TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

South London Storm no more...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

Apparently!

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Sad day if so.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Sad news but not a surprise after what Roy Haggerty posted elsewhere Is this completely gone or merged with West London?

#4 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Seemingly it's a merger with a club with no players.

#5 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

I hope the junior development can be saved at Croydon Hurricanes.

Any idea what the new merged club is called? I know they're looking at playing at Clapham Common.

#6 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Really sad news if true. I always remember that when getting into amateur rugby league here in 'down south' land, South London Storm was the team that led the way in most things. In fact they were always talked about as the club to emulate if you wanted to get on.
The Storm and West London Sharks both seemed to falter when they left their 'big union club' set up and 'downsized'. Hopefully a new club will start up from the joining of these two clubs.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Let's hope it's a one off and the rest of the London teams are still going strong. As someone already mentioned are their junior satellite teams like Croyden and Brixton also gone or are they now seperate entities and still around. ?

#8 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

It just shows how fragile rugby league is as a sport, and it's not just in London either.

We have to acknowledge this it is a tough sport, and there are many other options available to young lads. Both in sports and outside.

At amateur level, even the best run clubs can suffer terminal decline with the loss of one or two key individuals, or an incorrect decision (which may have seemed correct at the time, don't we all love hindsight).

My club was a whisker from folding a year ago. We hung in and are much better now, but I would say we are a long, long way from being safe.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Very sad news this. My glorious rugby league career of 1 match was spent entirely with South London II.

Rugby league in London could do with some good news.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 Tusbab

Tusbab
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The apparent demise of South London Storm raises several important questions..

1, How did an amateur club in clear terminal decline over the past few yearfs manage to attract £250,000 of funding from the RL Facilities Trust? In relative terms this loss of money to the sport is probably greater than the £600,000 lost on Crusaders.

2. What effect will the posssible loss of Community Rugby League Coach positions in South London after March 31 have on Croydon Hurricanes?

3. What has been the role of Giovanni Cinque in all of this?

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

700k but you are right. This blunder is even worse.

#12 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

Okay, as a founder of Storm it's a very sad day, if true. The guys who've attempted to keep the club afloat the past two years have done a sterling jofb in unforgiving circumstances. There's no criticism of them from me. An earlier poster made mention of a former club administrator; where is he, and can he provide us with a copy of the club accounts?

Have more to say on RL in this part of the world, but too late tonight to do so! Suffice to say that RL WILL re-emerge in Croydon next season.

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Okay, as a founder of Storm it's a very sad day, if true. The guys who've attempted to keep the club afloat the past two years have done a sterling jofb in unforgiving circumstances. There's no criticism of them from me. An earlier poster made mention of a former club administrator; where is he, and can he provide us with a copy of the club accounts?

Have more to say on RL in this part of the world, but too late tonight to do so! Suffice to say that RL WILL re-emerge in Croydon next season.

Good.

#14 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

What happened to the 250K?

Did a union club get the long term benefit? :o

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

What happened to the 250K?

Did a union club get the long term benefit? :o

A school did for a 5-a-side soccer pitch they can rent out

#16 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

just picked this up, dont come on this bit that much anymore..

very sad news, Love South London Storm, loved the time i spent there and all those that were included.. sadly that includes Number 16 to my lasting shame :P

Very fond memories, lasting lifetime friendships etc

very very sad news.. and i'm with N16.. would love to see those accounts after talking to a fair few of the lifelong friends about it in the past few years and about what happened.

Hopefully the schools (including the school the pitch was built in.. mr Cynical bowes hopefully it will still be used for RL in that school.. [i do understand the cynasism though]) and hopefully Harkes and the others still down there can pull something out of this and keep it, like a phoenix, rising.... (Croydon Phoenix?)

#17 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

I'd call the new club Croydon Hurricanes to link them to the juniors

#18 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'd call the new club Croydon Hurricanes to link them to the juniors

yes so would I (actually i would keep South London Storm if they could but thats just me) but the phoenix bit was too obvious not to put in.

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

It just shows how fragile rugby league is as a sport, and it's not just in London either.

We have to acknowledge this it is a tough sport, and there are many other options available to young lads. Both in sports and outside.

At amateur level, even the best run clubs can suffer terminal decline with the loss of one or two key individuals, or an incorrect decision (which may have seemed correct at the time, don't we all love hindsight).

My club was a whisker from folding a year ago. We hung in and are much better now, but I would say we are a long, long way from being safe.

Amateur rugby league is very fragile indeed, this season we've at the most only turned out about 9 to 10 of the players who would be on the best 17 man team sheet, this has been a major problem this season for us, on the up side we've been putting two teams out (except on one occasion) when the first team fixture had to be fulfilled first.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#20 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

yes so would I (actually i would keep South London Storm if they could but thats just me) but the phoenix bit was too obvious not to put in.

I agree. If someone is going to revive rugby league at its spiritual home at Streatham & Croydon RFC and that person also happens to be the original 'Stormlord' himself, then why not keep a much respected name and history alive?

Failing that, then I agree with the other poster who suggested Croydon Hurricanes if there's to be a link with the juniors.

Personally, I think a reconstituted Storm at Frant Rd AND a new club playing on Clapham Common would be a great outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users