Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Adrian Purtell cleared to play again

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

T&A link

Adrian Purtell has been handed a massive boost after being given the green light to resume his playing career.
The Bulls centre’s future was plunged into serious doubt when he suffered a heart attack in the aftermath of the Magic Weekend encounter with Leeds at the Etihad Stadium on May 27.
The end of his long road to recovery is now finally in sight after leading sports cardiologist Sanjay Sharma told him he could start playing again in three months.
Purtell must take medication as a procedure for nine months after his heart attack and is still unable to take part in full contact training, but he should be back in contention to play again in March.
The 27-year-old Aussie recently had an MRI Scan at Leeds General Infirmary before undergoing intensive stress tests at St George’s Hospital in London on Wednesday, which gave him the news he craved.
“I couldn’t have hoped for any better news,” said Purtell.
“I’m delighted because I still feel I’ve got a lot of years left in my playing career. I went down there on Wednesday with high hopes, even though I was expecting the worst, and it’s been a great outcome.”
Professor Sharma put Purtell through a series of tests on Wednesday and the former Penrith Panthers man added: “I was on a treadmill with an ECG and it gradually got harder on a bigger incline.
“They monitored how my heart responded and Professor Sharma has been awesome to deal with.
“He was very blunt and put things in layman’s terms.”
Purtell will head back home to Australia to see friends and family at Christmas.
He added: “I’m on medication for my blood, which I need to keep taking for another three months.
“I’ve then got another appointment in three months, which is just a check-up, but I should be okay to play after that.
“I haven’t even thought what game I’m going to come back for.
“I’m just going to train hard for the next couple of months to get my body right.
“Hopefully I’ve had all my bad luck now and can just get back to playing almost a full season with the boys.
“I’m a big fan of Christmas, so I’m looking forward to being home with my family and friends, especially on the back of this kind of news.”
Bulls coach Francis Cummins said: “It’s great news for Adrian and for us as a club and a team.
“It wasn’t that long ago we were hoping that Purts was simply going to have his health and that he could just live his life.
“To get this news is huge for us.”
Meanwhile, Brian Noble will be selling copies of his new book at the Bulls’ Christmas Fayre tomorrow between midday and 5pm.
Jamie Langley is also holding a stall selling his We Are Taurus merchandise and there will be a Tombola with items donated by the Bulls players.

Excellent news. :)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Fantastic news.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I don't think I would play at that level ever again. I heard a good analogy about your hearts. 'You can put a broken Stradivarius violin back together but it will never play the same'

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Top bloke, chuffed he's ok and back playing
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

That's a great outcome for the lad. I wish him well. Having had a slight heart attack myself back in August this news serves as a tonic for me as well. Look forward to seeing him playing for the Bulls very soon.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#6 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

It's great news, both for the club who have, in effect, a new singing and for the lad himself. Good luck Adey and all the best.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#7 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Excellent news for Adrian and his family.

Hopefully he can get back to where he was on the rugby field and be a big bonus for the Bulls.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users