Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

LPL media release

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,837 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Yes you can.Super League I'm afraid is a very weak competition with no strength in depth.

So it's rather interesting to note that Luke Burgess, a Leeds Rhinos player who couldn't regularly make first grade at Headingley, went to the NRL and was a standout performer for South Sydney, playing a key role in their charge to the last four of that competition.

#82 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Probably went over there to improve his game.

#83 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Surprising, I thought he had gone over there for a rest.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#84 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,837 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Probably went over there to improve his game.

Or to improve South Sydney's game!

#85 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well lets hope next year in the World Cup when we play them these world class players show up for once because i've been waiting since Boothferry Park 1982!

#86 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Interesting you think that. I was talking to Darren Lockyer recently and he thought precisely the opposite. He seems to think that Sinfield is a sensational leader and a great player who would have been a top player in the NRL without the slightest doubt.

He has watched Sinfield a lot, and of course has played against him. He was amazed that anyone would think differently.

The fact is there are six tremendous players on the Golden Boot shortlist and whoever wins it will deserve it.

Sinfield has had numerous games against Australia and NZ and has not once looked like causing them trouble. Thats why I say he would be an average NRL player. he doesnt have the skill or the speed to be termed as one of the best players in the world. He has never shown that his playing ability can trouble the best. He is a fantastic leader and one of the best players in SL. But I fail to see how you and others can rate him so highly. I also fail to understand how Sinfield has done more than Cam Smith, who has an even better individual record in 2012, can be voted the player of the year. Especially when Sinfield was not the Leeds player of 2012 or even made the SL Dream Team of 2012. With respect playing against france and Wales is nowhere near as tough as playing against NZ

#87 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sinfield has had numerous games against Australia and NZ and has not once looked like causing them trouble. Thats why I say he would be an average NRL player. he doesnt have the skill or the speed to be termed as one of the best players in the world. He has never shown that his playing ability can trouble the best. He is a fantastic leader and one of the best players in SL. But I fail to see how you and others can rate him so highly. I also fail to understand how Sinfield has done more than Cam Smith, who has an even better individual record in 2012, can be voted the player of the year. Especially when Sinfield was not the Leeds player of 2012 or even made the SL Dream Team of 2012. With respect playing against france and Wales is nowhere near as tough as playing against NZ

no england or GB player has troubled the aussies for the past 20 years...........but kev has won man of the match against NZ in practically every game against them since the last world cup

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#88 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Interesting you think that. I was talking to Darren Lockyer recently and he thought precisely the opposite. He seems to think that Sinfield is a sensational leader and a great player who would have been a top player in the NRL without the slightest doubt.

Martyn, I had a read of your piece on the award in RLW today and it came across more as justification than celebration. Do you think there's anything in that observation and if so do you think it's telling?
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#89 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Martyn, I had a read of your piece on the award in RLW today and it came across more as justification than celebration. Do you think there's anything in that observation and if so do you think it's telling?

I have no problem in Lockyers comments but in reality what was he going to say but that?
When people are famous and visit another country they usually say complimentary things don't they? they are often being paid to visit, saying a bunch of negative things would hardly be good form or courteous.

#90 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well one thing is certainly correct now, its going to spice up this years World Club Challenge and the World Cup campaign later in the year!

#91 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

He has watched Sinfield a lot, and of course has played against him. He was amazed that anyone would think differently.

The fact is there are six tremendous players on the Golden Boot shortlist and whoever wins it will deserve it.

He's hardly going to dismiss him in public is he.What did you think he was going to say.It's like a Politician,he's never going to say publicly what he's really thinking privately.

Edited by clement, 04 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#92 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

He's hardly going to dismiss him in public is he.What did you think he was going to say.It's like a Politician,he's never going to say publicly what he's really thinking privately.

So do you think Lockyer doesn't rate Sinfield.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#93 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year, so why does he deserve it more than them, it's not like Sinfield accomplished more than Smith and Cronk did.

Edited by 1jordy, 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#94 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it,

Get knocked out in the grand final apparently.

(I joke, but reading Martyn's response to the golden boot, it does almost read as if that's what swung it for Kev. I know it isn't by the way)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#95 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series, and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year.

I was under the impression that it was an INTERNATIONAL panel of judges.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#96 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

YES

#97 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

To rate someone you should be worried about what they bring onto the field.I just can't see the Australians being worried about Sinfield been in the England or GB team,he's never done anything special against them before.

#98 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

To rate someone you should be worried about what they bring onto the field.I just can't see the Australians being worried about Sinfield been in the England or GB team,he's never done anything special against them before.

I agree with you, England are pants and no one scares the Australians

But Sinfield in the WCC did dominate the Australian champions.

So maybe this one performance won him the golden boot.

#99 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I agree with you, England are pants and no one scares the Australians

But Sinfield in the WCC did dominate the Australian champions.

So maybe this one performance won him the golden boot.

plus for that reason I think that Leeds weren't that impressive till later in the season after training for the WCC.The Callenge cup semi also showed his vision of how to put young master sam under pressure early doors
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#100 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I suspect they'd be more wary of an England team with Widdop at stand off rather than Sinfield as they know from experience that he has the ability to hurt their best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users