Photo
- - - - -

When are the fans going to take responsibility?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I would love to see GB back, but seriously, what is the point and where is the credibility if all the players are English.

Let's keep expanding the game (and I mean bottom up expansion, not necessarily top down) and we'll have a proper GB team for the next generation.

Spot on.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#182 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Lions tours work for RU

#183 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Lions tours work for RU

Each of the nations contributes high quality players, the same can't be said of Rugby League.

#184 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Each of the nations contributes high quality players, the same can't be said of Rugby League.

Exactly. Not sure why some RL fans refuse to acknowledge this. GB tours comprised of all nations? Yes please. England posing as GB? Call it England.

#185 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Have you no faith that our expansion will pay dividends, in 4 years we may be seeing Wires Welsh lads representing GB, they did so at Academy level.

#186 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Have you no faith that our expansion will pay dividends, in 4 years we may be seeing Wires Welsh lads representing GB, they did so at Academy level.

True ,we may,then again,we may not.What about Scotland and Ireland?

#187 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

True ,we may,then again,we may not.What about Scotland and Ireland?

There was a couple of lads from the Scottish competition who were signed up by a SL club this year. Was it Hull FC?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#188 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

There was a couple of lads from the Scottish competition who were signed up by a SL club this year. Was it Hull FC?

It may have been,but we need more to have a truly representative GB side.

#189 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

Very early days, especially as Scotland is newer to RL than Wales. More will come through, but it'll take a long time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#190 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yes, fair comment, I don't suppose he actually did. I'm just used to hearing how everything was better in the past. :)

Not in the late sixties and early seventies, the game was on its backside. What revived it IMO was the introduction of a new management team at the RFL (David Oxley etc) and the re introduction of two divisions with P&R. The change first became apparent (to me anyway) when Headlingley was full for the 1978 tour decider. The ground was packed and there were literally thousands locked out. The 1982 Invincibles tour was another indicator, the revival of interest in the game on Humberside with Hull and Rovers dominating the cup and league was another, and then the 1982 CC Final replay at Elland Road, when there were so many supporters many of them didn't get in until half time. That's when I thought that the game was on the way back from the 1960's slump.

Edited by Trojan, 21 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#191 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Very early days, especially as Scotland is newer to RL than Wales. More will come through, but it'll take a long time.

True,yet some can't realise that and want a GB team now.

#192 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I'm not sure we'll ever get that, lovely though it would be.

For me, a couple of Welsh Wales players (as opposed to Lancastrian Wales players) would be enough to start GB again. In fact, one person who would make GB stronger than England would be enough.
People called Romans they go the house

#193 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Not in the late sixties and early seventies, the game was on its backside. What revived it IMO was the introduction of a new management team at the RFL (David Oxley etc) and the re introduction of two divisions with P&R. The change first became apparent (to me anyway) when Headlingley was full for the 1978 tour decider. The ground was packed and there were literally thousands locked out. The 1982 Invincibles tour was another indicator, the revival of interest in the game on Humberside with Hull and Rovers dominating the cup and league was another, and then the 1982 CC Final replay at Elland Road, when there were so many supporters many of them didn't get in until half time. That's when I thought that the game was on the way back from the 1960's slump.

I'll bet you any money there were people claiming the game was not as good as it was during all those times.

#194 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'll bet you any money there were people claiming the game was not as good as it was during all those times.

Your're probably right, after all we'd moved from unlimited tackles to 4 then 6 tackles - not popular at the time

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#195 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

It's as I said in an earlier post Johnoco, there isn't one era that can say they have got it completely right. There has been good and bad in each era of the game, young and old fans alike have to accept that somethings in the past were better and some things today are also better.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#196 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

It's as I said in an earlier post Johnoco, there isn't one era that can say they have got it completely right. There has been good and bad in each era of the game, young and old fans alike have to accept that somethings in the past were better and some things today are also better.

I agree completely. There were probably things in the past that were better, and vice versa. What I dislike is slating everything today because....just because.

#197 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

Your're probably right, after all we'd moved from unlimited tackles to 4 then 6 tackles - not popular at the time

Yeah I bet people walked away from the game over that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users