Worst away attendance ever?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-20700529

This puts ###### away support from expansion (and some heartlands sides) into context.

Serie A side Udinese had one single away fan for their game in Genoa.

Okay fair enough it's mid week fixture and it's a long drive but even so it is surprising.

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Bravo!

I think the worst(*) away support I can remember was in an FA Cup qualifying tie between Chesham United and Chalfont St Peter on a Saturday afternoon where CSP brought 2 fans with them.

CSP to Chesham is 7 miles.

I've been in a group of a few that's been the only away support quite a few times though. It's an interesting experience.

(* relatively speaking. I've been to a fair few games in a fair few sports that had no away fans at all).
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

A bloke I know had, up to this season, for several years organised the away bus for Bradford Park Avenue in the Northern Premier :League. For each game there is a 50-seater bus on which the team and coaching staff also travel. It therefore seems reasonable to infer that fewer than 100 fans would regularly travel to away games to follow a successful team in a decent competition.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Damn it, he's beaten me and our kid's long standing record of being the only the two Hull supporters at an away game, Blackpool Borough some time in the mid 70s.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#5 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

I remember going to Runcorn Highfield v Oldham, at Canal Street, where there didn't appear to be any home fans.

#6 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Damn it, he's beaten me and our kid's long standing record of being the only the two Hull supporters at an away game, Blackpool Borough some time in the mid 70s.

Should have left "our kid" at home.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#7 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,237 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

I remember going to Runcorn Highfield v Oldham, at Canal Street, where there didn't appear to be any home fans.

Was that when we spotted John Cogger?

Back on subject, I think it's a lovely story! Really made me smile for some reason.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I heard about this on the radio, great stuff!

One of my favourite football attendance facts concerns the South Midlands Division One game between Tokyngton Manor and Buckingham Athletic in 2008/09. Not the most popular side around, with an average of 10 for the season. For this match the crowd was one!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#9 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Funny thing is, I scroll down the football results on a Sunday morning, and I try to find the lowest attendance for the published results, & after the Conference I start to think that I've played amateur RL in front of more than that.

Saw the Udinese fan on line, great to think he was the only one celebrating a win that night in the stadium apart from the staff.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#10 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

I travelled to Bradford twenty odd years ago with our mutual friend Dukey. We decided to avoid the usual packed pubs, Woodman, Tophouse, etc, and chose a boozer a few miles from Odsal down some country road. Very pleasant too, it was, nice quiet pub with no RL fans of either pursuasion in.

With about half an hour to kick off, we drove to the ground amazed how easy it was to get parked. Then after a brief walk to the ground, we spotted the sign..."Bradford v Hull-postponed due to frozen pitch."

The game had apparently been called off three hours earlier. Not only were we the only two Hull fans there, we were the only two f***ing RL fans there.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#11 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Back in the 80s there was a Kent Invicta v Huddersfield match that attracted 83 paying customers. I can't imagine that there were many away fans at that one.

That's me.  I'm done.

#12 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Back in the 80s there was a Kent Invicta v Huddersfield match that attracted 83 paying customers. I can't imagine that there were many away fans at that one.

It was Southend v. Huddersfield.

My family and I were the 3.

#13 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Or home ones for that matter
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#14 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I went to a London Skolars match in York (I think) a few years back and I'm pretty sure me and the missus were the only Skolars fans that were there.

We got a lift on the team bus all the way back to London!

That's me.  I'm done.

#15 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Should have left "our kid" at home.

Tried that the year before. There were another three or four on the train that time.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#16 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

I travelled to Bradford twenty odd years ago with our mutual friend Dukey. We decided to avoid the usual packed pubs, Woodman, Tophouse, etc, and chose a boozer a few miles from Odsal down some country road. Very pleasant too, it was, nice quiet pub with no RL fans of either pursuasion in.

With about half an hour to kick off, we drove to the ground amazed how easy it was to get parked. Then after a brief walk to the ground, we spotted the sign..."Bradford v Hull-postponed due to frozen pitch."

The game had apparently been called off three hours earlier. Not only were we the only two Hull fans there, we were the only two f***ing RL fans there.

I can vouch for two more. Me and my mate were sitting in the Craven Heifer, also blissfully unaware that the game was off and wondering where everybody was.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I did that for Cumbria vs Cumbrian amateurs at Derwent Park some years ago. It was called off due to crappy weather (in Cumbria, who'd have thought it). I was the only one who turned up AFAIK. There wasn't even a sign.

Edited by Northern Sol, 14 December 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Ha! I once went to a Mansfield v Featherstone game which felt the same. I walked around the ground twice and everyone seemed to have come down from Fev and Mansfield scored to complete silence. Crowd was about 700 so there must have been someone from Mansfield there I guess.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#19 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Me and Mrs Rhino have been the only two "London" supporters at a Catalans game at the Stade Aimé Giral. We just happened to be on holiday in the area so I guess the travelling support was zero.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#20 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Was that when we spotted John Cogger?

I guess it must have been. Lord knows what he did to attract the coach's eye; I recall we were pretty much camped out on their tryline, and I got a bit bored, which is when I started playing 'Where's Wally?' in search of a home fan.

I looked up Cogg's stats .. he only played two seasons for us? Seemed like more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users