Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gillingham to host Wheelchair World Cup

Wheelchair World Cup Kent Medway

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

The Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup will be coming to Medway next year, the first time it has ever been held in the United Kingdom.Posted Image

The international tournament is the latest major sporting event to be added to the sporting calendar at Medway Park, after Medway was selected as host by the The Rugby League World Cup 2013 Organising Committee.

Six teams from around the world will compete for the title during the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup, which will take place from 3 – 14 July 2013 at Medway’s £11m regional sports centre, Medway Park.

England’s team will be defending their title at the tournament, after becoming the world champions at the inaugural world cup held in Australia in 2008.

Home to local team the Medway Dragons, Medway Park has already hosted Wheelchair Rugby League international matches in preparation for the 2013 World Cup where England played France in front of a sell-out crowd in August this year.

The Dragons are no strangers to the international stage, with two of their own players – Nick Rooks and Joe Coyd- in the England squad and coach Martin Coyd also the manager of the England Wheelchair Rugby League team.

“This is a great opportunity to not only showcase the sport, but to promote our area and our facilities on an international stage” said England Manager, Martin Coyd.

“To host the competition in Medway where our own team is based and to have two local lads playing on the team for their country will be a real honour and I’m sure the crowds and the atmosphere the tournament will attract won’t disappoint.”

Medway Council’s Portfolio Holder for Community Services, Cllr Howard Doe, said: “After a great sporting year, this announcement is another chapter in Medway’s sporting legacy, adding to the series of international and national events that have been hosted in Medway.

“We’ve invested significantly in our sporting facilities in Medway and in doing so we are not only attracting the attention of world class athletes, but we are bringing exciting, international events right to the doorstops of all of our residents, so they can enjoy and be inspired by them.

David Butler, a member of the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup Organising Committee, said: “We are delighted to have secured Medway Park for the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup.

“After the success of the England v France match earlier in the year, we are confident that the venue will offer superb training and match facilities for the countries taking part. We are also looking forward to working with the hotels and local businesses in the area who will play an important part in delivering a successful tournament.”

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Its a shame they're not spreading this out a bit. I'd have loved to have seen a game up here. The highlights of the last WC on YouTube are pretty impressive.
Posted Image

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Any word when the matches will be? Would love to come to a few of these
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Second line of the story says 3rd to 14th of July.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Second line of the story says 3rd to 14th of July.

Sorry, I meant what days. Will they be daily matches or just on Saturday/Sundays? When are the England matches?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#6 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Why is there a picture of Murderball in this thread? :huh:
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#7 brooza

brooza
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Probably for the same reason the headline is "Medway to stage Wheelchair Rugby World Cup"

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

Indeed!

Plenty of good Wheelchair Rugby League shots knocking about I'm sure!

Cracking sport, well worth making a visit to take a game in in person, should be a good season this year with the carrot of a world cup squad spot up for grabs.

Easily the most brutal code of rugby I've seen and highly entertaining to watch.

#9 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Probably for the same reason the headline is "Medway to stage Wheelchair Rugby World Cup"

Read the title and OP again. ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Read the title and OP again. ;)

I know that it's Wheelchair RL, but the reporter doesn't seem to know the difference, which is the point I'm getting at

#11 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Most of the regional sports reporters in Kent seem to have knowledge of one lower league football team (Gillingham) and one county cricket team(Kent) and that is it. I'll check the photo more carefully the next time before posting anything from the South East press. :)

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Most of the regional sports reporters in Kent seem to have knowledge of one lower league football team (Gillingham) and one county cricket team(Kent) and that is it. I'll check the photo more carefully the next time before posting anything from the South East press. :)

Easy mistake to make I guess, given the code of Wheelchair Rugby played in the Paralympics is different to the code that Kent will be hosting for the World Cup, and does use a round ball and did stem from Murderball.

Its never simple with Rugby of any form...........!!!

#13 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Nay worries. ;)

#14 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

It would be great to get it on TV even if its given to Premier Sports

#15 ritz

ritz
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Its a shame they're not spreading this out a bit. I'd have loved to have seen a game up here. The highlights of the last WC on YouTube are pretty impressive.

Could have watched the 4 nations at the bonus arena this year, even john prescott got in a chair.

#16 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Halifax wheelchair rugby league club have received Lottery funding to develop the first ever integrated wheelchair cheerleading group.

Halifax RLFC’s senior cheerleading group have thrown their support behind the scheme and with top class new facilities at Calderdale College and an invitation to perform at the Wheelchair RL World Cup Finals in Summer, all those taking part can expect a wonderful experience in front of a packed house in Medway.

It is also expected that the group will perform at the clubs home RL games and will exhibit within the region.

The group are looking for disabled and non-disabled to take part in the sessions which start on Monday 7th January 8pm till 9pm at Calderdale College Inspire Centre, Dance studio, Francis Street.

Sessions are free, with no previous experience needed, and is open to male and female participants. Call Frank Watene on 01422 342792 and leave contact details.

#17 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

http://www.pitchero....p-c-793425.html
Competing teams will be France, Australia, Scotland, Malta, Wales &hosts, England.

#18 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Just seen this excellent video where Fox Sports news did a feature on the sport and also included clips from England v France. Well worth a view

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wheelchair World Cup, Kent, Medway