Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

When are the fans going to take responsibility?

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yeah yeah mate.....its always excuses. Actions speak louder than words and the silence is usually deafening from RL 'fans'. On the other hand, the amount of hot air generated is probably responsible for global warming.

Look over there, trees, wood................never mind you wouldn't be able to see them.

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Look over there, trees, wood................never mind you wouldn't be able to see them.

I would do mate but I couldn't be bothered. Why don't the RFL look for me? Typical shambles as usual, I'm never looking at any RFL related trees again.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#43 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

If only RL fans could get as passionate about the actual on field game as they do when someone points out how apathetic they can be, we'd be a hell of a lot better off.

#44 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

You don't think Rugby League is good?

I probably take in far more games (all standards) in a 12 month period than you do, I've lost a couple of very pretty girlfriends and a wife because of Rugby League. Do I have to say anymore.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#45 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

yeah but if we had GB and P&R and if we still played in winter and shunned sky money.....everything would be rosie.......

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#46 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

I probably take in far more games (all standards) in a 12 month period than you do, I've lost a couple of very pretty girlfriends and a wife because of Rugby League. Do I have to say anymore.

It's not a competition mate, I aren't the #1 RL fan in the world by any means. But I do like it and wouldn't question it's value as an entertaining 'product', which is what you seemed to be doing.

#47 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

If only RL fans could get as passionate about the actual on field game as they do when someone points out how apathetic they can be, we'd be a hell of a lot better off.

I go to as many Keighley as i can.

I also go to the grand final and as many England games as i can.

I am still able of having a point of view. Sorry its not the same as yours.

Maybe i will stop going to games. Then i may just fit into your view, of a fan who doesn't think the game is wonderful.

#48 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I go to as many Keighley as i can.

I also go to the grand final and as many England games as i can.

I am still able of having a point of view. Sorry its not the same as yours.

Maybe i will stop going to games. Then i may just fit into your view, of a fan who doesn't think the game is wonderful.

Eh? Where have I said the game is wonderful? Where have I claimed to be Mr RL who goes to more games than anyone else?

The fact is RL fans have a long history of not backing the big events, not always but usually. I wish this wasn't the case but it is.

#49 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

The fact is RL fans have a long history of not backing the big events, not always but usually. I wish this wasn't the case but it is.

Including yourself presumably?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#50 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

It's not a competition mate, I aren't the #1 RL fan in the world by any means. But I do like it and wouldn't question it's value as an entertaining 'product', which is what you seemed to be doing.

The product at it's best is the best but the game at the top IMO has become far too stereotyped on to many occasions, I remember an interview with Chris Anderson when he was the coach for Austrailia (2001) the guy interviewing him was creaming himself about how Austrailia had played and asked why we couldn't catch up, Anderson reply was something like this, " We only played a British style game from the 80's" This got me thinking is all this battery farmed coaching good for our game.

#51 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Eh? Where have I said the game is wonderful? Where have I claimed to be Mr RL who goes to more games than anyone else?

Maybe the average Rugby League fan is more tribal.

#52 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,856 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Why do you think people think that about the RFL now but didn't in the past?

Too much free time? Actually, if you want to hear really miserable fans, just listen to Radio Five Live 606 soccer phone in!

Seriously, I think that in the past, some always thought that, but as the running of the game has improved in recent years, the numbers feeling that way have been reducing.

The advent of forums like this, Twitter, etc has also made it easier to spread doom and gloom, too.

From Ecclesiastes Ch 7 Verse 12
Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.

For some, the glass is half full, for some it is half empty and for yet others, it is completely empty, has a hole in the bottom, but in any case the beer was flat..if there were any.

For me it is a glass full of foaming pleasure.

Edited by JohnM, 16 December 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

No. The distinction being I go.

#54 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Maybe the average Rugby League fan is more tribal.

And football fans aren't? Even so, what about club events like semi finals? They never sell out even with teams that have decent crowds.

#55 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

No. The distinction being I go.

So how many of the international matches recently did you attend?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#56 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

So how many of the international matches recently did you attend?

The final. Why?

#57 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Too much free time? Actually, if you want to hear really miserable fans, just listen to Radio Five Live 606 soccer phone in!

Seriously, I think that in the past, some always thought that, but as the running of the game has improved in recent years, the numbers feeling that way have been reducing.

The advent of forums like this, Twitter, etc has also made it easier to spread doom and gloom, too.

From Ecclesiastes Ch 7 Verse 12
Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.

For some, the glass is half full, for some it is half empty and for yet others, it is completely empty, has a hole in the bottom, but in any case the beer was flat..if there were any.

For me it is a glass full of foaming pleasure.

I'd sooner have the 24 case of lager than 1 bottle of good wine.

#58 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,767 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

And football fans aren't? Even so, what about club events like semi finals? They never sell out even with teams that have decent crowds.

This goes back to another statement I've made, we need more TV coverage, look how union has boomed, everywhere you look and at just about any time during the day/week on TV you see Union, from a 7's competition played by 2nd rate union players to the Welsh speaking channel on sky.

#59 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well then your comment about the product not being good is pointless
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#60 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

I don't think he was saying that no RL fans turn up to the Internationals, but the majority don't
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users