Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Season Ticket Holders Nominations

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#101 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'll start this with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Firstly. Its nice to know that Me and Tracy are of such great interest to people and are appreciated. What we do down the club is for the love of the club.

Secondly. There has been mention on this thread and others about certain members of the board not pulling their weight, also they are going to be named and shamed. If certain MOB aren't doing enough. Where are you getting your information from. Surely when the BOD hold meetings, they are a closed meeting. So if you know someone isn't doing enough a member(s) of the current board must be leaking information.
To me, it is the first season this board has been together and to me they have done a great job. If they haven't done enough, could we not put that down to naivety and they didn't realise how hard it was going to be, also some do have jobs and families so not ever director will be able to put in the same amount of time and I personally think whatever help they give is a bonus. I'm sure the way forward would be to let the current board gel a little longer. Certain people are leaders and some like to be nudged in the right direction. Let them work it out themselves. Its going to be a tough year with the lights and all but I'm sure the club will get through it.
Its nice to see that many people so passionate about the club and its fantastic. But to come on here and say things about board is not fair and its not doing the club any good. People are now doubting the BOD because someone says 'they aren't doing enough'. If Mike and Neil still want to help in the background thats great and needed. Its all for the best of the club they love.

Its going to be a long hard season with many trials and tribulations in front of us. So can we not get behind the BOD and stop slating them.

This is my Opinion!!!

well said mate..

#102 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

To change the voting system you need to call an EGM or carry it out at an AGM so catch 22 and not in the powers of the BoD.

Who calls the EGM/AGM ?

#103 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

The club has a Grants Director who came to the board when I was there stating that what he could bring to the board was his expertise on Grants. He apears to remain on the Web site as Grants Director. Maybe he would like to comment on what Grants HE has found,applied for and had success with and what the current state is ?

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#104 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

Who calls the EGM/AGM ?

An AGM is called by the BoD were as an EGM can be called by the BoD or the Debnenture holders

#105 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

do i understand this correct that if 300 people voted for the directors of there choice then aproximatley 290 of the voters votes make no difrence if the others voted diffrent are we in the dark ages if what has been posted on here is correct then it apears that those that saved the club originaly have been asked to get involved to save the club this year

Saved the club ?
Do you not think if other people had been given the opportunity they would have done the same

#106 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Saved the club ?
Do you not think if other people had been given the opportunity they would have done the same

Other people ? you had a Board of Directors who had the oportunity ?

#107 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Other people ? you had a Board of Directors who had the oportunity ?

A none elected Board
My point was you've done nothing more than anyone else would have done in that position

#108 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

A none elected Board
My point was you've done nothing more than anyone else would have done in that position

Your post does not make sense ? The BoD were all elected and half way through there first term and I was not a Director ?

#109 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

The BOD that Alan Stoker put together was not elected.

Edited by dwb, 14 December 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#110 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have no intention of getting involved in a pointless never ending debate and am concerned that the comments on this forum are available to all.

My only comment is that in my view apart from the Chairman the most important officer is the Finance Director. I feel that he should be responsible for all matters of finance but under the general control of the BOD. He must be given the opportunity of giving detailed financial reports to the Board. The Board should lay down the general principles but the Finance Director must have the power to agree or disagree with the financial implications of any of the principles given by the BOD. This includes costs of team building,ground maintenance,medical costs etc together with income from match gates,,sponsorship fees,hospitality etc.

Posted Image

#111 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Correct Michael,
So why did we need to Finance officer (or what ever Neil's tile was)

#112 BarrowV

BarrowV
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

wasnt it the voted in board that recalled Neil as they did not have any one to continue what he had been doing

#113 BarrowV

BarrowV
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Saved the club ?

it sounded like a lot of time and buisness experience was needed which would probably cut the average man out

#114 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I have no intention of getting involved in a pointless never ending debate and am concerned that the comments on this forum are available to all.

My only comment is that in my view apart from the Chairman the most important officer is the Finance Director. I feel that he should be responsible for all matters of finance but under the general control of the BOD. He must be given the opportunity of giving detailed financial reports to the Board. The Board should lay down the general principles but the Finance Director must have the power to agree or disagree with the financial implications of any of the principles given by the BOD. This includes costs of team building,ground maintenance,medical costs etc together with income from match gates,,sponsorship fees,hospitality etc.

I disagree we cannot have 1 director in sole control of finance. Every BoD member needs to be able to say no, no, no! You've seen what happens when 1 guy is solely in charge of finance.

We do need somebody who can do it properly but the whole bod need to agree.

Edited by Blue moon, 14 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#115 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I disagree we cannot have 1 director in sole control of finance. Every BoD member needs to be able to say no, no, no! You've seen what happens when 1 guy is solely in charge of finance.

I do believe that you either dont read or dont understand these posts before you reply to them

#116 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I do believe that you either dont read or dont understand these posts before you reply to them

So you think it's ok for someone to be solely in charge of finances?

#117 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

That is why we are in the ###### we are in..ask any board member who you would rather have...some one who knows a little or someone who knew a lot...for ###### sake how much plainer must we make it....
I have a financial manager who looks at the commercial aspect of the business as well as the financial. You have people voted on the board with very little either business experience or commercial background and you expect them to run a business? The reason I left was I found it impossible to work with them after the proposed restructure...but what do I know I only run a company called kaymas..
And yes I am an arrogant #### as I am proud to bring my company to the level it's at...

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#118 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

so the one person who understands what is going on has to get the agreement of every board member?
Jesus I have been running my business wrong for the last 18 years ...putting all that faith in the people who understand the financial implications of a decision or tender...what I should do on the next big project we have is not listen to the one person who understands the financial position we are in but all of the people who say no problem go for it....hmm think I would be skint in a few months...

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#119 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 884 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Thats fine Mike. Your an accomplished business man. But what I want to know is, what do you want to happen now. Your saying the board is too big. What if it was reduced to '7'. Surely if the board was reduced it would put more pressure on the ones left.
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#120 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

So you think it's ok for someone to be solely in charge of finances?

the post clearly reads that he would be under the general control of the board he would not have free reign over implementing financial strategies without the bod agreeing so the scenario that you envisaged would not arise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users