Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Your team so far

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Based upon the players we have signed on to date, what would your starting 17 be (assuming everyone is fit).
I'd go:
1. McGilvery
2. Clay
3. Wiper (since he and Clay played together at Salford)
4. Lowe
5. Haney ( Love the guys passion and fire, but feel Nixon will get the nod ahead of him)
6. Casey
7. Campbell
8. Spencer
9. Dandy
10. Brennan
11. Harrison
12. Jones
13. Mossop (like the idea of a hooker at 13 to give us extra width and attacking dimension)

14. Dawson
15. M. Haggerty
16. K. Haggerty
17. D.Toal

Players missing out Bulter, Whitehead & McGoff (rotate for injuries to front rowers), Nixon & Backhouse (although i feel Nixon will get the nod over Haney), Finch, Kaighan & Marwood (Cover injuries to halves and hookers),, and Larkin.
Larkin misses out solely because at the start of the 2012 season, Holt said the drop down in division would allow twiggy to mature and become a class centre, dont feel he achieved this and rarely 'stood' out against lower teams, although didnt do anythin wrong either.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#2 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Think your right about Nico..I still believe you give him n inch and he is gone but can't disagree about Haney I love his passion although sometimes I think he gets his teeth into a game too much...lol

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

I agree but if your going for a hooker at 13 I'd opt for finch personally. The pack does look very mobile, I could see Toal having an impact coming on when the oppositions forwards are tiring and give a lift too our side. Haven't seen much of Casey at all really, we'll have to see how he goes. Our team is exceptionally young I mean look at the forwards, apart from Harrison their average age is like 22, I feel we need another second rower with a lot of experience isn't Stuart Jones of Castleford wanting too step down a division? A player of the calibre of him would be great. Centres I'm not sure ill only have an opinion after a few friendlies about the best partnership. I think Haney should start he is class and great to watch. Hopefully Campbell goes injury free as he could be the best 7 in the league.

#4 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Your right soss, there is a fine line and he does go too far at times, but i think his passion can inspire others. His workrate is good, and he scoots from dummyhalf as well as takin the ball up the middle to give forwards a break, where i dont feel tht Nixon, other than his pace offers us that.

#5 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

I agree but if your going for a hooker at 13 I'd opt for finch personally. The pack does look very mobile, I could see Toal having an impact coming on when the oppositions forwards are tiring and give a lift too our side.

But then you would leave out either Dandy or Mossop who are arguably better ball handlers.
as for Toal, i considered leaving him out of the 17 altogether, as i thought he dropped off towards the latter half of the season, offesnsivly anyway, defence was always solid. Thought teams cottoned onto his scoot from back of the scrum and shut him down, but his support play was good, and he would probably serve better off the bench than a starting spot

#6 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

I agree but they are two different types of player that can offer different elements to a game. I am bias towards Nico as I have known him along time and he is a Dalton lad but I really got on well with Haney and some of his hits are amazing for a guy of his size. Heart says Nico start head says Haney. Depends on the game plan Holty chooses.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#7 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

I think Nixon has in the past been a great player for the club, and his heart in coming back from injury repeatedly is credit and testamant to the lad, but i feel that the injuries have knocked his confidence, and last season against lower level opposition was a great chance to rebuild it, but it just didnt happen, just doesnt have to confidence in his ability to take the defender on the outside, and doesnt look for the ball. Its nothing personal, just think he have better wingers, like Haney and Backy

#8 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'm sorry to say you may be right. We did see a glimpse of the Nico of old with some great try's but I agree Haney had the bigger impact in games.

#9 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

I just hope that in time he'll recover his form and prove me wrong. Problem is i wont be around to see it since i move to Sydney in 25 days time. Damn

#10 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Get the videos sent to you..always highlights on mail website as well..good luck over there mate.

#11 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Why would you drop Toal for finch or mossop are you mad!!!! he was one of the better players last year now u wud drop him? Very strange opinion there!

#12 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

i'd still like to give Finchy a go at halfback. If not he would have to be on the bench as he can cover various positions.

Swap Mossop for Dandy and start with Toal.

We are very weak at centre..Larkin is ok as injury cover, Low isnt good enough defensively and Wiper did nothing against us in ALL games last year and Haven fans werent upset to see him leave....McAvoy (who is class) has replaced him up there so they will be stronger in that dept this season.

In fact the best centre at our club is Bull.....no doubts there at all.

And you know what id give Backy a go in the forwards .. he has the heart but maybe not the size to make it but its worth a shot ?

Haney over Nixon on last years form...no contest.

I hope the youngsters brought in from away cut it or we could be in big trouble.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#13 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Bull at centre for me too, especially with the new forwards signed !

Posted Image

#14 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Totally disagree the bull had best season in the pack last year why change he's been playing class..... Season hasn't started yet give the lads who play centre a chance before slating them .

#15 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

just observations Storz...nothing more nothing less

I hope any of the guys mentioned come up to the plate then we will all be happy.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#16 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'd switch Bull back to centre, only if we signed another good 2nd row to replace him, as i feel the pack would be notably weaker in his absence otherwise.
For me, i think we have to play smart this season.We haent got the biggest (physically) team on the paddock hence why i want to play a hooker at 13 so we can become a mobile team and strike teams over the park, running bigger forwards off their feet, and feel that the extra pivot would provide this for us.
Think utilising toal off the bench would allow him to work the tired opposition forwards a bit more since he isnt physically big enough to be a running forward and our 9's are better ball handlers.
As for Backy in the forwards...understand where your coming from, but would he make the team as a forward with the ones we have signed on, in my opinion thats a no. Shame though, as he gives 100% every time he pulls a shirt on, but in this division, with the likes of Fev, fax, leigh, sheffield and Batley waiting for us, passion alone isnt enough.

#17 nick beach

nick beach
  • Coach
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

i cant believe people are saying twiggy would only be good as injury cover! he has played, and performed at this level before so i would have him as a definate shoe in at centre, also toaly would be an automatic pick at 13 but maybe interchange him abit more so we can get even more out of him!

also id have to start chez over nico purely and simply for his work rate, cant carry passengers and our forwards will be up against it this year so hard working wingers will be a god send

Edited by nick beach, 07 December 2012 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users