Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Divvying up the money

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

With the huge influx of money into the NRL via the media rights deal an ugly squabble over money has erupted.
Senior players want to increase their share through a rise in the salary cap from $5m to $6.5m.
Some people like Ken Arthurson reckon the top players are already paid handsomely and that extra money should go in another direction to the development of the game and support for the country areas.
What has spurred Arthurson to speak is the reported threat that some top players might strike for more money (increased salary cap).

Edited by G Las D, 07 December 2012 - 10:00 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Wayne Bennett talking sense on the situation as always.
http://www.dailytele...r-1226530012100

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wow, Wayne's said more there to the media than he's said in the last ten years! :lol:

#4 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Yes,it`s all about how many slices of the extra pie these so called big stars will get. Unlike tennis,boxing and golf,nobody is any good at team sports without the help of their fellow players,so it`s all very relevant to that. The problem is the blackmail threat of Rugby and Aussie Rules,though the pathetic crawling back of Israel Falau has allayed any imminent player changes to those silly games. The NRL needs to stand up to the bullying tactics of the so called super few,there`s hundreds waiting in the wings to step into their boots and I for one won`t be too upset if the Thurstons,Smiths and Marshalls go on strike. Try living on $21 an hour and having to work night shift to make a living,oh,and there`s no chance of a pay rise either,or my boss even paying my super!!

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have no problem in good players being well paid. I don't like it though when clubs pay almost all their money on players to the point where the club is in debt and often aspects of the game like grass roots development, junior teams, ground facilities (for paying customers benefit) etc get skimped on or cut.
SL has shown how a huge influx of media money has been spent while many, but not all, clubs have little to show for it other than huge debts, some going bust.
Better players will always attract better payment. However too big a gap between them and their team mates has to be watched. Personally I'd always be happy to play in a team with world class team mates better than me, especially if we were on a winning bonus scheme! Overall though somebody does have to be in charge of the game controlling excesses in all departments, and seeing rules are followed.
What is bad is when huge amounts of money are given to players who either aren't up to scratch, or don't have any loyalty to the club or the fans.

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

The players do deserve more money especially at the bottom. Its a tough game where you put your body on the line. It can and does make you suffer later in life. So I do understand why the players want more and why. However the players also need to realize the game needs to invest at grassroots level and help the development of the game in the bush as well as in the cities. The game is more than the NRL. My concerns are that alot of the money is being wasted on admin areas but the ARLC wont admit how much and where exactly. Its rumoured that the new CEO who starts in February will be on double what Gallop was on. Why? He should have to prove himself and meet certain targets to get the money much the same as players do. I do feel the game needs to take the control of the game away from clubs who often have damaged the game with their short term thinking. Melbourne has been great for the game. Perth has that potential too- except the clubs especially in Sydney are frightened of less money etc. Better links with the Bush/country rl as well as the Aborigne group should be done. Where there is money there is problems. Both sides should be doing whats best for the game. The ARLC needs to be more open and the players need to understand more that the game is more than just about them. Mistakes by either side could once again send the game backwards like in the SL wars

#7 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Exactly,the game is a lot bigger than twenty or thirty so called mega stars and Wayne Bennett has it right when he says the blokes on the fringe should be the ones who should benefit more than them. Grass roots football also needs to be looked after,something Super League completely forgot about,or couldn`t be bothered about. The new CEO? He doesn`t even know who Cameron Smith is,so why they`d appoint a bloke (think he`s a Welshman) who knows nowt about the game,beggars belief,though I suppose you could say the same about that dumb Irishman who`s in charge at Qantas! Why they have to pay them megabucks is scandalous,but why they got rid of Gallop,who I thought was doing a good job,resolutely not allowing the games` big names to dictate things,probably indicated the new regime wanted a change of direction and one that I`ll certainly be looking at. Already they`re trying to dictate that fans in Sydney will have to travel into the city for home games to mega stadiums that they`ll be lucky to get 10,000 at. So straight away,Manly and Tigers fans are not going to be happy and will probably stay away in protest and you can`t blame them.

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I see that Willie Mason appears to have turned over a new leaf.
Rather than exhorting his fellow professionals to come out on strike, this time he's urging them to be more cautious.
As someone who knows how doing or saying the wrong thing can cause you a lot of trouble he's now warning his fellow players that they'll lose public support and be 'hammered' by fans and media alike.

... the outspoken prop (Mason) also believes the ARLC must show players more respect after chairman John Grant declared the league would independently set a new salary cap should a collective bargaining agreement not be struck within the next two months.

Edited by G Las D, 12 December 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

been away in Wales so only just catching up.

I've also now just seen this:

Players and the NRL moved closer to resolving their stand-off over a salary cap increase on Wednesday, giving hope there may be a resolution by Christmas.

Players and players' association representatives were locked in talks with NRL officials, both sides conceding some progress in their bid to find common ground as they attempt to split up the game's broadcast deal riches.
"We've seen some really positive progress today. There's a range of issues that we continue to discuss," interim NRL chief executive Shane Mattiske said.

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,938 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

So, you aren't a star player but get a regular place in the team in NRL 2013, read on ...

It looks like you'll be on $80,000.
There'll also be more for middle income players as well as the stars.
To achieve this the salary cap seems likely to rise to $5.8 million (not the $6.5million the top players were asking for).
It's still a victory for the players though and it sets a precedent: The new bosses look like they can be moved.