Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

could Kyle Briggs be fullback

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

i think he could, given time, brave in the tackle, good hands, would come into the line well. i haven't seen him tested under the high ball but i think would cope ok. just a thought
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#2 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Have to agree I think he would be great at fullback and make us better in attack

#3 ChrisRover

ChrisRover
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

What's wrong with hardman?

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

What's wrong with hardman?

I agree best full back in our league for me by miles. But on the Briggs being full back I wouldn't see why not if hardman got injured etc. but hardman definatley got to be 1st full back for me he's a SL full back for me.Also for me if we can get Briggs back to his best get him back at stand off he would rip this league up if we can get him back to his scintillating best.

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

first of all, i'm not having a go at hardman. i'm just asking the question, do you think briggs has the qualities to play fullback. i think he does. as for briggs playing standoff and ripping this league up, didn't we have a standoff that did that last season..kainy was the best standoff in the division last season and yet some people still want to see him sat on the bench for half a game. first choice standoff for me.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

If it came down to it and we had to use somebody at full back instead of Hardman, it'd be Jonny Hepworth for me.

Briggs at full back Im not sure of, I'd much rather see him defending in the line than defending against a break.

Cummins Out.

#7 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

i've got absolutely no doubt about heppys ability to play full back. i was just saying do you think Karl could play fullback, not would you have him there with the squad we have now
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#8 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

No i dont think he could play fullback - the possibility would have surely been explored by us and by previous other clubs by now - hes in his mid to late 20's surely it wouldve been explored by this age just to even be considered a backup fullback

Also the guy has a voice and speaks good english - he may not wish and stated that he does not want to play there also or he perhaps might have developed his game to play in that role

Its not like we ever see him dashing back to cover if Hardman is out of posistion, can you say you have seen him ever do that?

Edited by elppaxr2i, 11 December 2012 - 04:48 PM.

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

firstly, i dont think he's as old as you say, and secondly, if he were fullback he wouldn;t have to dash back, they would come to him. i think jackie fennell, zak hardacre, and sam tompkins all started at standoff.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#10 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Wow! There's three good examples OR to give a thought a boost. Yes I feel he could play fullback but personally I would like him at number 4 just to give him chance to use his strength, speed and guile in that position. I also think he is younger than quoted.

#11 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think DP should give OR a Christmas prezzie and play Briggs at full back on Boxing Day then we will see if OR is right or not even though I hate friendlies I've never liked them they've haunted me ever since the andy Currier incident.

Edited by thundergaz, 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ive never thought about it, mainly through lack of necessity. Hardman has done a good job, and when he's not there Hepworth can stand in. Tom Carr looked promising for a while too.

Hypothetically speaking though, why not? I guess he'd have to do a bit of work to get himself correct positionally on attack and defence, and we'd have to see him under the high ball, but I think he'd be good enough.

Perhaps his distribution and tactical kicking skills would be less noticeable at fullback rather than 2nd receiver. I don't know.

Kyle's 24. Steadman was older than that when he switched and he was GB full-back for a while.

A Fev Blog

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Kyle could have played full-back in the days of Jackie Fennell, but not today. A major requirement of a modern day full-back is pace. While Kyle is no slouch he is not the fastest around, but he has other attributes that wouldn't be used in that position, such as his passing, cover tackling, tactical kicking, and strength near the line.

#14 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Kyle could have played full-back in the days of Jackie Fennell, but not today. A major requirement of a modern day full-back is pace. While Kyle is no slouch he is not the fastest around, but he has other attributes that wouldn't be used in that position, such as his passing, cover tackling, tactical kicking, and strength near the line.

paul wellens-pace?
is jonny hepworth blessed with pace. sometimes it's speed of thought that counts.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#15 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Did Briggs win the hands on backwards award or something for most handling errors?

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users