Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Portugal announce a game against Japan

Portugal Japan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

http://www.portugues...php?news&nid=21
2013 Matches
23-11-2012

PORTUGAL V JAPAN
Thursday 31st Jan 2013

Sydney, Australia

INTERNATIONAL NINES
Saturday 2nd February 2013
New Era Stadium,
Cabramatta

Posted Imagev Posted Image

The Japan rugby league team will tour Australia in 2013.

They have planned a two match schedule. The first match planned is against the Australian based Portugal team on Thursday 31st January.

Two days later they will participate in the International Nines tournament at New Era Stadium, Cabramatta on Saturday 2nd February.

The two nations previously played in 2008. Portugal won 28-16 over Japan in a thirteen-a-side match. In the International Nines tournament four days later, Japan defeated Portugal, 20-6, in the semi-final of the Plate Competition.

The rivalry is set to continue in 2013. Details will be released when finalised.

As well the match against Japan, the Portuguese hope to compete in the International Nines tournament alongside Japan.

Players and coaching staff are required for the 2013 series. Provide details using the link on the contact us page.

Though the Portuguese side is currently made up of heritage players based in Australia, they do have the goal of setting up a league in Portugal
http://www.portugues...index.php?p=1_3

Rugby League in Portugal

The major goal of the Portuguese Rugby League Association (PRLA) is the establishment of a rugby league base in Portugal.
The sport of rugby league is not foreign to Portugal, with many European super league (professional rugby league teams in England) teams including St Helens, traveling there for pre-season camps.
In order for Portugal to be considered a rugby league playing nation and eligible to compete in rugby league world cup qualifiers, a rugby league competition or tournament must be played in Portugal on an annual basis.
The PRLA would be looking at establishing both junior and open age rugby league competitions.

Edited by flyingking, 08 December 2012 - 10:19 PM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

This "Portuguese" team has been around for a few years now but nothing ever seems to get going in Portugal. I hope I'm wrong but I can see this match as being just another jolly for Aussies with Portuguese heritage.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

The Japanese team sound like a genuine touring side though?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

The Japanese team sound like a genuine touring side though?

The sport in Japan pretty much consists of a group of guys that play a couple of matches against an ex-pat team and travel to Australia every year for this 9's tournament. I believe they are mostly legitimate Japanese but they aren't really interested in developing the sport, just playing socially and touring every year.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

The sport in Japan pretty much consists of a group of guys that play a couple of matches against an ex-pat team and travel to Australia every year for this 9's tournament. I believe they are mostly legitimate Japanese but they aren't really interested in developing the sport, just playing socially and touring every year.

Thanks.

Is that fair enough then if that's all they want out of it? Or should they be obliged to do some junior/grassroots work in Japan? I'm not exactly sure how or why or if this would be 'enforced', just curious to know what people think.

Edited by Johnoco, 10 December 2012 - 10:14 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

You would think that if the Japanese don't have the required number of domestic teams or the league setup in place then they won't get anywhere near World Cup qualifiers until that's put in place.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Both of these teams should be compelled to use 'XIII' in their title because they're not in any real sense representative teams for those countries.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

You would think that if the Japanese don't have the required number of domestic teams or the league setup in place then they won't get anywhere near World Cup qualifiers until that's put in place.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Japan for the World Cup, are they?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I don't think anyone is suggesting Japan for the World Cup, are they?

It wouldn't surprise me to see an Asian qualifying group for the 2017/2021 WC. The Japanese have appeared in previous WC qualifiers.

rldfsignature.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Portugal, Japan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users