Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

LPL media release

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

but there is more to it than that

Maybe
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

You can't really judge the best player of the year when they don't play against each other.Other criteria have to be used,don't they?

Yep - but as I highlighted earlier, he wasn't even in the SL Dream Team (or Leeds player of the year) and this was with his peers.

#63 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

When has the team been centred around Sinfield before?
Was the team centred around Sinfield this season or is that due to his leadership qualities?
Whoever wins the Golden Boot ,no doubt someone will moan,good luck to whoever wins it,for once I hope it's an English player.

You put Sinfield in a team and your game revolves around him. I went to the exiles game in 2011 when Sinfield was a late call up and he took over the team which resulted in yet another poor performance.
Great club player, but too slow when not protected by a dominant pack at the higher level.

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Well,just just you ,but every time this sort of thing comes up its either Sinfield or any other leeds player that gets slagged before any other mentioned player.Envy is best when its served up any colour except blue and AMBER

I'm not sure of that, and tbh you sound here slightly like Saints did a few years ago when they had Millward in charge with the victim mentality.

I have absolutely nothing against Leeds or their players, and have cheered for them in every GF (apart from this year's naturally!) - I do not begrudge them or any of their players the success that they have.

My opinions on individual players are purely my own opinions, and not based on who they play for. In fact, I think there is almost universal agreement that Hall is one of the finest players around at the moment, and he plays for Leeds.

#65 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

You put Sinfield in a team and your game revolves around him. I went to the exiles game in 2011 when Sinfield was a late call up and he took over the team which resulted in yet another poor performance.
Great club player, but too slow when not protected by a dominant pack at the higher level.

So every time Sinfield does not play for our National team we get a great performance?ah I'm with you now
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#66 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Is he a better Captain than
Jamie Lyon?
Cam Smith?
Luke Lewis?
Jonathon Thurston?
Nathan Hindmarsh?
Robbie Farrah?
Sam Thaiday?
Terry Campese?
Mick Ennis?
Paul Gallen?

Well he's achieved a lot more as captain than most if not all on the list so I'd say yes.

Seriously what have they achieved as captains that Sinfield hasn't? apart from being Australian.

It's between him and Cameron Smith IMO.

#67 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

So every time Sinfield does not play for our National team we get a great performance?ah I'm with you now

2 + 2 =5? Unfortunately what little chance we have of winning a World Cup final next year recedes with Sinfield's inclusion.

#68 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

but there is more to it than that

I don't think so

Leeds don't have many outstanding players, but we have a lot of very good players that work incredibly well as a team
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#69 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Its between 2 players- and neither are Brits! Sinfield is a very good SL player- but thats it. He would be a Joe Average in the NRL. In 2012, he was not seen like much of the Leeds team for most of the year. Whether he was injured or not, he still was not good up til maybe August time. Plus his record this year is not that great compared to others. Ben Barba had a great season but did nothing when it mattered- The Grand Final. Sam Tomkins again not consistant through the season and hasnt had that great a year.
The Golden Boot is about who is the best player of the year not Captain. So forget Sinfield! The real 2 contenders are obviously Cameron Smith who has been as usual an outsanding player ALL season. His record both as a player and Captain for Melbourne, Queensland and Australia this year has been near perfect. Another Australian win over a strong International team in NZ, compared to Englands opponents who sadly are have no better than Championship Standard. Smith led Queensland to a series win over NSW despite the loss of Lockyer and a few positional changes. And Smith has been one of the key reasons why Melbourne finished 2nd in the league and won the Grand Final. Melbourne Storm have had to rebuild and take chances on no names- unlike Leeds for example with a settled team. The Consistancy Smith has shown throughout the season in various comps should see him as a real candidate.
The other player is Cooper Cronk who probably has had his best year at the Storm and has been quality in most games for the Storm. His kicking is even better than Sinfields and way more consistant. The way he combines with Slater and Smith is legendary. This year he started from the off for Queensland and probably won them the series with the coolness of slotting over that field goal with just 5 minutes left. He won the man of the match in the NRL Grand Final. He also starred at International level against the Kiwis.
Sinfield like others have had fine seasons but has lacked consistancy through the whole year. And as a player he doesnt meet the standards of Smith or Cronk. And as a Captain his record doesnt match Smiths. Now as the Golden boot is about a player and how he has performed throughout the WHOLE year its down to Cronk and Smith

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 11 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#70 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

So again,is that the fault of Sinfield or the players around him,all too often he is made a scapegoat for other players failure in a game.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#71 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Right Sinfield he isn't the best player in the world that's a given. His leadership qualities are one of the best in the game that's also a given. Some of the criticism of him has been harsh whilst some comments have been hyping him up. There has been many people who haven't stepped up against the Aussies, you don't hear anyone on hear question when OLoughlin is put in the side or when Yeaman was put in last year. One thing Sinfield has never had with him is a world class half back, he now has one along side him in Mr Widdop. If Sinfield captains, kicks and directs well that's all we need as Widdop has a great all round game too accompany. To say we 'will lose the world cup' if sinfield plays is such a bad statement, Aus will identify Widdop as the threat leaving Sinfield with not as much pressure.

Edit; whenever Sinfield has had a poor game 8 or so players have been poor around him. Very hard for a half back too perform if your surrounding players don't perform, but Sinfield always seemed to get slated the most.
Cam Smith should win the award btw.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 11 December 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#72 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Widdop is not world class and he still has to prove himself on the International stage IF the English coach gives him more than 5 minutes. Widdop has still much to learn even though he is doing a great job at Melbourne. Widdop may need somebody to take the pressure off him rather than he take the pressure of somebody like Sinfield. Widdop is still young and quite inexperienced still. People should not put pressure on him and see him as the answer to Englands problems. Just allow Widdop to be himself and if he does well for the English great. But it can be he needs time and will not be the instant succes English fans seem to be expecting

#73 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I wasn't convinced by Widdop in the first part of the season but by the end of it he had the touches of a world class half back. Was quality in the grand final, he'll have another season under his belt also come next year. Maybe world class is abit too much of hype, but he's probably in the top ten 6 and 7s in the world easily.

#74 storm4ever

storm4ever
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I wasn't convinced by Widdop in the first part of the season but by the end of it he had the touches of a world class half back. Was quality in the grand final, he'll have another season under his belt also come next year. Maybe world class is abit too much of hype, but he's probably in the top ten 6 and 7s in the world easily.

the Widdop ankle tap on a sprinting reynolds in the Grand final was a try saver.Awesome effort by Widdop.
Cam Smith is the standout choice for Golden Boot.
AWESOME CAPTAIN for STORM,QLD and AUSTRALIA.. Born Leader
2nd choice...COOPER CRONK..matchwinner.

#75 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,857 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Its between 2 players- and neither are Brits! Sinfield is a very good SL player- but thats it. He would be a Joe Average in the NRL.

Interesting you think that. I was talking to Darren Lockyer recently and he thought precisely the opposite. He seems to think that Sinfield is a sensational leader and a great player who would have been a top player in the NRL without the slightest doubt.

He has watched Sinfield a lot, and of course has played against him. He was amazed that anyone would think differently.

The fact is there are six tremendous players on the Golden Boot shortlist and whoever wins it will deserve it.

#76 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

If I were a betting type, I'd say Cameron Smith.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#77 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well he's achieved a lot more as captain than most if not all on the list so I'd say yes.

Seriously what have they achieved as captains that Sinfield hasn't? apart from being Australian.

It's between him and Cameron Smith IMO.

Trophies do not make a player, many great players played for Clubs that were unlikely to win anything.

Cam Smith is the best and obvious choice.

Edited by AndyCapp, 17 December 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#78 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Very happy for Sinfield, not so happy as I couldn't find odds......paddy bloooody power!!

#79 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

kev sinfield has won it

told ya :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#80 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I wish people would stop assuming that just because a players plays in the NRL that they deserve it more than a SL player. You can't argue with what Sinfield has done and the out and out class of Sam Tomkins.

Yes you can.Super League I'm afraid is a very weak competition with no strength in depth.