Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Ticket Holders Nominations

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#81 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Really well that isn't what it looked like.

I was left to look at the way forward for the club and resolve any problems with the running of the club, not a crusade to get rid of people but I can assure you if i had found people with hands in the till during the time i was there then they would have been removed. I had many meetings with Gary to look at the best way forward and one of them was stock takes which are nesecary in any buisness. My point is I couldnt understand (at the time) why he was against it. End of

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#82 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

That's not a fair question as it involves my opinion..what should happen is the board should let us all know what their role is and how they have strengthened the club through their role. There are some great guys on the board but there are some there that are either not up to the job or do not have the experience to fulfil a given position.

I could tell you my ideal board from who is already elected if it was reduced to seven.

David Sharp Chairman
Keith Holt. Finance/commercial
Phil Heighton. Bars and refreshments
Keith Nutter. Communication
Andy Gafney. Rugby development
Alan Park. Ground development/maintenance
Jimmy Tongue HSE

I would expect these people to be supported by either non executive directors or volunteers from the business community, however these people would be accountable for their own section of the running of the club.

That's good to know. I agree with all them Bar Keith Holt. I wouldn't have him on Board. My opinion.

#83 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

That's good to know. I agree with all them Bar Keith Holt. I wouldn't have him on Board. My opinion.

You would not have a club without the work Keith Holt does so maybe you can enlighten us all on your train of thoughts ?

#84 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Old ground guys..lets move back on topic as I'm sure we are all agreed that Gary and Tracy continue to do the club proud with all their hard work and dedication as volunteers.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#85 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

I was left to look at the way forward for the club and resolve any problems with the running of the club, not a crusade to get rid of people but I can assure you if i had found people with hands in the till during the time i was there then they would have been removed. I had many meetings with Gary to look at the best way forward and one of them was stock takes which are nesecary in any buisness. My point is I couldnt understand (at the time) why he was against it. End of

For Gary to be ably to stock take nobody else would be able to have access to the bar without Gary being there.

#86 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

You would not have a club without the work Keith Holt does so maybe you can enlighten us all on your train of thoughts ?

His pure arrogance and the way he talks down to people. You can't do that in the job he's there to do. Don't forget he's wanting people to give the club money. That's why.

#87 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Old ground guys..lets move back on topic as I'm sure we are all agreed that Gary and Tracy continue to do the club proud with all their hard work and dedication as volunteers.

I don't think Gary and Tracy are appreciated enough by some people to be honest.

#88 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I don't think Gary and Tracy are appreciated enough by some people to be honest.

Agree with you there blue moon.

As for Keith Holt my opinion is he works tirelessly for the club putting in over 60 hrs a week! I think you have to accept with his background that he is going to express an opinion in his own way. It would be a huge loss to the club if he was voted off for the way he speaks to people.

Edited by soss, 14 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#89 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Agree with you there blue moon.

As for Keith Holt my opinion is he works tirelessly for the club putting in over 60 hrs a week! I think you have to accept with his background that he is going to express an opinion in his own way. It would be a huge loss to the club if he was voted off for the way he speaks to people.

Yes but he need to remember he is on a level with everyone else now. He's not in charge of anybody anymore. That's the only beer I have. Apart from that I don't really know many others on the BoD. The ones I do know Phil and Keith how anyone could question them being where they are is beyond me. They both have blue and white blood.

#90 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Some great guys on there BM..

#91 BarrowV

BarrowV
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

do i understand this correct that if 300 people voted for the directors of there choice then aproximatley 290 of the voters votes make no difrence if the others voted diffrent are we in the dark ages if what has been posted on here is correct then it apears that those that saved the club originaly have been asked to get involved to save the club this year

#92 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'll say in again..
If you didn't agree with the voting system when you were on the BOD, why didn't you chance it then ? You had the power to do so

#93 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'll say in again..
If you didn't agree with the voting system when you were on the BOD, why didn't you chance it then ? You had the power to do so

To change the voting system you need to call an EGM or carry it out at an AGM so catch 22 and not in the powers of the BoD.

#94 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'll start this with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Firstly. Its nice to know that Me and Tracy are of such great interest to people and are appreciated. What we do down the club is for the love of the club.

Secondly. There has been mention on this thread and others about certain members of the board not pulling their weight, also they are going to be named and shamed. If certain MOB aren't doing enough. Where are you getting your information from. Surely when the BOD hold meetings, they are a closed meeting. So if you know someone isn't doing enough a member(s) of the current board must be leaking information.
To me, it is the first season this board has been together and to me they have done a great job. If they haven't done enough, could we not put that down to naivety and they didn't realise how hard it was going to be, also some do have jobs and families so not ever director will be able to put in the same amount of time and I personally think whatever help they give is a bonus. I'm sure the way forward would be to let the current board gel a little longer. Certain people are leaders and some like to be nudged in the right direction. Let them work it out themselves. Its going to be a tough year with the lights and all but I'm sure the club will get through it.
Its nice to see that many people so passionate about the club and its fantastic. But to come on here and say things about board is not fair and its not doing the club any good. People are now doubting the BOD because someone says 'they aren't doing enough'. If Mike and Neil still want to help in the background thats great and needed. Its all for the best of the club they love.

Its going to be a long hard season with many trials and tribulations in front of us. So can we not get behind the BOD and stop slating them.

This is my Opinion!!!
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#95 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Gary

Your opinion is fair comment and understandable if you have not been privy to meetings of the BoD. As previously stated I would not stand for election with the state of the current BoD (even if the voting was a fair system) but that is mainly down to it being a thankless job especially if your working your socks off and carrying others that just want to take. Proof is always in the pudding. If i run my car on a flat tyre then i must expect to ruin the tyre and stand the cost.

Your correct in saying they need time to gel and they will make mistakes but we are 12 months down the line and what is planned needs to be followed through with positive results. Not happend so far.

#96 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

we should only have people on the BOD who REALLY have the best interests of the club at heart. If there any freeloaders on there they should be jettisoned whether they were voted on or not...I know its difficult to just get rid without extraordinary meetings etc....but the club will not survive without the right people on the BOD.

Lets get it sorted before its too bloody late!

Then please get like minded Deb Holders to call a EGM and oust the dead wood, Please.

#97 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Neil, I for one really thank you for the huge help in saving the club at great cost to yourself both financially and timewise & You should be loudly applauded for achieving what you did but its surely more difficult to get these internal changes for the betterment of BRLFC from the outside, Please stand again in the future and move things forward from within, by making the changes that need to be made.

#98 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Gary, please believe me when I say I hold you and Tracy in high regards with the work and your free time that you commit to the club, however I have seen it first hand on the board and where there is no position for a board member you can not create one. Before any memberS step down or are voted off the a&a's need to be revised. This was given to two directors to do while I was there and to be honest if I had employed them to do this and they came back after months of work and a cost to the business I would have got rid of them.
I know what your going to say..its a voluntary position but to be in that position you have to be competent! There are not enough positions for twelve directors. Seven would be an optimum number with assistance from professional businessmen. I found that all the directors that had no task or did not fulfill the task they were given just got in the way of progress by commenting or proposing things they just didn't understand. Again my opinion but after running a business for 18 years I think my opinion is justified.
I would love to go into detail but ethically I can't.
Change the a&a's, reduce the board by methods I have spoken about and you will have a board that functions....I wish I could make the AGM but I'm away on business, however I will put some questions...by proxy of course...lol

#99 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Ps..I think with the chairman we have and the list of directors in my ideal board suggestions from existing members, supported by people like Neil (I wish he was on the board for the good of the club) we could have a very very forward thinking club.

#100 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Question, Can anyone attend the Deb holders meeting, As in open to the general public ?

Anyone ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users