Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

LPL media release

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

The shortlist for the 2012 Rugby League World Golden Boot will be announced on Monday 10th December.

http://eepurl.com

Who do you think should be on it and why?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

And this is what the winner will be getting...

Posted Image

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

As much as I think he is the most boring person in the game and the fact it would make the idiots on south stander.com even worse, Kevin Sinfield should win it.

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

And this is what the winner will be getting...

Posted Image

Gven it's name, I find this a highly appropriate trophy for this award.

A Fev Blog

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

kev sinfield has won it

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

ryan hall for me, at last we have british threequarter who is right up there with the best, easily the top winger in either code of rugby...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Shortlist would be Cam Smith, Billy Slater, Paul Gallen, and Ryan Hall as token UK rep. Smith to win the boot again.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I wish people would stop assuming that just because a players plays in the NRL that they deserve it more than a SL player. You can't argue with what Sinfield has done and the out and out class of Sam Tomkins.

#9 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

http://eepurl.com/sK2g9

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

for his achievements....................kevin sinfield
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#11 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,591 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

FOUR AUSSIES, TWO BRITS MAKE THE 2012 GOLDEN BOOT SHORTLIST

#rlwgoldenboot

The Rugby League World Golden Boot, which is awarded every year to the best Rugby League player in the world, will be awarded this year to one of six candidates, whose names appear below in alphabetical order.

The name of the winner of the Golden Boot will be announced on 4 January in Rugby League World magazine and by press release on that day.

This year's contenders are:

Ben Barba, 23, is the only candidate for the Golden Boot who has not played for his country in 2012. But the Canterbury Bulldogs fullback has still had a memorable year. At the 2012 Dally M Awards he was awarded the Dally M Medal as the NRL's Player of the Year. He was voted the Dally M Fullback of the Year. He won the Peter Frilingos Memorial Award for providing the Headline Moment of the Year in Mackay, Queensland, for the Bulldogs against Melbourne Storm, when he collected the ball behind his own line and created a magnificent try over the length of the field for his team-mate Josh Morris. He won the Provan-Summons Medal as the People's Choice as Player of the Year. He won the Rugby League Players Association Player of the Year award. He was voted the Player of the Year by the Australian weekly publication Rugby League Week. He scored 22 tries in 27 games for the Bulldogs in 2012.

Cooper Cronk, 29, played for Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia in 2012. For the Storm, he won the Clive Churchill Medal as the man of the match in the NRL Grand Final, as the Storm defeated the Bulldogs 14-4. He played for Queensland in all three State of Origin games, scoring the winning field-goal in Queensland's thrilling 21-20 victory in the third game of 2012 that saw them win the State of Origin series for the seventh successive season, and he played for Australia in their two Tests against New Zealand. At the 2012 Dally M Awards Cronk was named the NRL's Halfback of the year, and he came third in the overall Dally M rankings.

Nate Myles, 27, was selected to play in all three matches of the 2012 State of Origin series for Queensland, and he was awarded the Wally Lewis Medal as the Player of the Series, which was won by Queensland for the seventh consecutive year. He also played for Australia in the Trans-Tasman Test in Townsville in October. At the 2012 Dally M Awards Myles was named the NRL's Second-row Forward of the Year. At the same event he was voted the NRL Representative Player of the Year.

Kevin Sinfield, 32, captained Leeds Rhinos to victory in the World Club Challenge against Manly Sea Eagles, and to victory in the Super League Grand Final against Warrington at Old Trafford. He also led Leeds to the Challenge Cup Final. He then went on to captain England to victory against France and Wales in the Autumn International Series. Sinfield won the Harry Sunderland Trophy as the Player of the Match in the Grand Final, gaining 27 of the 33 votes that were cast.

Cameron Smith, 29, is widely regarded as the best captain in Australia. In 2012 he captained Melbourne Storm to win the Grand Final, Queensland to win the State of Origin series, and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in their Trans-Tasman Test series. At the 2012 Dally M Awards Smith was named the NRL's Hooker of the Year. Cameron Smith is the only player in this year's shortlist who is a previous winner of the Golden Boot, having won it in 2007.

Sam Tomkins, 23, was the winner of the 2012 Man of Steel award, which is voted upon by his fellow players, as Super League's Player of the Season. He was voted the Super League Player of the Year by the Rugby League Writers Association. Tomkins is, like Ben Barba, a prolific tryscoring fullback, having scored 36 tries in 30 matches for Wigan in 2012. Tomkins also scored four tries in two games in the Autumn International Series.

Golden Boot - Roll of Honour
1984 Wally Lewis (Australia)
1985 Brett Kenny (Australia)
1986 Garry Jack (Australia)
1987 Hugh McGahan MBE (New Zealand) Shared
1987 Peter Sterling (Australia) Shared
1988 Ellery Hanley (Great Britain)
1989 Mal Meninga (Australia)
1990 Garry Schofield (Great Britain)
1991-1998 No award presented *
1999 Andrew Johns (Australia)
2000 Brad Fittler (Australia)
2001 Andrew Johns (Australia)
2002 Stacey Jones (New Zealand)
2003 Darren Lockyer (Australia)
2004 Andrew Farrell (Great Britain)
2005 Anthony Minichiello (Australia)
2006 Darren Lockyer (Australia)
2007 Cameron Smith (Australia)
2008 Billy Slater (Australia)
2009 Greg Inglis (Australia)
2010 Benji Marshall (New Zealand)
2011 Johnathan Thurston (Australia)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

for his achievements....................kevin sinfield

bingo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I wish people would stop assuming that just because a players plays in the NRL that they deserve it more than a SL player. You can't argue with what Sinfield has done and the out and out class of Sam Tomkins.

Posted Image

#14 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Sam Tomkins, 23, was the winner of the 2012 Man of Steel award, which is voted upon by his fellow players, as Super League's Player of the Season. He was voted the Super League Player of the Year by the Rugby League Writers Association. Tomkins is, like Ben Barba, a prolific tryscoring fullback, having scored 36 tries in 30 matches for Wigan in 2012. Tomkins also scored four tries in two games in the Autumn International Series.

I appreciate that this was written in an order, but I don't think it's fair to reference Tomkins in relation to one of the Aussies.

It demeans him a little bit and I notice it wasn't done the other way around.
People called Romans they go the house

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Its an award that means little if anything nowadays.
It would mean more if the players picked the winner.
Why is JT, James Graham or Paul Gallen not on the list?
JT along with Cam Smith are regarded by many good Judges the best players in the World in crucial game breaking positions, it should be a no brainer from that list Smith.
Its as credible as the WCC.

#16 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,823 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Its an award that means little if anything nowadays.
It would mean more if the players picked the winner.
Why is JT, James Graham or Paul Gallen not on the list?
JT along with Cam Smith are regarded by many good Judges the best players in the World in crucial game breaking positions, it should be a no brainer from that list Smith.
Its as credible as the WCC.

That really is a nonsensical comment.

In relation to what the Golden Boot means to players, just ask those who have won it, from Wally Lewis onwards.

When I told Kevin Sinfield he was on the shortlist he was quite emotional about it, which, given Kevin's complete self control, is itself a sign of the Golden Boot's status among players.

The rationale for each player being on the shorlist is set out above. Of course there are other players who came near to being selected. It would be very surprising if there weren't. But no one could argue that the six players on the shorlist don't each have some outstanding achievements to their names in 2012.

#17 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Ben Barba for me.
Posted Image

#18 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Read in the League Express today that Sinfield played the whole season with a broken wrist! Wow!

Im completely biased but I think he deserves this.

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,689 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I like what the organisers do with this, trying to give the International performances a weighting, but let us look at the Sinfield thing with a level head.

He captained his team to 5th place
He didn't make the SL Dream Team (Finch and O'Loughlin taking 6 and 13)
He didn't make the World XIII

He is a genuine Leeds legend, he is a great captain, he led Leeds brilliantly at Old Trafford, but I do think the hero-worship around him is at a level that surprises me.

No doubt I'll get bagged for being critical of Sir Kev :P but I'd actually pick any of the other players over him, and tbh as somebody else mentioned, I'd have had Ryan Hall in his place.

But, these things are subjective, it's just my view, if he did win it then congratulations go to him, he seems a nice bloke, a model professional and I'd have him in the Wire team any day of the week.

EDIT: Just read that Ryan Hall was Leeds Rhinos' player of the year.

Edited by Dave T, 10 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#20 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

I like what the organisers do with this, trying to give the International performances a weighting, but let us look at the Sinfield thing with a level head.

He captained his team to 5th place
He didn't make the SL Dream Team (Finch and O'Loughlin taking 6 and 13)
He didn't make the World XIII

He is a genuine Leeds legend, he is a great captain, he led Leeds brilliantly at Old Trafford, but I do think the hero-worship around him is at a level that surprises me.

No doubt I'll get bagged for being critical of Sir Kev :P but I'd actually pick any of the other players over him, and tbh as somebody else mentioned, I'd have had Ryan Hall in his place.

But, these things are subjective, it's just my view, if he did win it then congratulations go to him, he seems a nice bloke, a model professional and I'd have him in the Wire team any day of the week.

EDIT: Just read that Ryan Hall was Leeds Rhinos' player of the year.

Could not agree more

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users