Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

HISTORIC SHIRT TO HIT SHELVES ON SATURDAY!

Rams media release

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

The 2013 Dewsbury Rams home shirt will go on sale to supporters for the first time this Saturday.

To celebrate, the club will be hosting an open day at the Tetley’s Stadium shop between 11.00am and 2.00pm.

Head coach Glenn Morrison and club mascot Roger Ram will be in attendance between Midday and 1.00pm to greet fans, sign shirts and pose for photographs.

http://us5.campaign-...72&e=b139ae851a

Edited by Honor James, 06 December 2012 - 03:06 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Posted Image

A Fev Blog

#3 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Is that Stevo with his Brains behind the trophy?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Is that Stevo with his Brains behind the trophy?

Oh aye. Richard Agar's dad is on there as well.

A Fev Blog

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Oh aye. Richard Agar's dad is on there as well.

good side that. is tommy smales on there too, 3rd from right back row
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Nigel Stephenson next to Stevo. Jeff Grayshon in the back row next to, I think, Harry Beverley.

Crown Flatt was a great ground to go and watch a game.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

crown flatt, i remember going there to watch a cup tie between dewsbury celtic and fev
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Nigel Stephenson next to Stevo. Jeff Grayshon in the back row next to, I think, Harry Beverley.

Crown Flatt was a great ground to go and watch a game.

Why did all the old grounds look better and more atmospheric than the new ones?IMO
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Why did all the old grounds look better and more atmospheric than the new ones?IMO

The one time I went to Crown Flatt it was after the main stand had burnt down, and there wasn't a stick of cover in the place, and a nasty cold wind blowing. My mate had forgot his gloves, stuck his hands in his pockets and said he was only clapping for tries. Pity we ran in about ten.

#10 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

The one time I went to Crown Flatt it was after the main stand had burnt down, and there wasn't a stick of cover in thie place, and a nasty cold wind blowing. My mate had forgot his gloves, stuck his hands in his pockets and said he was only clapping for tries. Pity we ran in about ten.

Happy days at the old place.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

That league Championship league win ( and dosn't that league championship trophy put the SL trash can to shame) has to be the greatest upset in the history of British Rugby League. Challenge cup wins are great but this was a much more sustained win. I think they were 8th in the final table, which, by itself was a great achievment, and then they won the playoffs and beat Leeds no less in the final at Odsal I was there and it was a great day. Contrast that with Leeds recent win from 5th, this was comparable with Wakefield winning this last season from 8th.

Such victories are great sustenance to us dreamers and supporters of no hope CC clubs.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,077 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

That league Championship league win ( and dosn't that league championship trophy put the SL trash can to shame) has to be the greatest upset in the history of British Rugby League. Challenge cup wins are great but this was a much more sustained win. I think they were 8th in the final table, which, by itself was a great achievment, and then they won the playoffs and beat Leeds no less in the final at Odsal I was there and it was a great day. Contrast that with Leeds recent win from 5th, this was comparable with Wakefield winning this last season from 8th.

Such victories are great sustenance to us dreamers and supporters of no hope CC clubs.

yet imagine the furore of a team winning the championship frim 8th nowadays.

#13 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yes I remember it too Stevo was great
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yes I remember it too Stevo was great

As I remember both Stephenson's were on top form that day. Great memories.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

yet imagine the furore of a team winning the championship frim 8th nowadays.

It was controversial then, and of course led directly to the finish-top=champions system which was introduced the following year.

A Fev Blog

#16 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

It was controversial then, and of course led directly to the finish-top=champions system which was introduced the following year.

I think it's fair to say the top-8 system never had the cachet, or the crowd drawing power, of the old top-4 system. It took a long time for the Premiership/GrandFinal to recover the lost ground and give us two showpiece games a year again.

On a related note, does anybody have a definitive answer as to why the two division format used from 1962 to 1964 was abandoned so quickly, or indeed why it was introduced in the first place?

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

I think it's fair to say the top-8 system never had the cachet, or the crowd drawing power, of the old top-4 system. It took a long time for the Premiership/GrandFinal to recover the lost ground and give us two showpiece games a year again.

On a related note, does anybody have a definitive answer as to why the two division format used from 1962 to 1964 was abandoned so quickly, or indeed why it was introduced in the first place?

I remember those two seasons very well. Keighley came second to Hunslet that year and won promotion. The only home loss was to Rochdale for whom Joe Levula scored the winning try. This was the first inkling of the potential of the Pacific islanders as RL stars.

Swinton were the 1st Division winners in both seasons. One of the years they had the worst winter for as century or something similar and hundreds of fixtures were postponed giving a huge backlog.

From memory, I think the Division 2 clubs lost the big attendances they used to get under the old system with visits from all the big boys in their county every season and the winner takes all nature of the 1st division meant the loss of the very lucrative top championship final and semi finals playoffs.

I don't remember exactly why they discontinued it but those facts were part of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users