Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumberland League vote to stay summer

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I'll believe the latter two when I see it. I can't see a uni-based club side being sustainable long term.

Shame more couldn't been done to smooth the rough edges off Sheffield Forgers when they started up

#22 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

infact the South west Yorkshire and Doncaster area are looking to run a combined district cup next season.

Only five years after I suggested it as the only viable solution for local cups in the county....!!

#23 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

I'll believe the latter two when I see it. I can't see a uni-based club side being sustainable long term.

Shame more couldn't been done to smooth the rough edges off Sheffield Forgers when they started up

Youll be surprised on the uni front. SHU are following Loughborough RU's example... with a healthy relationship with the Eagles. They have spanking new facility on the way and are investing in our game in the right way. You might be surprised!

Sheffield Forgers ran well for four years, what killed it was being stiffed by the venue and an absence if a suitable summer based comp.... and two other organisations who I shall not mention for professional reasons.

#24 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

If Sheffield Hallam don't get off the ground then to be blunt lots of good clubs are potentially without a league depending on how low we can go with Conference South size. The good news is they definitely will be there but they won't all be students. They will have many Sheffield U23 players from last year.

#25 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Probably more Featherstone lads playing winter at other clubs than at Lions, Sheffield, lol the one and only club have taken the bait to fall in line with the Eagles mainly because it wasn't really pulling trees up in the winter, hold on it didn't in the summer either, both Sheffield and Featherstone only have one club each, but if you count Ponte in with Fev (get your map out Bowes) you'll find the area has more winter sides and I suppose if you do the same with the south west Yorkshire service area you'll again find more clubs playing winter, infact the South west Yorkshire and Doncaster area are looking to run a combined district cup next season.

Technically isn't Fev part of Ponte?

#26 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Looks like this thread has turned into a Yorkshire crack,poor old Cumbria forgotten again!

#27 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

Only five years after I suggested it as the only viable solution for local cups in the county....!!

I suggested it a lot longer than 6 years ago, the South West sides didn't want it, thank SS for dividing South Yorkshire when it had 26 teams taking part in a district cup competition also suggested an origin type SY competition.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Technically isn't Fev part of Ponte?

I suppose that depends on who you talk to, Moorenders don't like being called Thornies

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

There's supposed to be 3 next year all summer. Sheffield Hallam in Conference South and Wharncliff Dragons (probably Yorkshire Merit League? They're RU based if they come off) as well as Hillsborough Hawks

Apart from the Eagles overspill Sheffield Hallam will be made up with a lot of BARLA players, as with Kippax and Bramley will this work long term?

#30 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:05 AM

Interesting to see a little snapshot survey conducted by @AmateurRLQuotes on twitter indicated that 84% of the "hundreds" of people who responded showed a preference for summer.

https://twitter.com/AmateurRLquotes

The account only began a few days ago and already has almost 3000 followers, not an RFL run account, just an account run by a fan/player that is followed by participants and supporters of Amateur RL.

I appreciate that the demographic of the people that use twitter are younger but surely this gives an idea about where and when those people want to play the game. Maybe it isn't just the RFL pedaling out stats from misleading surveys that contained loaded questions.

Edited by thestatman, 12 December 2012 - 11:47 AM.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#31 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:41 AM

Interesting to see a little snapshot survey conducted by @AmateurRLQuotes on twitter indicated that 84% of the "hundreds" of people who responded showed a preference for summer.

https://twitter.com/AmateurRLquotes

The account only began a few days ago and already has almost 3000 followers, not an RFL run account, just an account run by a fan/player that is followed by participants and supporters of Amateur RL.

I appreciate that the demographic of the people that use twitter are younger but surely this gives an idea about where and when those people want to play the game. Maybe it isn't just the RFL pedaling out stats from misleading surveys that contained loaded questions.

I am amazed that I made a comment on the Summer/Winter debate and Marauder did see fit to comment on it. Oh hang on it doesn't back up his argument does it! I knew there must be a reason, my bad!

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Anyone know the lineup for the Cumberland League this year?

#33 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Barrow Island, Walney, Seaton, Distington, Glasson, Maryport, Cockermouth and Wath Brow A

#34 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Nice to see Bramley got a semi positive mention. Don't forget the heavy woollen area Dewsbury/Batley plus Ossett/Drig/Brigus.

Winter rules in West Riding ok!

#35 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Barrow Island, Walney, Seaton, Distington, Glasson, Maryport, Cockermouth and Wath Brow A

Sorry meant the division below which was Cumberland League division 2 but is now simply the Cumberland League I believe

#36 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ah right. Sure I read somewhere there was to be a meeting next week to discuss the exact format. Might have been on the CARLA Facebook page I read that.

#37 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Closing date for A team entries is first week in Feb I think, so the league won't be finalised until then, but it will be at least a 10 team league based on previous years, possibly more if there are some A team entries

#38 The knowledge

The knowledge
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Anyone any idea when clubs will be advised re YML line up?

Edited by The knowledge, 23 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#39 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Anyone any idea when clubs will be advised re YML line up?

Says on another thread it will be in the next few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users