Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another mess at academy level thanks to the clubs and RFL

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Who did anyone ever think would be in this proposed u20 comp??

There were just six clubs in the u23 comp in 2012, and IIRC just Fev, Sheff and South Wales who ran u18s.

So which of the other Championship clubs would now decide in this economic climate that, with the benefit of SL cast-offs to bolster their first XVII that they will now launch an u20 side having not had an u18 or u23 (Or any level) the year before?

Crazy.

A Fev Blog

#62 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Sorry just for clarity I haven't heard the U20 will be scrapped but I'm making an educated guess based on the 2 strongest sides opting out.

#63 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Sorry just for clarity I haven't heard the U20 will be scrapped but I'm making an educated guess based on the 2 strongest sides opting out.

It's a fairly logical assumption to make. Where did you hear about Fev & Sheff being in the u19s?

A Fev Blog

#64 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

Post before mine if that's reliable

#65 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Looks like Oldham, Leigh, York, Halifax, Keighley and Hunslet had a mini U18 league last year so presumably they're the basis of the proposed U20 league? Though that is to have 12 games. I don't see the point of taking players from amateur clubs for just 12 games, should be all season or nothing IMO.

#66 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Looks like Oldham, Leigh, York, Halifax, Keighley and Hunslet had a mini U18 league last year so presumably they're the basis of the proposed U20 league? Though that is to have 12 games. I don't see the point of taking players from amateur clubs for just 12 games, should be all season or nothing IMO.

Bowes, have a read of Drayl Powell talking here. It now appears that Fev & Sheff will be allowed to play all the players we've signed for our U23 squad in certain fixtures of this new u20 league.

http://www.pontefrac...tures-1-5240977

It sounds c rap.

Instead of starting up a brand new u20 league, which will have to be reformed anyway when the (SL) clubs realise that the two stage junior development programme of u16 and u19 won't work, why not just cajole a few more Championship clubs into restarting their disbanded u23 sides now that most clubs will have an influx of new loanees and therefore bigger squads?

A Fev Blog

#67 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I can't imagine Sheffield will run U19, U20 and Sheffield Hallam in Conference South but makes sense Featherstone have U19 and U20?

#68 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

I can't imagine Sheffield will run U19, U20 and Sheffield Hallam in Conference South but makes sense Featherstone have U19 and U20?

Not sure. The whole thing is crying out for a system where everyone (SL and all the championship clubs that want to) is running u16 u18 and u21 (with 2/3 overage players).

A Fev Blog

#69 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I think the Championship U20 proposal is merely a plan of treading water til the NCL can be talked into dual registration of Championship players.

#70 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think the Championship U20 proposal is merely a plan of treading water til the NCL can be talked into dual registration of Championship players.

Possibly. This only goes to show how ad hoc, cobbled together and badly thought out the whole system is. What's the point of getting this u20 league up and running at all?

If there is any future at all in SL clubs copping out by farming out fringe players to CC clubs, then logically the CC clubs will have to follow suit and use NCL clubs. Fev Rovers to Fev Lions being an obvious possible solution, which as you point out is not available for 2013.

A Fev Blog

#71 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Championship U20
Salford
Oldham
Rochdale
Leigh
Featherstone
Halifax
Keighley
York
Hemel
South Wales

Interestingly the presence of teams from Hemel and South Wales means its likely that the Conference League South will only have 7 teams although it's plausible there'll be a south Wales team there as well

#72 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Championship U20
Salford
Oldham
Rochdale
Leigh
Featherstone
Halifax
Keighley
York
Hemel
South Wales

Interestingly the presence of teams from Hemel and South Wales means its likely that the Conference League South will only have 7 teams although it's plausible there'll be a south Wales team there as well

No Sheffield?

#73 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Championship U20
Salford
Oldham
Rochdale
Leigh
Featherstone
Halifax
Keighley
York
Hemel
South Wales

So the hemel and SW teams are open age? OR they were going to run an u20 side in the Conference?

No Sheffield? Where are they? In the u19s with SL teams?

Are Featherstone doing an u19 side too?

What are Salford doing there?

A Fev Blog

#74 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

So the hemel and SW teams are open age? OR they were going to run an u20 side in the Conference?

fev are doing a 19s
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#75 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

The fixtures were released in the Rugby League press on Monday,and those are the teams named in the fixtures.

But due to clubs commiting to feature within a different number of fixtures the league table will be decided upon a percentage basis depending on games played starts on March 2nd.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#76 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sheffield are running U19 and Sheffield Hallam in the Conference League South. Salford aren't running U19 so are allowed in for some reason. Featherstone are running U19 and U20

Hemel and South Wales are U20 but effectively the same players that would have played Conference South. London Skolars are the other club running an A team in Conference South.

Keighley, Halifax, Leigh and Featherstone want to run the games between themselves on an U23 basis so guess Hemel and South Wales could run higher age groups if they wanted.

#77 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Sheffield are running U19 and Sheffield Hallam in the Conference League South. Salford aren't running U19 so are allowed in for some reason. Featherstone are running U19 and U20

Hemel and South Wales are U20 but effectively the same players that would have played Conference South. London Skolars are the other club running an A team in Conference South.

Keighley, Halifax, Leigh and Featherstone want to run the games between themselves on an U23 basis so guess Hemel and South Wales could run higher age groups if they wanted.

Well, that's one solution I suppose. Far from ideal for Fev, but that's their choice I suppose. I imagine we'll be hoping to field an u23 line up in the u20s as often as possible. It's a mess all round really.

A Fev Blog

#78 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,037 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yeah the RFL's preference was for one academy league at U19 based around regional sides. Presumably an elite comp and a development one. They wanted fringe Championship and Championship 1 players to play NCL or Conference League South to strengthen those leagues. As it was the NCL don't allow professionals (the clubs may or may not vote to change this in the future) and the most radical part of the proposal (merged sides) got dropped. This club emphasis is presumably why the Championship clubs then needed something as well as the lack of dual registration