The SKY contract for RL - good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

#261 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

The only bias I have is that I think the absence of P&R is fundamentally bad for our game. General sports fans already describe our system as "bizarre" what the movers and shakers in sport will think if we have a ten team (not twelve) comp with two of the teams being from abroad god alone knows. That leaves 8 English clubs, how much notice are the Engllsh media going to take of such a comp? Very little is my guess. Our media profile has declined dramatically since we got into bed with Murdoch. They don't exactly ignore us but they come pretty close. Contrast this with the superb treatment the Beeb gave to RL's 1995 World Cup and Centenary. What did they get for their pains? Murdoch and Super League. Is it any wonder their treatment of our game is now a little less than overwhelming ? In those days the likes of Hanley, Schoey, Offiah were household names, how many of our top stars could be so descibed today? None! Kevin Sinfield is IMO the equal certainly of Schofield and possibly even Hanley, I'd like to bet no one not involved in RL south of Doncaster has heard of him.
I do think Super League has been bad for the game but there's no going back. But given that we are in a hole the least we could do is to stop digging! At least make the game recogniseable to fans of other sports as being based in the British tradition. We aren't Americans and we aren't Ausses. Our players have no SOO to motivate them to better things, we need the stimulous that P&R gives. ATM many of them are in a comfort zone.

What superb coverage of the 1995 World Cup? Do you mean the live coverage being restricted to the final, semis and the England v Australia group game? The rest of the competition was ignored, other than brief highlights late at night. There was a pre-final review programme, but that was a last-minute thing after the tournament had captured the public's imagination. The BBC's coverage was dreadful.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#262 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

Oh give up. The RFL desperately wanted Glover and Newmarket full stop. Cru lost their licence without them or the RFL losing face.

Prove it.The RFL wanted their Welsh experiment to suceed and weren t too bothered about a failed club in the Calder area.They didn t know how good an owner Glover was going to turn out to be and the Newmarket situation was still very far from resolved and the RFL were into the Wrexham stadium for 700,000..

#263 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Prove it.The RFL wanted their Welsh experiment to suceed and weren t too bothered about a failed club in the Calder area.They didn t know how good an owner Glover was going to turn out to be and the Newmarket situation was still very far from resolved and the RFL were into the Wrexham stadium for 700,000..

I agree,I remember seeing pictures of the Wakefield staff and fans rejoicing after the Crusaders withdrew and they realised they still had a spot in Superleague.
It worked out well forTrinity when they realised just how good an owner Glover turned out to be.Sad for the Crusaders fans though.One would hope the people in charge of
the licencing process have learnt from their mistakes.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#264 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Prove it.

You prove otherwise, it was not the point, you say a 3 year license is guaranteed no matter how badly a club performs. It's NOT guaranteed and that is the point.

#265 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,872 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

What superb coverage of the 1995 World Cup? Do you mean the live coverage being restricted to the final, semis and the England v Australia group game? The rest of the competition was ignored, other than brief highlights late at night. There was a pre-final review programme, but that was a last-minute thing after the tournament had captured the public's imagination. The BBC's coverage was dreadful.

absolutely spot on. This is a perfect example of making things up to suit!

#266 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Wakefield's licence would have been called in but the withdrawal prevented that happening and so, to date, there has never been SL licence recalled, cancelled, revoked, call it what you will. Not even the Bulls debacle resulted in a loss of licence.

#267 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

You prove otherwise,

So instead of proving it you just throw the same question back. Whats up Parkie someone called your bluff?

#268 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

So instead of proving it you just throw the same question back. Whats up Parkie someone called your bluff?

You haven't followed the debate, just found a chance to have a personal go at me adding to the other numpties lacking manners and an ability to debate reasonably.

For your information Keighley said that Hailifax in 2003, would have stayed in Superleague under the licensing system if it had been in force. I said there would have been no guarantee of this because you can lose your licence mid term if you do not perform. That's a fact as Cas and Wakey were warned they could lose their licenses mid term, Bulls could have lost their license if there had been no rescue.

The fact it didn't happen does not negate the fact it could happen and so Keighley's point was lost, but he changed it, thus simply creating a silly argument. Then along you come with personal remarks holding his coat.

Now how about it Guess who? has the SKY contract been good for the game or bad?

Edited by The Parksider, 16 December 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#269 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I mean the documentary about the game in which the noted Union star Cliff Morgan contrasted the two codes and said (without a cone of silence descending) the he doubted (at that time) if any of the current 5 nations internationals would be good enough to get into a RL 1st division side. The games centenary was even important enough to justify a set of stamps from the Post Office. I doubt very much that this would be the case today.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#270 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Show me examples of our media profile being high pre-murdoch, show me post Wapping how our profile was raised, rugby's profile nosedived following the loss of regional offices, the fact is we then got treated the same as the Southern issues had aays treated us, ignored.

When Northern papers printed loads of rugby reports, those reports were not published elsewhere

When was the last time the post office issued a set of stamps commemorating a RL occasion? You can't really get higher national recognition than that - I still have mine!

Edited by Trojan, 16 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#271 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

On both counts the weight of opinion and evidence is against you but you are entitled to your opinion.

By weight of opinion do you mean the number of posts pro licensing that you make on here? Because the columns and letters page of LE tell a very different story. As for evidence, what evidence? Crusaders going bust twice? Wakey going bust twice? Bradford gong bust? Salford struggling? Cas cancelling their new ground? London changing their name again? And playing in front of two men and a dog? Come on Parky the game's going to hell in a hand cart!

#272 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

You mean these? http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B007VQQNM0

Certainly raised the profile of the game. I wonder how many new people were attracted to our game or have kept their stamps?

Contrast and compare the BBCs general presentation of the game then with today's SuperLeague Show, the coverage on Radio Five Live and not just because of George Riley but the live match commentaries on R5L, R5L Sports Extra and local radio. The frequency with which RL players are on Question of Sport...

#273 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,151 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

By weight of opinion do you mean the number of posts pro licensing that you make on here? Because the columns and letters page of LE tell a very different story. As for evidence, what evidence? Crusaders going bust twice? Wakey going bust twice? Bradford gong bust? Salford struggling? Cas cancelling their new ground? London changing their name again? And playing in front of two men and a dog? Come on Parky the game's going to hell in a hand cart!

How representative is that though of the 70,000 or so a week who attend SL games and the hundreds and thousands who watch on TV?

Run a poll.

#274 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

When was the last time the post office issued a set of stamps commemorating a RL occasion? You can't really get higher national recognition than that - I still have mine!

Well since a centenary only happens every 100 years I don't think any of us will be around to find out the answer to that one. That has got to be the silliest example ever.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#275 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

Crusaders withdrew. SL were about to boot Wakefield and admit them before their owners realised they couldn't hack it. Not that it didn't turn out really well for the game becauseiobviously we have found a gem in Glover. Does he have a brother in Manchester?

Wakefield could not possibly have been about to be booted out, you have posted time and again that this doesn't happen. So were Wakey about to be booted out or not. If they were, as you kindly pointed out to us, then your argument that nobody will ever have a licence revoked, and Halifax would never have been relegated, is null and void.

Edited by Padge, 16 December 2012 - 05:37 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#276 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Wakefield could not possibly have been about to be booted out, you have posted time and again that this doesn't happen. So were Wakey about to be booted out or not. If they were, as you kindly pointed out to us, then your argument that nobody will ever have a licence revoked, and Halifax would never have been relegated, is null and void.

Has it ever happened, yes or no? The answer is "No". It may well have happened if Crusaders did not withdraw, but it didn't. I am sure it could happen, but it's going to take a lot before it does. Bradford weren't kicked out even. Salford, well, maybe, but I doubt it. Castleford, we'll see but to date NO ONE.

#277 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Has it ever happened, yes or no? The answer is "No". It may well have happened if Crusaders did not withdraw, but it didn't. I am sure it could happen, but it's going to take a lot before it does. Bradford weren't kicked out even. Salford, well, maybe, but I doubt it. Castleford, we'll see but to date NO ONE.

Well you are telling us nothing new are you, but your argument was based on Wakefield were about to be kicked out and elsewhere within this thread you claimed that Halifax wouldn't be kicked out. You can't have it both ways.

Which argument are you going to use, it can't be both, it must be one or the other.

#278 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

Well you are telling us nothing new are you, but your argument was based on Wakefield were about to be kicked out and elsewhere within this thread you claimed that Halifax wouldn't be kicked out. You can't have it both ways.

Which argument are you going to use, it can't be both, it must be one or the other.

Wakefield were already on a warning that they could possibly lose their licence, I don't believe that was the case with Halifax.

Disappointed with Parky who is always asking others to prove points but when asked in this thread doesn't have anything to prove his point other than another question!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#279 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Still got my stamps!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#280 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Wakefield were already on a warning that they could possibly lose their licence, I don't believe that was the case with Halifax.

Sorry but that is irrelevant to Keighley's stance, on one hand he says nobody will ever lose their license on the other he says if the Crusaders hadn't pulled out of SL Wakefield would have been kicked out.

He wants to argue both ways and he ain't getting away with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users