RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Youth structures changing....AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

It seems that the lack of clubs taking part in whatever scheme is the problem. I reckon that a tie up with amateur clubs is the answer. Players will get games, amateur clubs will be stronger and player development will continue. I don't mean taking over amateur clubs but for Championship teams to enter teams into amateur leagues. Not ideal, but better than no games or development at all.

The trouble with that is ... only amateurs could play.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

The trouble with that is ... only amateurs could play.

Then we should have to resort to the old RU tactic of putting a bob or two in a boot. There never have been wholly true amatateurs.

#23 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Then we should have to resort to the old RU tactic of putting a bob or two in a boot. There never have been wholly true amatateurs.

Sorry I had a coughing fit on the last word.

#24 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

The RFL are a disgrace for the whole running of the game or should I say ruining of the game. Youth and player development is vital for both pro and amateur clubs, players and various national teams. But as usual the clubs look to make short term decisions and concentrate just on the first team. The Clown Twins at the RFL (Wood & Rimmer) just agree without thinking and seeing the damage its doing to the rest of the game. For me EVERY SL club should run a U23, U20, U18. If you cant afford it dont be in SL! EVERY Championship team should run a U23 and U18. Cant afford it then drop down to Championship one! If Halifax, Featherstone and Sheffield can afford to run teams at various academy levels why cant Sl teams?

I dont know what the SL U19s team will look like but I presume the 13 English teams all have one and Catalans have a reserve team in UTC that play in Elite 1. Simple thing for me is add Halifax, Sheffield, Fev, Keighley and Leigh to them. Have 2 conferences of 9 with the top 4 playing of against each other. Not rocket science. Maybe the 5 Championship clubs are allowed 5 players over to play in any one game. The RFL should be encouraging clubs to run academy teams not penalise them.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 13 December 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#25 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

The RFL are a disgrace for the whole running of the game or should I say ruining of the game. Youth and player development is vital for both pro and amateur clubs, players and various national teams. But as usual the clubs look to make short term decisions and concentrate just on the first team. The Clown Twins at the RFL (Wood & Rimmer) just agree without thinking and seeing the damage its doing to the rest of the game. For me EVERY SL club should run a U23, U20, U18. If you cant afford it dont be in SL! EVERY Championship team should run a U23 and U18. Cant afford it then drop down to Championship one! If Halifax, Featherstone and Sheffield can afford to run teams at various academy levels why cant Sl teams?

I dont know what the SL U19s team will look like but I presume the 13 English teams all have one and Catalans have a reserve team in UTC that play in Elite 1. Simple thing for me is add Halifax, Sheffield, Fev, Keighley and Leigh to them. Have 2 conferences of 9 with the top 4 playing of against each other. Not rocket science. Maybe the 5 Championship clubs are allowed 5 players over to play in any one game. The RFL should be encouraging clubs to run academy teams not penalise them.

+1
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#26 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Then we should have to resort to the old RU tactic of putting a bob or two in a boot. There never have been wholly true amateurs.

Well, the point I was making is that you'd need to get the amateurs to agree to it. Otherwise you're back to the same old problem - not enough teams to make the comp viable.

#27 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

The RFL should be encouraging clubs to run academy teams not penalise them.

+2

#28 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

It seems that the lack of clubs taking part in whatever scheme is the problem. I reckon that a tie up with amateur clubs is the answer. Players will get games, amateur clubs will be stronger and player development will continue. I don't mean taking over amateur clubs but for Championship teams to enter teams into amateur leagues. Not ideal, but better than no games or development at all.

They are working on Championship link ups with amateurs but it needs accepting by the amateur clubs.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

They are working on Championship link ups with amateurs but it needs accepting by the amateur clubs.

Exactly the stumbling block of which I was thinking ....

#30 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

It must be down to the narrow minded mentality. In my playing days I played for the under 18's and under 21's at Fev when Rovers were selling players to survive. Indeed it looked to the junior players to produce the conveyor belt of talent. If we in those old days could afford junior teams and can still do it, whats the problem with all clubs doing it? As I said it is the lack of business integrity and shortsightedness that's my view. Proper forward plan ning is non existant.

#31 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

SL clubs would rather waste thousands on a first team where they have next to no hope of reaching the playoffs let alone a grand Final. How many Playoffs have Salford reached? or Castleford or London etc. Instead of wasting money on Bruce the kangeroo who has played the odd game in the NRL they should be forced by the RFL to spend a certain amount on running a minimum of 2 academy teams. All the money the game has had from Sky and I include my club Halifax in this has been thrown away to players and their agents and little if anything spent on ground and training facilities. The odd club like Leeds where I have been lucky to spend a evening or so with Gibbo, Barrie Mc etc with the academy in 2011 have done and reaped the benefits. Others like Huddersfield who couldnt even be bothered sending U20 team to Wigan should be fined heavily. Instead the RFL listen to the clubs wing instead of telling them frame up meet the standards or you are out. Then the likes of Fev, Sheffield and Halifax should be asked not told to replace them.

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,513 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Exactly the stumbling block of which I was thinking ....

I'm sure Featherstone Lions would welcome the influx of players but depends what other NCL clubs think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users