Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The best/your favourite acoustic songs

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

glory halleuah by frank turner

christmas time in washington by steve earle

we have fed you for a thousnad years by utah phillips

3 class songs
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,481 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

I've never been a purist when it comes to acoustic music, and it seems a bit silly to exclude electric instruments from a performance just because of the nature of the song.

One band I've followed for four decades is Jethro Tull, and, although they are a undoubtedly a rock band, a substantial proportion of their music centres around the acoustic guitar, mandolin and flute playing of front man, Ian Anderson. Even for what are basically acoustic songs, there are still four other rock musicians in the band who are going to make their contribution. If it's subtle then it's not really noticeable; if it's anything but subtle then the contrast can add to the drama; either way it's the overall result that matters.

By way of example, Mother Goose/Jack-a-Lynn (Istanbul, 1991):

If that's not 'pure' enough, I'll nominate Life's a Long Song:
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

What counts an acoustic song? i went to a performance of Handel's "Messiah" on Saturday night - no mikes, just choir, orchestra and soloists. Does that count?

That's not a song, it's an Oratorio. HTH ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:07 AM

Enjoy! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I have surprised a few people by playing them Zeppelins acoustic stuff, they have a very different image of them.

Battle of Evermore is class and I would throw in there Gallows Pole, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Tangerine.

You haven't mentioned their best accoustic song - Going to California. A shocking omission IMO. I'd throw That's The Way in there as well.

As for best accoustic song ever, Wish You Were Here must be a contender as must Yesterday.

Personal faves include A Better Man (Thunder), Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) and Patience (GnR).

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#26 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

You haven't mentioned their best accoustic song - Going to California. A shocking omission IMO. I'd throw That's The Way in there as well.

As for best accoustic song ever, Wish You Were Here must be a contender as must Yesterday.

Personal faves include A Better Man (Thunder), Nothing Else Matters (Metallica) and Patience (GnR).

Nothing Else Matters is played on an electric guitar (James plays it clean for the alpeggio bits). I love playing it on my acoustic though.

It may be a bit uncool, but I also like More Than Words by Extreme.

Fides invicta triumphat

#27 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

Nothing Else Matters is played on an electric guitar (James plays it clean for the alpeggio bits). I love playing it on my acoustic though.

The "elevator version" on the B-side of Sad But True is totally acoustic and much better than the original version IMO.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#28 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

The "elevator version" on the B-side of Sad But True is totally acoustic and much better than the original version IMO.

Cheers. I'll have to track that one down.
Fides invicta triumphat

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Something very 'old school' - Alvin 'Youngblood' Hart singing Tallacatcha. And that looks like Bobby Valentino playing violin, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQyh3VdIfE

Edited by Futtocks, 29 December 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#30 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

not strictly accoustic but totally brilliant.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Great night tonight down the Bradford Irish Club. Bit of folk, bit of cajun, bit of blues ... guitar, piano, accordian, trombone, double bass, harmonica, piano, mandolin all played at various stages of a regular open night. It's amazing how talented some "ordinary people" are.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users