Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mergers, rebranding, relocations pt2....How about Liverpool Saints instead of St.Helens?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

If they were called Europe Saints you'd get thousands of Eurocrats coming over every weekend. President Barroso told me this last night over dinner FACT. WAKE UP.
JB.

Get real shurely?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Northwest Saints Mighty Love Gods is even better.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

But Langtree Park isn't in Liverpool?
Posted Image

#24 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

BTW didn't St Helens Union club used to be called Liverpool-St Helens?

Yes

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,094 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

We're going to put wheels on it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Why not? :)

Discuss

#27 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Doesn't matter, Reading, Oxford and Wycombe, homes of London Irish, London Welsh and London Wasps respectively are blatantly not in London, people are stupid they'll never notice the flaw in the Liverpool plan! ;)

#28 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I've always thought it would we a good idea ,after all Eastern Suberbs became Sydney to expand there support base globally for instance St Helen's v Salford doesn't give the fixture national or global appeal but Liverpool Saints v Manchester Reds would make it more noticeable and expand global branding and tv rights

#29 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Eastern Suburbs are part of Sydney. St Helens isn't part of Liverpool.

#30 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

The OP has picked one of the very few names/brands which is already working. If anything, adding Liverpool is likely to alienate woolly backs who have little or no affection for Scousers, rather than attract thousands of Liverpudlians, who are already fully aware of Saints, and able to go and watch them at their leisure - it would take 20 minutes to get there from either Anfield or Goodison, so it is already a doddle to go and see them.

#31 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

The New Orleans Hornets of the NBA are set to be renamed the New Orleans Pelicans.

http://espn.go.com/b...for-new-orleans

So I say Saints should jump on this bandwagon and become the Liverpool Pelicans.

#32 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

The New Orleans Hornets of the NBA are set to be renamed the New Orleans Pelicans.

http://espn.go.com/b...for-new-orleans

So I say Saints should jump on this bandwagon and become the Liverpool Pelicans.

Surely there are lots of names attributed to Natives of Liverpool without calling them pelicans :D
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#33 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Surely there are lots of names attributed to Natives of Liverpool without calling them pelicans :D

They could run a competition in The Sun to come up with a name.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,023 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Individual clubs, merged clubs, SL clubs, Championship clubs etc, it seems to me, only succeed if the guy in charge, or the owner , or the supporters trust etc are determined, hard working, high profile leaders backed by great back-room staff, coach and highly motivated players. Salford? Mamchester City Reds? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch Warriors? Does not matter one jot if the vital force is not there.

#35 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Saints tried to link with Liverpool for commercial purposes and called their campaign "Saints in the City".
Long since finished.
From the Rocket (start of the M62) it is just over 10 mins to Langtree Park on match days though there is a distinct break in the two conurbations.
Saints could perhaps do more to get soccer fans from Liverpool or Everton to Langtree but it is a hard market to break into.
Liverpool/St Helens is still the name of the local Union club and they play at Moss Lane.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

Everpool, surely? Nobody could object to that. :P

i do how dare you suggest that liverpool's name be merged with that filthy seven letter word.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

as a native of sthelens i must strongly object to being linked with liverpool, my birth certificate state sthelens lancashire, not sthelens merseyside!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#38 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

as a native of sthelens i must strongly object to being linked with liverpool, my birth certificate state sthelens lancashire, not sthelens merseyside!!

Liverpool has been in Lancashire as long as St Helens has

#39 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

but sthelens will never be in liverpool

#40 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

The Wigan Saints, merge the two so that Yorkshire has a bigger piece of the pie.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users