Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

LPL media release

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

The only thing id say about Ryan Hall being the Rhinos player of the year is that he beat Sinfield by 1 vote, and this was all before the playoffs started.

Im sure if the voting took place after Sinfield had captained Leeds to a sixth Grand Final win, winning three consecutive man of the match's, including the Harry Sunderland award, and not missing one kick at goal during the playoffs, that the voting may have taken a different path. All this, including the World Club Challenge win, came with Sinfield playing the whole season with a fractured/broken wrist sustained in pre-season.

What I would say is that Sinfield is not the best player in his position, he admits that himself, but as discussed quite probably millions of times before, he brings more to the team than that. The leadership he brings to the team and the focus and calmness under pressure make him a great captain and a Leeds legend.

For me, its between Sinfield and Cameron Smith for the boot. Smith has captained Queensland, Melbourne and Australia this year, winning everything he could other than the minor premiership.The others had great saesons but these two stand out for me.

#42 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

It seems to be a cumulative recognition for Sinfield, who has been very good (as opposed to excellent, imo) for a number of years. I don't think he's done any more this year than the last seven or eight.

I tend to agree with this - similar to Ryan Giggs winning loads of individual awards in football about 2 or 3 years ago despite not doing anything better than he usually did. I think it's also a recognition of "jeez, this guy should have had about 5 of these nominations over the years"

Wouldn't have Sinfield in the Golden Boot nominations myself, but it isn't as if it's a completely awful shout either. It's good to have more British talent on there.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 11 December 2012 - 09:51 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#43 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

i can't believe ryan hall wasn't shortlisted, that said i hope sinfield wins it for his achievements over the years as captain of the whino's
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

For me, its between Sinfield and Cameron Smith for the boot. Smith has captained Queensland, Melbourne and Australia this year, winning everything he could other than the minor premiership.The others had great saesons but these two stand out for me.

In both cases, their leadership is as much of a factor as their individual skills.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

"The Rugby League World Golden Boot, which is awarded every year to the best Rugby League player in the world" ?????

Once this award was given to the best players based on Test matches that year where players from each hemisphere played each other in a series, the best from each country and pretty well the man of the series got the Golden Boot.
What is the criteria now? and what are the names of the judges deciding the candidates and the winner?

Anyway...
Give it to Sir Kev, he is apparently a good bloke, speaks well and can kick goals.

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#46 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

"The Rugby League World Golden Boot, which is awarded every year to the best Rugby League player in the world" ?????

Anyway...
Give it to Sir Kev, he is apparently a good bloke, speaks well and can kick goals.

Sport is fickle, last week he was given his own appreciation day, this week people want to give him the Boot!
I think he would be a worthy winner because of his leadership qualities and his professionalism. He is a fantastic role model and ambassador for the game and made the difference in helping Leeds win the Grand Final. He is also unbeaten in international competition this year, which does include a victory against an Australian team.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#47 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

never really been a fan of sinfield as a player but as a captain he is unrivalled, his leadership qualities are excellent and he really gets the best out of his team........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#48 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

never really been a fan of sinfield as a player but as a captain he is unrivalled, his leadership qualities are excellent and he really gets the best out of his team........

Is he the best player in the World?
Unrivalled in the SL?
Is he a better Captain than
Jamie Lyon?
Cam Smith?
Luke Lewis?
Jonathon Thurston?
Nathan Hindmarsh?
Robbie Farrah?
Sam Thaiday?
Terry Campese?
Mick Ennis?
Paul Gallen?

Maybe he is.
I would take many of the above over him for their ability on the field as a Captain and player and the way they can lead by example and win a game from their own skill and will to win against the best in the game.

#49 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Sinfield may not be the best player in the world but his leadership qualities and ability to inspire and lead a team are second to none.Given that the Aussies refused to play England this year,who knows what might have happened and your earlier argument that the player of the tournament usually wins the Golden Boot,it may well have gone to Sinfield anyway.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#50 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Sinfield may not be the best player in the world but his leadership qualities and ability to inspire and lead a team are second to none.Given that the Aussies refused to play England this year,who knows what might have happened and your earlier argument that the player of the tournament usually wins the Golden Boot,it may well have gone to Sinfield anyway.

It is second to Cam Smith for one and he is a far better player with a far better skill set, never mind Thurston who did not even get a mention.
He has played one half decent game against Australia in his whole career in several positions. I think it was as Hooker.
He is nearly past his use by date so I doubt he will have much to offer going forward.
The award is supposed to be for "the best player in the World".
He is not the best player or the best Captain or the best anything in the World so why is he a candidate?
I will tell you why because the people that decide these awards have to include players other than Aussies and Sinfield gets nominated on that basis, it sells magazines in the UK.
The fact that the Kiwis got nothing as the second placed team in the World tells it all.
Its a media vehicle just like the WCC to sell the game in the UK and boost flagging egos in the old dart.

Edited by AndyCapp, 11 December 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#51 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Alternatively, based on previous performances, centering an international team around Sinfield would have ensured another depressing defeat in the final.

#52 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Alternatively, based on previous performances, centering an international team around Sinfield would have ensured another depressing defeat in the final.

When has the team been centred around Sinfield before?
Was the team centred around Sinfield this season or is that due to his leadership qualities?
Whoever wins the Golden Boot ,no doubt someone will moan,good luck to whoever wins it,for once I hope it's an English player.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 11 December 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,104 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

The only thing id say about Ryan Hall being the Rhinos player of the year is that he beat Sinfield by 1 vote, and this was all before the playoffs started.

To be fair, that was the supporters player of the year.

I'm with Amber Avenger and Mr Posh - there does appear to be a sense of sentimentality to his nomination - whereas my understanding of it was the same as Andy Capp, this award is meant to be for the best player in the world this year. IMHO there is no room for sentimentality in this award.
Special awards, or lifetime achievement, absolutely 100% he would be worthy - title of Best Player in the World for 2012 - nah.

#54 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'm with Amber Avenger and Mr Posh - there does appear to be a sense of sentimentality to his nomination - whereas my understanding of it was the same as Andy Capp, this award is meant to be for the best player in the world this year. IMHO there is no room for sentimentality in this award.
Special awards, or lifetime achievement, absolutely 100% he would be worthy - title of Best Player in the World for 2012 - nah.

You can't really judge the best player of the year when they don't play against each other.Other criteria have to be used,don't they?

#55 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Why are you making your own argument up, comment on what I said if you are going to quote me, because I suggested nothing of the sort.

Well,just just you ,but every time this sort of thing comes up its either Sinfield or any other leeds player that gets slagged before any other mentioned player.Envy is best when its served up any colour except blue and AMBER

Sinfield is a good captain and a great kicker he is not the best stand off in the country or the best loose forward you cannot argue with his achievements and he deserves to be on the short list for that alone I do not think he will win it

I dont think he will win it either,and I agree with a lot of what you say.Playing for his club he is involved in most of the plays.I think its fair to say he is without a doubt the best team captain around
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#56 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I doubt there is anyone that would take it at the moment, but I would actually put a big sum of money on Sinfield being nominated for 2013's Man of Steel regardless of how well he plays next year for similar reasons.

(I'm not knocking him, btw, as I said it happens a lot in sport when someone is nearer the end of the career than the start)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#57 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I doubt there is anyone that would take it at the moment, but I would actually put a big sum of money on Sinfield being nominated for 2013's Man of Steel regardless of how well he plays next year for similar reasons.

(I'm not knocking him, btw, as I said it happens a lot in sport when someone is nearer the end of the career than the start)

MOS! I find it hard to understand since 2004 not one Leeds player has come near to getting a mention
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#58 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes, I have found that strange. In the past two seasons, sort of understandable considering it's decided before the playoffs (if that is the right method of choosing MOS is another thread entirely and Leeds' recent achievements only back this up), but the 3 in a row side deserved more certainly
SQL Honours

#59 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

MOS! I find it hard to understand since 2004 not one Leeds player has come near to getting a mention

Because Leeds are a team, a sum of the parts, a solid unit, not a group of individuals wearing the same shirt.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 11 December 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#60 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Because Leeds are a team, a sum of the parts, a solid unit, not a group of individuals wearing the same shirt.

but there is more to it than that
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users