Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
81 replies to this topic

#21 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Yes, but if Salford go Sale will face the full rental unless a new tenant is found. So it will affect them

no they won't. They have contract with the stadium to play over a fixed time period. That's not negotiable
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Sheffield are 'champions', let them go in ;)

No thanks. <_<
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#23 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

and if they do play in the cc i just hope the rfl don't want us in to make the numbers up because how sl stands now were better where we are it's a lot better comp than sl it's looking like it's going to be a cracking season 2013

I agree Plug. The SL is not all it is cracked up to be at this moment in time, in fact it is a poisoned chalice in some cases. Better out of it for the time being until the financial climate improves.

#24 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Personally, I don't think the RFL will ask Rovers to make up the numbers if Salford go bust. Either another club will rise from the ashes of Salford - Salford Phoenix style, with almost the same players OR Leigh or Halifax will get asked because they have a suitable ground already. Don't think Sheffield have the fan base at present so I have exculded them.

#25 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

Personally, I don't think the RFL will ask Rovers to make up the numbers if Salford go bust. Either another club will rise from the ashes of Salford - Salford Phoenix style, with almost the same players OR Leigh or Halifax will get asked because they have a suitable ground already. Don't think Sheffield have the fan base at present so I have exculded them.

Leigh won't get asked because they had their chance and blew it big time with the hammerings week in week out fax won't get asked because they can't sustain it financially and like you say the eagles haven't got a fan base. Which just leaves us IMO which I hope to god we don't get asked because its a financial graveyard at the minute even though with the sponsors and our BOD it will be hard and financially we are the best equipped by far in our league and I don't think our finances would stretch that far.

Edited by thundergaz, 14 December 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#26 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Leigh won't get asked because they had their chance and blew it big time with the hammerings week in week out fax won't get asked because they can't sustain it financially and like you say the eagles haven't got a fan base. Which just leaves us IMO which I hope to god we don't get asked because its a financial graveyard at the minute even though with the sponsors and our BOD it will be hard and financially we are the best equipped by far in our league and I don't think our finances would stretch that far.

Why do you write so much good stuff on here and yet come on our forum talking garbage?
Great post.

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Salford's replacement will be Salford Newco.

Why the debate ? We all know it's true.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#28 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

I think griff is right the most likely replacement, should one be required, would be Salford newco on a probationary license. Sadly, the longer a resolultion takes the more inevitable weekly drubbings become.

If a replacement were sought and Fev were asked I wouldn't be averse to us accepting, subject to certain conditions:

A 5 yr licence, if licensing is retained. No point going into SL for 2013, having to re apply at the end of the 1st season.

All compensation for termination of part time contracts already signed to come from central funds.

A distribution over & above tv money to compensate for the difference between sponsorship deals agreed for champs rugby & the sum that could reasonably have been expected had we been a SL club when negotiating.

Subject to a maximum of two per club, any player with whom rovers can agree terms to be released as a free agent. Otherwise a season of tonkings & declining intetest would likely ensue.

There's more chance of Salford doing the double of course & I very much look forward to another tilt at the championship & NRC. However if SL did need another club at short notice & they were serious about wanting sustainable clubs who are not going to be wrecked by promotion when they are unprepared........

#29 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

If Salford go into liquidation then Salford Newco MUST start again from the bottom of the proffessional ladder. If they were allowed to stay in Super League without paying anything back to their creditiors, how on earth would other clubs be able to borrow money? Anyhow, if their remaining fans stood by them they would be a competitive force in the Championship within a couple of years, along with Fev, Fax & Leigh, who all have more impressive trophy cabinets.
As far as their replacement goes, what makes anyone think there would be one? Super League would be just as likely to go with one less club, share Salford's slice of the cake between them, and make up the fixture shortfall with even more local derbies. They already have an unbalanced fixture list, and they don't like the idea of the league winners being champions, they prefer the best team on the day in the GF!

#30 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

BBC website states that Swinton are donating gate reciepts to the Saflord cause from their Friendly!

How very embarrassing for Salford & Super Duper League. You couldn't make it up.

:wacko:
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#31 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

BBC website states that Swinton are donating gate reciepts to the Saflord cause from their Friendly!

How very embarrassing for Salford & Super Duper League. You couldn't make it up.

:wacko:

Well you could make it up lingard the RFL have been doing that for years :-)

#32 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

yes, but isn't it good that swinton can put aside local rivalry to help salford. hope salford don't forget the gesture
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#33 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Salford let swinton play at the willows when they sold their ground, so history of supporting each other OR
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#34 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Salford let swinton play at the willows when they sold their ground, so history of supporting each other OR

just like us n cas then.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#35 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Drove past Wakey on the M1 today, were you the lad licking lamposts?

#36 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Latest news is that a Middle East millionaire is taking over. Just one of a long line in sport.

#37 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Drove past Wakey on the M1 today, were you the lad licking lamposts?

😄😄😄 Craig I've come to the conclusion SL is a closed shop if teams are going belly up etc and still being aloud to stay in SL. like Salford who haven't sold a single season ticket yet and they still have their SL licence and they wonder why people are losing interest in our sport. IMHO I don't think any champ club will get into SL in the near future but if any club will break that mould it will be us. ( I only think that because the RFL have turned our sport into a millionaires game like football if you have very deep pockets you can come in which I think is a joke) But anyway we are the only team in the champ with maybe coming up with that scenario( at this present time i may add) that's why I think it will be us but that's the only reason I think that.

Edited by thundergaz, 10 January 2013 - 01:05 AM.

#38 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Craig I've come to the conclusion SL is a closed shop if teams are going belly up etc and still being aloud to stay in SL. like Salford who haven't sold a single season ticket yet and they still have their SL licence and they wonder why people are losing interest in our sport. IMHO I don't think any champ club will get into SL in the near future but if any club will break that mould it will be us. ( I only think that because the RFL have turned our sport into a millionaires game like football if you have very deep pockets you can come in which I think is a joke) But anyway we are the only team in the champ with maybe coming up with that scenario( at this present time i may add) that's why I think it will be us but that's the only reason I think that.

Gaz, ignore the rights and wrongs of it but entry is via criteria the first being earn the right to apply, Fev, Sheff, Fax and Leigh have earned the right. Of those clubs we/Leigh are best placed to meet stadium/crowds/income because of LSV - LSV has 22 exec boxes and extra corporate in 4 lounges for up to another 600 - if full thats a massive income stream that you cannot currently compete with. We can run full jnr set up but we are behind you guys currently and are making profits after 2011's loss of our benefactor.
I am a two divisions of 10 in SL advocater, that figure allows all current ambitious clubs and 2 expansion to enjoy FT structures and enhanced fixtures. If results mattered then Fev walk it but the Widnes model is the one to follow for SL tick boxes, and that is how we must play. Salford, Wakey and Bradford are role models for us minnows to aspire to.

#39 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

LSV take all the profit though, not Leigh!
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#40 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Sidnee he bases his facts on Leigh being the best for super league because they rent a shinny stadium, and that is the only reason he thinks Leigh should be in super league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users