Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

When are the fans going to take responsibility?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Fans have a choice. No one should feel compiled to go to a game.

If the product is good enough people will go. Making sure its good enough is down to the decision makers.

Yeah yeah mate.....its always excuses. Actions speak louder than words and the silence is usually deafening from RL 'fans'. On the other hand, the amount of hot air generated is probably responsible for global warming.

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Where have you got the 7k figure from? At peak of bullmania we were averaging 14.5k. Our lowest average was 2010 when we dipped below 9k, but we're now back up in 11-12k area. Can think of only one game where we dropped down to around 6.5k at height of the poor run under McNamara that would fit your 7k claim but that was a single game 3 yrs ago.

IIRC Bulls got up to an average attendance of 15,500 which at one time dropped to 8,500

7,000 drop but even if it's 6,000 or 5,000 the points the same.

The fans had the power to make or break the club.

But it's correct that nobody has to go to a game.

The problem for Superleague is it creates the same old winners and losers to a point thus polarising attendances.

For Bradford the drop in fans was extraordinary, a more comfortable stadium may have kept more of them.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Fans have a choice. No one should feel compiled to go to a game.

If the product is good enough people will go. Making sure its good enough is down to the decision makers.

Again, I partly agree with this point, but other sports' fans behave differently to ours - why is that?

We'd rather sneer at the Twickers Land Rover brigade on the car park, whilst they get millions of pounds worth of income, and actually get sponsorship deals from companies like Land Rover.

#24 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

When will those who moan about other people moaning stop moaning about them on here? ;)

Never. Moaning about moaning is perhaps even more tedious than the moaning itself.

A Fev Blog

#25 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

IIRC Bulls got up to an average attendance of 15,500 which at one time dropped to 8,500

7,000 drop but even if it's 6,000 or 5,000 the points the same.

The fans had the power to make or break the club.

But it's correct that nobody has to go to a game.

The problem for Superleague is it creates the same old winners and losers to a point thus polarising attendances.

For Bradford the drop in fans was extraordinary, a more comfortable stadium may have kept more of them.

Nice selective use of figures. We never had a 15.5k average. We did drop to 8.5k in 2010 but have since recovered backup to 11-12k levels. Fans stayed away in 2010 in protest at the absolute garbage being out on the field by McNamara. They didn't walk away from the game as they returned the following year. Our current average is only 2-3k lower than our highest average. Certainly not the 7k your stating.

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Never. Moaning about moaning is perhaps even more tedious than the moaning itself.

To be fair, I don't think this thread is a moan about the moaners thread. People can moan all they want, the bigger issue is when this a) affects sponsorship, coverage, perception of our game etc. and B) when fans just don't get behind the things that could make a massive difference for our game.

The international scene is the most important thing IMHO, we all find ourselves complaining about how the test scene is organised, yet often organisers are faced with a very lacklustre audience. I really hope that we see full grounds all over the place for the WC next year, and people show that there is a desire to watch nations like Tonga, Samoa, PNG etc. Early signs are positive, but then I have seen far too many pi$$=poor crowds for tests versus NZ (which pretty much never disappoint on the field) to get too carried away.

#27 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nice selective use of figures. We never had a 15.5k average.

"seasons in the sun" Tony Hannan. Bradford Bulls 2000 average crowd 15,350.

Gillette yearbook 2010 - 2011 Tim Butcher Bradford Bulls average crowd 8,436

Take it up with the publishers Matt.

heavy discounted season tickets got fans back.

So it's fair enough to say the fans contributed to the clubs troubles, but no blame can be attached to them it's a free country.

#28 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

To be fair, I don't think this thread is a moan about the moaners thread. People can moan all they want, the bigger issue is when this a) affects sponsorship, coverage, perception of our game etc. and B) when fans just don't get behind the things that could make a massive difference for our game.

The international scene is the most important thing IMHO, we all find ourselves complaining about how the test scene is organised, yet often organisers are faced with a very lacklustre audience. I really hope that we see full grounds all over the place for the WC next year, and people show that there is a desire to watch nations like Tonga, Samoa, PNG etc. Early signs are positive, but then I have seen far too many pi$$=poor crowds for tests versus NZ (which pretty much never disappoint on the field) to get too carried away.

Yes. Chicken and egg though, isn't it? People don't go to internationals because it's all a bit low-key, whereas if you get a good crowd there......

I do think we're all a bit guilty on here of overestimating how much impact this (and other) forums have in terms of getting bums on seats/putting people off going to games.

A Fev Blog

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yes. Chicken and egg though, isn't it? People don't go to internationals because it's all a bit low-key, whereas if you get a good crowd there......

I do think we're all a bit guilty on here of overestimating how much impact this (and other) forums have in terms of getting bums on seats/putting people off going to games.

It is, it's why I'm really hoping the World Cup can change people's perceptions of International RL. Sometimes we can get too bogged down with the politics and rules etc. and we forget to just bloody enjoy the game!
I went over to Oz in 2008 for the last WC and loved it. I also can't wait for games like NZ v Samoa, Eng v Aus, Scotland v Tonga, Ireland v Australia next year.

On your last point, I agree, but then my experience is pretty negative out in the real world. I moved to Edinburgh 3 years ago, and the difference in attitude when there is a major RU international in town was a massive eye-opener for me.

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

It is, it's why I'm really hoping the World Cup can change people's perceptions of International RL. Sometimes we can get too bogged down with the politics and rules etc. and we forget to just bloody enjoy the game!
I went over to Oz in 2008 for the last WC and loved it. I also can't wait for games like NZ v Samoa, Eng v Aus, Scotland v Tonga, Ireland v Australia next year.

Amen to that. It's a great chance to showcase the sport.

A Fev Blog

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

On your last point, I agree, but then my experience is pretty negative out in the real world. I moved to Edinburgh 3 years ago, and the difference in attitude when there is a major RU international in town was a massive eye-opener for me.

Its quite amazing that this should come as I ended up watching Fijii V France from the 2008 WC on u tube quite by chance earlier today. The atmosphere was amazing and the crowd fenzied. The Fijian flag was everywhere in the stands. I too have great hopes for this next WC and will definitely be at the Fiji v Ireland game at Rochdale. The RU autumn internationals should be on at the same time and, if we get tererestrial coverage, should be a great showcase of the superiority of our game as a spectacle over the dross of the penalty kick competition.

I hope the weather co operates because, for all its other faults, the 2000 WC was severly affected by the worst November for a long long time. I was at the last four nations competition and quite caught the international bug. Wembley wsas great and we could so nearly have beaten the Aussies. A packed and roaring KC stadium for the win over the Kiwis was awesome and I even had a great day at Wrexham for the low key Wales v Australia gamde which Wales were winning 2 tries to one just before half time before the wheels fell off. The final at Elland Road was a disapppointment but the crowd was encouraging. Yes I am looking forwad to the next RWC.

#32 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

The 'fan's make lots of stupid decisions.

Like not attending games because its too expensive/too cheap/we'll definitely win/we'll definitely lose/its the cats birthday/I have the right not to attend/I hate the RFL but they were ok in the past.

Yada yada....

Then come on the internet to blame everyone else for their own apathy.

When you're living on the breadline, and you've got kids, it's not a stuid decision to say you can't afford to go to the games because they are too expensive.

Not everyone can afford to go in the current climate can they?

No one has ever complained the game was too cheap, or the cats birthday, or for that matter "yada yada yada". Your post is the usual nonsense directed at decent customers.

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,318 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

No, they can't, that is true. And not every fan has RL as the top priority. Equally we should not exclude the 100,000 or more people who watch SL games on Sky. For me this is the big one:I hate the RFL but they were ok in the past.

#34 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

No, they can't, that is true. And not every fan has RL as the top priority. Equally we should not exclude the 100,000 or more people who watch SL games on Sky. For me this is the big one:I hate the RFL but they were ok in the past.

But I would suggest the amount of people not turning up for games to see their club due to this reason is absolutely minimal.

#35 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

When you're living on the breadline, and you've got kids, it's not a stuid decision to say you can't afford to go to the games because they are too expensive.

No one has ever complained the game was too cheap, or the cats birthday, or for that matter "yada yada yada". Your post is the usual nonsense directed at decent customers.

Decent customers? I'd look elsewhere if it was my business.

So....all these football fans are living in a different country or are all millionaires are they? Strange that Bradford City had a full stadium for their cup game the other night in my city, and there aren't too many well off people here these days I can assure you of that.

Fact is, apathy rules amongst most RL fans. They would be world champs at excuses though.

#36 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

If the product isn't good enough your not going to buy it
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#37 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I don't have RL as my top priority by any stretch. But if there's a game on, and I am free then I'm in. I can't always go or even maybe want to but the buck stops there. It's not the RFL at fault or anyone else.

#38 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

If the product isn't good enough your not going to buy it

You don't think Rugby League is good?

#39 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Why do you think people think that about the RFL now but didn't in the past?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#40 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

if the rfl want unconditional love, i suggest they buy a dog.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image