RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

ike southward game

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

the ike game has been confirmed as off and wont be re-scheduled according to haven officials. its a shame for both sets of supporters as we all enjoy the festive derby.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#2 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

the ike game has been confirmed as off and wont be re-scheduled according to haven officials. its a shame for both sets of supporters as we all enjoy the festive derby.

Surprise, surprise they don't want to reschedule it as they don't want it to interfere with their plans, they would rather jet off to France for a jolly than honour a local legend.

A much better way of honouring Ike would be to play the match between Town and Oldham. the two teams he played for.
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#3 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

At DP on good friday double header

#4 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

yeah best decision made all round. town couldnt get a team together because of injuries and suspensions for the original date and to be fair haven shouldnt have to change already organised plans. so making it the 1st league meeting is the best call by both clubs.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#5 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

yeah best decision made all round. town couldnt get a team together because of injuries and suspensions for the original date and to be fair haven shouldnt have to change already organised plans. so making it the 1st league meeting is the best call by both clubs.

Indeed the fuss made by them lot down the road is simply staggering. :rolleyes:

Circumstances just conspired against it being played pre season this time round, no big deal, and certainly no
need for petty point scoring by some of the debt dodgers supporters. At least their
board seem to be ok with it having issued a sensible joint statement along with Town board. A competitive league game will be a fitting match to decide the trophy winners.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,591 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Right decision. Its the 2013 season,so common sense says spend nov and dec getting fit and then play 3 or 4 friendlies smoothly running up to start of feb.

#7 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Wait for choccies love child!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Haven4ever and others come on here and go back to the Haven forum and post so here's one for them. Just what exactly could Town do to have had this game played over the Christmas period given the circumstances they found themselves in. Players had to go for operations during the close season period and some only a week or two ago. Anyone who has had an operation knows that they need a period of recuperation and then they need another period before any bodily contact is possible. Add on to that the fact that we have two players banned for the early part of the season and that our full squad only amounts to 20 players, where do they suppose we would get a team?

Widnes are in their pre-season training and friendly matches and so cannot loan us players until late in January. So come on, what is the answer? I am sure that both clubs have been in touch with each other and no doubt Town will apologise for not ringing H4E and Choccy direct to keep them in the picture. I have no doubt at all that when Town play at Widnes on 13th January, some of the Widnes players will appear in Town shirts in front of their own coaching team, etc, as part of their pre-season work.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

"its a disgrace". thats the title of the thread on Deludedfans.com about the news of the game being off. i think it was started by the same brightspark who started the dowes to the bulls thread. its a very funny read. their delusion has no boundaries lol.

#10 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

They'll just be bitter because they're losing the money it would've generated

#11 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Leave them to it, we don't need to justify anything to the tards down the road.
Let them have their little bits of smug satisfaction. If you were a haven fan you would latch onto any small thing after the last few years bankruptcy, defrauding the taxpayer, losing 5 times to their bitterest rivals in one season losing a big chunk of stadium money and world cup fixtures to Town, never winning any meaningful silverware in their entire history etc, etc I could go on but we should let them be as they aren't too fortunate :)

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#12 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

We had all this last season then proceeded to thump them FIVE times

#13 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Haven4ever and others come on here and go back to the Haven forum and post so here's one for them. Just what exactly could Town do to have had this game played over the Christmas period given the circumstances they found themselves in. Players had to go for operations during the close season period and some only a week or two ago. Anyone who has had an operation knows that they need a period of recuperation and then they need another period before any bodily contact is possible. Add on to that the fact that we have two players banned for the early part of the season and that our full squad only amounts to 20 players, where do they suppose we would get a team?

Widnes are in their pre-season training and friendly matches and so cannot loan us players until late in January. So come on, what is the answer? I am sure that both clubs have been in touch with each other and no doubt Town will apologise for not ringing H4E and Choccy direct to keep them in the picture. I have no doubt at all that when Town play at Widnes on 13th January, some of the Widnes players will appear in Town shirts in front of their own coaching team, etc, as part of their pre-season work.

Keith, thats way too much of a sensible post for those down the road to understand.
I'd put money on them not even getting to the end of the post before launching into their bestest reply with lots of insults, capitals and exclamation marks just to show how great their reply is.
Watch this space for some quality debate on the subject

#14 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

They always get a bit excited before we play them & get a bit boisterous, then we stuff them and it all goes quiet again (think it happened five times last season)

It's just a bit of disappointment coming out on the threads on their part, they think they can stuff us and start calling themselves the Pride of Cumbria again, seeming to forget they robbed their own supporters and local community when they folded and emerged from the ashes "squeaky clean".

I mean its their cup final every time we play them isn't it, playing their bigger local neighbours with a history of success.

I am sure they will forget about it in a week when the next rumour comes along and they hit the keyboards, and they will come along end of March.

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Some of the rubbish they come out with is unbelievable. Now, if H4E was sceptical he would say that it was a calculated move by Town not to say we were playing Widnes on 13th January in order that they couldn't arrange a home friendly match with someone else!!!! Of course, I think he's saying that he's not sceptical, so that's alright!!!

Do they not think that just like themselves Town could do with what would have been a share of the gate money? Why would any Championship club throw that sort of money away if they could possible avoid it?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#16 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Its hilarious seeing them attempt to take some kind of moral high ground over this, though I suppose its pretty much all they have to cling to at the moment after a few years of being a disgusting club shitting all over everyone.

#17 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

You'd think they'd be happy that 5 - 0 didn't become 6 - 0 . You can't please some folk !!

#18 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

You'd think they'd be happy that 5 - 0 didn't become 6 - 0 . You can't please some folk !!

they appear to have blanked 2012's derby games out of their minds or they're pretending it didnt happen. apparently its going to be different this season its even stevens now lol. #deluded

#19 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Its hilarious seeing them attempt to take some kind of moral high ground over this, though I suppose its pretty much all they have to cling to at the moment after a few years of being a disgusting club shitting all over everyone.

It's no surprise considering they slag off every other team that has suffered financial problem, yet seem to forget the antics their tax-dodging lot got up to.
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#20 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Great decision not to play the Ike game yesterday, no doubt it would have been called off,and the weather is only going to get worse over the next few days. I hope the players all enjoyed their Christmas, and didn't eat too many mince pies !!
Happy New Year to all my fellow Townies and players, see you all at Swinton on the 3rd of Feb.

UP THE TOWN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users