Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Boxing Day

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

I parked up at 11. 45am on knowles road just off the centre of Purlewell. like DD says you need local knowledge. head to park up a few streets away

#42 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Didn't know you went thru Gaz. I know Vic n sue went back cos they couldn't get in the car park at 11.50 and there was no on street parking available.

I wouldn't have thought many people would have expected to park in a club car park 10 minutes before kick off for a Bank Holiday local derby.

#43 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Seriously, there's TONNES of parking round the Mount. There's no "problem" to sort out for the once or twice a year extra parking is required.

If people turn around because they can't park literally on the pitch then they clearly didn't really want to go in the first place.

Parking on the Taylor Street pitch and churning the playing surface up for the kids that play there is a poor idea.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#44 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I got there. I found somewhere to park. I don't mind walk.
However, two I know drove from kellingtom near Selby. Gaz a bit more local to fev but not exactly on the doorstep. Either way I would suggest if they've made the effort to drive that distance they were certainly serious about the game.
It matters not one jot to me either way but the lack of immediate parking facilities meant Batley missed out on a min of 2 car loads. There may have been more. If that's not a prob for Batley c'est la vie
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#45 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I got there. I found somewhere to park. I don't mind walk.
However, two I know drove from kellingtom near Selby. Gaz a bit more local to fev but not exactly on the doorstep. Either way I would suggest if they've made the effort to drive that distance they were certainly serious about the game.
It matters not one jot to me either way but the lack of immediate parking facilities meant Batley missed out on a min of 2 car loads. There may have been more. If that's not a prob for Batley c'est la vie

I sorry I don't see what the club are supposed to do. There is some parking available at the ground, but on days like yesterday, this obviously fills up quickly. There is also ample street parking around the area but again the nearer the ground the sooner it fills. To arrive 10 minutes before kick off I would have thought most people would think that they would be unable to find a parking space within the timescale to walk to the ground/get through the turnstile/find a good vantage point within the stadium before the whistle was blown.

#46 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Like I said, I don't really care either way! My club weren't the ones missing out!

#47 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Like I said, I don't really care either way! My club weren't the ones missing out!

Exactly Robin. I am not pointing the finger of blame at anyone because none was to blame, it's not a blame thing. I just think that in future, we might need to be aware that it might happen. I am sure KN would much rather have the £50 quid or so rather than miss out.
On a positive note, I think the car park must be one of our big money earners (or Supporters Club streams of revenue) especially so when visiting the likes of Barrow, York and Hunslet amongst others.

#48 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Distant one, you have it in a nutshell!

#49 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Just a small point although the supporters club help with the car parking I think the money now goes straight to the club.

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#50 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Just a small point although the supporters club help with the car parking I think the money now goes straight to the club.

OK, it must be a decent earner for the club over the course of a season. And I wasn't criticising the club or supporters club. I think we wring as much as possible out of our ground and environment. Yesterday must have been a great earner for everyone.

#51 PETES' LADS' BRUV

PETES' LADS' BRUV
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Could be a money raiser here,

1, Is it possible to "open up" the car park behind the sticks at the bottom end. (Some how?) (Included in hospitality packages?)

2, To park round the cricket ground and exit via the gate near Batley Boys ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, the land behind Tommos stand and the bowling green had cars parked there. I think thats a first? What is the reasoning behind that?
A new future has begun!

#52 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

1, Is it possible to "open up" the car park behind the sticks at the bottom end. (Some how?) (Included in hospitality packages?)

As far as I am aware the area behind the bottom sticks was/is for the Directors,players, staff and VP's as there were numbered car passes made for that purpose (They were made for Paul Hull). Idea being the spaces those cars took up in the car park, would release places and at £2 per car would increase revenues.
WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#53 bazbulldog

bazbulldog
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

years ago cars used to park around the cricket field and exit by the boys club but since the cricket club is now a totally separate entity (ie no longer part of Batley cricket,athletic and football club) Batley RL don't have the right to use this area,however if the cricket club were to get a part of the fee for cars parked around the cricket field they may agree to this,cars could go in by the side of the Boys club and exit down heritage road as they do now, this might occasionally cause a bit of a delay in exiting but it would only be occasionally and wouldn't be a massive delay, just a thought!

#54 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,472 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

On a slightly different note leaving the ground has always struck me as chaotic with nobody offering any form of direction or co-ordination. When i was walking through the cars on Sunday there was an ambulance attempting to get to the ground and, despite flashing lights and sounding of klaxon, it was getting absolutely nowhere. Surely this is the kind of thing that the club should be catering for?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#55 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

The only good news is that this situation won't happen again until Boxing Day 2014.

#56 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

On a slightly different note leaving the ground has always struck me as chaotic with nobody offering any form of direction or co-ordination. When i was walking through the cars on Sunday there was an ambulance attempting to get to the ground and, despite flashing lights and sounding of klaxon, it was getting absolutely nowhere. Surely this is the kind of thing that the club should be catering for?

I was leaving in my car at the same time and did receive direction and instructions from stewards. However I think that on this specific occasion some guidance was needed at the end of the road.
Traffic issues are not usually an issue during the season. I just think that all traffic should be stopped entering heritage road (taxis ) until the crowd has cleared.

#57 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Totally agree DD. The club should inform all the local taxi firms that they are not to enter Heritage Way until 30 minutes after the match ends. At least then all the traffic, both motorised and on foot, would be moving in the same direction. As it is a taxi travelling in the opposite direction to everything else just causes mayhem.

#58 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Last time I looked Heritage Way is public highway. How can the club dictate to local taxi firms? And what about those who use the old Tavners, they usually park 'on street'?

The club just don't care after the game. There was a situation last yr where the parking on the grass behind the long stand was a nightmare. Resulting in cars been blocked in after the stewards had directed cars to park in blocks of three. Absolute chaos after the match. Not one steward to be seen.

Edited by Rab C, 30 December 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#59 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

ambulance attempting to get to the ground and,

the driver first tried to get into the small car park left of the cricket club as i were trying to exit and was hastly told to try the 'more appropriate' main drive to the stadium'! anybody know the reason for the emergency call out?

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#60 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

the driver first tried to get into the small car park left of the cricket club as i were trying to exit and was hastly told to try the 'more appropriate' main drive to the stadium'! anybody know the reason for the emergency call out?

BSJ finally won a half time draw ? :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users