Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mergers, rebranding, relocations pt2....How about Liverpool Saints instead of St.Helens?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Discuss.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Everpool, surely? Nobody could object to that. :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,115 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Discuss.

Would you suggest calling Arsenal "North London" would be a good idea?

Ruin an iconic brand and appeal to a mass market that is not interested.

Could you please discuss why you make these suggestions and how you feel they would work better??

If people in Liverpool want to play pro RL or watch it they will do so and will go to places like Saints.

#4 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Discuss.

Absolutely not,and I will tell you why.The two most famous RL clubs in this country are WIGAN and STHELENS.Liverpool is A world brand association football club,very very famous.I natives of St helens and Wigan travel any where and meet peope who have heard of these towns ,they will say" ah wigan,oh St Helens rugbyleague clubs"I am from Leeds living in the USA and some people who have heard of the city dont mention Leeds Rhinos, they say Leeds united saccur team,The identities of St Helens on of the two most famous names in RL must be preserved.Both these towns are RL towns not to be confused with football clubs
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#5 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Why?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

St Helens are hardly a badly supported side.

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

this clown needs to give it a rest - it's getting boring
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

this clown needs to give it a rest - it's getting boring

why?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#9 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

why?

why's it getting boring?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Northwest Saints would be even more awesomer.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Cast the net a bit wider: Northern England Saints.

Or with a bit of cross code capturing: Jonny Wilkinsons London Northern England Saints.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Cast the net a bit wider: Northern England Saints.

Or with a bit of cross code capturing: Jonny Wilkinsons London Northern England Saints.

Why?

#13 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Saints and Widnes have been talking up taking a slice of the Mersey side market for years, but all it has been is talk. The Liverpool and Cheshire catchment area is huge why not exploit it? It seems as a sport we miss out on cities down south but also cities like Liverpool, Manchester on our doorstep.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 11 December 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#14 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

If they were called Europe Saints you'd get thousands of Eurocrats coming over every weekend. President Barroso told me this last night over dinner FACT. WAKE UP.
JB.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Wigan World has a ring to it, as does Calder Constellation.

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Wigan is about as close to Preston (well Preston post codes) as Saint Helens is to Liverpool, Preston is a city, so why not Wigan-Preston?
Keighley borders on Burnley & Colne, perhaps they could become Keighley-East Lancs? Large parts of Lincolnshire have DN postcodes, Perhaps Doncaster could become Doncaster-North Lincs - or even Doncaster-Grimsby? It makes as much sense as calling Saints Liverpool. BTW didn't St Helens Union club used to be called Liverpool-St Helens?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#17 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Wigan World has a ring to it, as does Calder Constellation.

The only RL sides based in towns actually on the Calder are Wakefield and Dewsbury. Unless you include my former side Ossett Trinity!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#18 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

Wigan is about as close to Preston (well Preston post codes) as Saint Helens is to Liverpool, Preston is a city, so why not Wigan-Preston?
Keighley borders on Burnley & Colne, perhaps they could become Keighley-East Lancs? Large parts of Lincolnshire have DN postcodes, Perhaps Doncaster could become Doncaster-North Lincs - or even Doncaster-Grimsby? It makes as much sense as calling Saints Liverpool. BTW didn't St Helens Union club used to be called Liverpool-St Helens?

Yeah but noone cares about Preston do they.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hardly a good idea to merge with a club from a city 12 miles away now is it? Particularly when that city is Liverpool.

Besides, we've merged with Rochdale already, haven't you heard?

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,965 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Why?

Why not? :)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together