 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Good post Mike for an ideal world :lol:

The reality is that work on the floodlights will not be able to be done during the playing season as new feed cables need to be taken across and around the pitch and large concrete bases will be required to be excavated and cast into each corner of the stands. This work will require a minimum of 2 months IMO so with that in mind the earliest you can start is straight after the last game.

Promotion/relegation will most likely be decided soon after the end of the playing season and for Barrow its simple "no flodlighhts then back to Championship 1". As I have previously said we cannot turn the clocks back on what funds should have been raised but my point in all this is that you cannot aford to miss vital oportunities between now and the end of the season. I am sure the fans and supporters are well behind the BoD (who's hands the club is in) and clarity and regular updates will keep the faith.

Edited by D11, 07 December 2012 - 07:22 AM.

#13 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Neil that is where you project plan and costing comes in. You look at other options as to disrupting the playing season. All the lighting pillars can be installed, lights fitted, new starters installed and the supplies updated the only remaining works could be the laying of cable after the last game of the season. If the RFL see progress and completion dates this would help us retain our league status if we leave it until the end of the season then all the RFL will see is barrow making no progress and using one element of the installation as an excuse to why we have not started. I know you are an expert in ground works and completed large projects successfully, however without being big headed I have project managed many installations much bigger than this with logistical problems such as work area access.
This may even buy the club an extra few months for fundraising but we need to show that we are serious about installing the new lights.
We had many difference of opinion on the interim board and that helped us reach decisions that were the best way forward for the club so I beg to differ with you again as there is plenty of work that can be completed before the end of the season...

#14 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Mike the large bases need to be excavated from the corners of the pitch by a large machine. We have prior knowledge of the ground conditions from when we demolished the Duke street end stand and the ground can cut up easy and there will be no quick fix during the playing season.

Mike this is why you change light bulbs and fuses in Aberdeen

unless you were thinking of a project with the RAF like maybe a Shanook Helicopter :lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Is there no chance of an interim solution just to replace the existing head light units with a more powerful type ?

I know the existing cabling and pylons are well and truely knackered but just to get us with the minimum to keep us up (if the playing side keep us up this year :rolleyes: ).

Lee Morton

#16 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Mike this is why you change light bulbs and fuses in Aberdeen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wish this forum had a "like" button !!!!!

Posted Image

#17 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Neil, where as I am open to debate and to opinion I do a little more than change light bulbs in Aberdeen! ..lol there are always solutions to problems if they are investigated that is why you have project managers in place. The solutions may not be cost effective or practicable but this is why you complete risk analysis.
Example is are all the lights going to be on stands or are some going to be mounted as they are now? Can we move any lighting stand so as not to be affecting the playing area? How much of the electrical works can be complete without disruption etc..
As you are aware these are all issues that need to be discussed ( and may have been) but until you have an installation plan in place and gather all information from every element of the project and the people involved we are at a standstill and just shouting on about raising 100k instead of identifying what can be achieved and at what cost.
Progress is the key for the RFL and if we do not show this then lock the gates on the way out.

#18 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

We have been advised by proffesionals that the current lighting cables are at full capacity and work on the switch board would also be required to prevent overloading. The current lighting posts were made many years ago and are in a poor state. There doesnt apear to be a short term fix other than bringing in temporary lighting which I dont think the RFL would accept in any case.

Mike your thoughts of positions of lights and fasabiliy have already been covered but nice to see you thinking hard before your long venture to Thialand

#19 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I just want to see progress and a plan to move forward, I do not want to come back from my well earned holiday and find that nothing has happened. I know certain areas can be progressed on the work front so come on let's get a plan of action going...

#20 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I see that the soccer are on Premier Sports tonight. The lights at Holker Street must be up to standard.
Is playing a game there a cheaper option than hiring in temporary lights?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users