Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I think Matty Smith will develop into the best english scrum half in the next few years

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Wigan signing Matty Smith from Salford was an inspired move and whilst some armchair experts questioned this signing I believe he has all the necessary attributes to be the best half in England, he would even be my number one choice right now for England and the world cup.
I've heard some forum members question his speed and ability to take players on. But a lot of good halves lack pace but make up for it with their leadership qualities, kicking game and distribution, I think Matty is a bit similar to Brett Kimberley, he's not the quickest but leads
the team around the park well and his passing game is spot on. I remember when the Kangaroos toured a few years back and everyone was raving about their missing players and how England were favourites. Andrew Johns was missing also but Kimmorley always stepped in and caused us problems. There wasn't anything apparently dangerous about him in terms of comparing him to Johns but he was a pain in the ass for England to play against, a thorn in the side, I think Matty can fill this role for England.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 16 December 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yeah I think he looks good but I haven't really seen him boss it for any great run of games so until that happens my knickers are staying dry.

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

So now he's signed for Wigan, he's the number 1 scrum half?
Posted Image

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Having watched him playing regularly for Salford I would say he's a decent player. Nothing more.

#5 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Myler a lot better IMO

Edited by Hullfan, 16 December 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#6 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Is this a joke or the lowering of standards,Chris Thorman mark 2

#7 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Playing behind one of the weakest packs in SL, Matty still managed to show real talent on occasion. When he went back to Saints for the play-offs, he played behind a decent pack and looked world class ..... until the final. In that final, he looked really average.

To sum up, he has the talent. He can't win games on his own. He needs a decent pack to play off. But he might just get all of that at Wigan and he might develop into a true international. Lot of 'might's there though. I hope he does become a great, for GB's sake.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

and therein lies the problem with smith, he is fa too inconsistent to be an international let alone be classed as a great player, i am made up wigan signed him...............................it allowed mellor to join widnes (now there is a star of the future)
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

He needs a decent pack to play off. But he might just get all of that at Wigan and he might develop into a true international. Lot of 'might's there though. I hope he does become a great, for GB's sake.

Interesting times for Wigan, having to replace Finch and Leuluai. But it does look like the 2013 pack will be pretty good (barring injuries).

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Too early to tell how Smith will turn out.
Leuluai was exceptional but one thing that Smith can bring that Tommy didn't have and that's a kicking game.
Wigan's pack next season will be massive. Prescott, Mossop, Dudson, Taylor, Hock, Crosby and Gelling are all 6'3" or above.
There is plenty skill, power and pace in the forwards and if they can get on the front foot both half backs, Green and Smith, could do very well indeed.
Like all Rugby games, the fortunes of the half backs will be determined by the forwards.
In that regard Wigan are very well fixed.

#11 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'm glad Smith didn't rejoin Saints, too limited to ever be a really top class half back. He has poor pace for a half and rarely beats a man. His biggest strenght is his kicking but thats erratic. When on form his kicking is great but all too often that goes to pot, especially if put under pressure - a poor mans Lee Briers.

I've no doubt he will have a few good games for Wigan and pies wiill be claiming he's world class, but he's a long way off that. I think it was a panic buy from Wigan and one they'll regret in the long run. I can't even see him being their number one scrum half in a few years time, let alone Englands number 7.

#12 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

You are very perceptive.

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

At Wigan, but I think he'll lose his place to one of the younger lads.

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

He looks ok. Nothing special, but will be effective in our systems.
Won't ever play for England. Even Myler is better.

#15 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

He's not the worst scrum-half out there, but certainly won't develop into the best we have. Just lacks the crucial 'special' something that is needed to be a top quality halfback. He's functional, which is probably the best compliment I can give him. Wigan will be in the market for a big name 7 for 2014, mark my words.

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

He looks ok. Nothing special, but will be effective in our systems.
Won't ever play for England. Even Myler is better.

What a beautiful post, such honesty, best wiganer on here!!

#17 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Smith does illustrate an interestng point. Wigan could sign Hardaker, say, but while he is a far better player than Smith, Smith is worth more to us because his ability to stick to a passing plan and kick effectively makes him a decent Deacon replacement. We have runners galore and plenty of big lads - they need to be pointed in the right direction.
If you contrast that with Saints, say, they looked to this observer to have 2 very conspicuous weaknesses. Their back 5 were no threat in attack, and they need decent props. They look to have tried to remedy the first, but signing Manu just adds depth to a deep pool of second rowers. It's all about team building.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Smith is a very astute signing for Wigan,as EW and others have stated Wigan have a good pack next season and need someone to get them around the field.he may not be flashy but he will stick to the gameplan and does the basics well.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#19 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Smith does illustrate an interestng point. Wigan could sign Hardaker, say, but while he is a far better player than Smith, Smith is worth more to us because his ability to stick to a passing plan and kick effectively makes him a decent Deacon replacement. We have runners galore and plenty of big lads - they need to be pointed in the right direction.
If you contrast that with Saints, say, they looked to this observer to have 2 very conspicuous weaknesses. Their back 5 were no threat in attack, and they need decent props. They look to have tried to remedy the first, but signing Manu just adds depth to a deep pool of second rowers. It's all about team building.

I always thought it daft of Saints to let Smith go as he is the kind of half back every team needs, not flash but someone who can work a team around a football field. I know Long really wanted to keep him at Salford, and whilst you might question Long's judgment on many things in life, I would back him to know a good half back when he sees one.

Saints are desperately short of biff in the pack, have been for a while and for some reason haven't really done anything to rectify it. The young signing from Batley looks a good prospect but we need more like him. What's the old saying about props winning pots?

I sincerely hope that Gaskell is played more this season, he has a very good footballing brain and can work the team around the field, and went alright with Lomax in 2010. The latter is not really a scrum half and his distribution to the right is very limited, one of the reasons Shenton never really shone with the club, and as for Hohaia, a Chairman's pick with 3 more years to go and no-one knows where to play him.

Of the big four, I would say Saints currently have the most imbalanced and 'overgrown' squad and whilst we can turn anyone over on the day, I see another season without finals football.

Edited by foozler, 18 December 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#20 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

His kicking game at Salford was pretty poor a lot of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users