Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Golden Boot shortlist: Four Aussies, Two Brits

LPL media release

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

plus for that reason I think that Leeds weren't that impressive till later in the season after training for the WCC.The Callenge cup semi also showed his vision of how to put young master sam under pressure early doors

Fair comment and no arguement from me

#102 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Martyn, I had a read of your piece on the award in RLW today and it came across more as justification than celebration. Do you think there's anything in that observation and if so do you think it's telling?

Just read it and agree.Seems like Smiths attributes and achievements are brushed aside just to get Kevin the award. I would have no problem if Kevin was awarded an outstanding services to the game award or something. But best player is just wrong and cheapens the award.

#103 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

The story of last season (and what it is awarded for) does seem to be being re-written by LPL/Leeds fans in order to make Sinfield's season retro-fit this award.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player who performed superbly come the right end of the last season. But neither his international performances, his Challenge Cup Final display nor his 'normal season' stuff was anywhere close to what this award is supposedly about. Cameron Smith, who I find to be slightly odious and a casual cheat, was nevertheless world class at every level of the game last year, from start to finish.

Sports awards are sports awards: a bit of fluff to get us through the colder months. And Martyn can award his awards to whoever he likes. It's the concoction of a new narrative for 2012 that rankles a bit.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#104 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

The story of last season (and what it is awarded for) does seem to be being re-written by LPL/Leeds fans in order to make Sinfield's season retro-fit this award.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player who performed superbly come the right end of the last season. But neither his international performances, his Challenge Cup Final display nor his 'normal season' stuff was anywhere close to what this award is supposedly about. Cameron Smith, who I find to be slightly odious and a casual cheat, was nevertheless world class at every level of the game last year, from start to finish.

Sports awards are sports awards: a bit of fluff to get us through the colder months. And Martyn can award his awards to whoever he likes. It's the concoction of a new narrative for 2012 that rankles a bit.

TBH Martyn completely dismissed the LLS when stating that Sinfield led his team to 2 of the 3 trophies - you could easily make an argument that this is writing off the bulk of the season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users