Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I think Matty Smith will develop into the best english scrum half in the next few years

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

I always thought it daft of Saints to let Smith go as he is the kind of half back every team needs, not flash but someone who can work a team around a football field. I know Long really wanted to keep him at Salford, and whilst you might question Long's judgment on many things in life, I would back him to know a good half back when he sees one.

I'd rather Saints had Gaskell than Smith. He has more pace, and a better passing & kicking game. Gaskells real weakness currently is his lack of physicality. He can't yet ride the tackles and dominate the centre ground and it also leads to a few missed 1 on 1 tackles, but this is something that can be worked on over the next few years.
Both Symmons & Rush showed poor judgement and a lack of balls to play Gaskell over an underperforming and incapable Hohia last year. I just hope Brown can see the long term future lies in having a half back like Gaskell that compliments Lomax and lets him concentrate on playing his natural running game.

#22 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

If you look at him as Deacon's replacement one year late it's pretty good - younger, better tackler, not on mega money, not as good at goal kicking but Wigan didn't use Deacs for that. Slotted in pretty well last season, his perceived success will probably initially depend on how well Green goes.

What worries me about Wigan is the lack of cover at 6,7 and 9 - just young unproven lads, with the unsatisfactory further option of Lockers at 6, assuming Sam stays at 1 permanently.

#23 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

There appears a lack of cover at 6, 7 & 9 but that will mainly be provided by Sam Powell.
Interesting that a lad with just one first team game is part of the leadership group.
Should Mic Mac need an interchage then Smith will go to 9 and Powell to 7. If Green's out then Sam P will go to 6.
If Wigan cop a couple of injuries it wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see them use Hampshire or Williams.
Two very highly rated youngsters who may get the odd first team game.
Very young but Hampshire has pace to burn.

#24 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

There appears a lack of cover at 6, 7 & 9 but that will mainly be provided by Sam Powell.
Interesting that a lad with just one first team game is part of the leadership group.
Should Mic Mac need an interchage then Smith will go to 9 and Powell to 7. If Green's out then Sam P will go to 6.
If Wigan cop a couple of injuries it wouldn't surprise me to perhaps see them use Hampshire or Williams.
Two very highly rated youngsters who may get the odd first team game.
Very young but Hampshire has pace to burn.

I didn't realise Powell was in the leadership team!

#25 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

At Wigan, but I think he'll lose his place to one of the younger lads.

If all goes well he's a stop gap in the halves, who will ultimately play a role as a replacement hooker with a kicking game in the future. I've seen nothing from him so far to suggest he is Wigan's (never mind England's) answer at scrum half. Happy to be proved wrong though.

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

If all goes well he's a stop gap in the halves, who will ultimately play a role as a replacement hooker with a kicking game in the future. I've seen nothing from him so far to suggest he is Wigan's (never mind England's) answer at scrum half. Happy to be proved wrong though.

I've seen your young halves play the under twenty team and they've got something about them

SPECIAL IMHO

Smith does have a good kicking game and agree he'll b a good stop gap at 9

Best wishes for Xmas gaz

#27 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Best wishes for Xmas gaz

Same to you and your family Paul.

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Most of the comments on here are probably fair but i still think it was a very clever signing by Wigan. Smith still has time too develop, he does IMO have the potential to Englands best all round half. (far too many are great in attack but have no organisation or kicking; Mcguire, Lomax, Chase, Myler ect.) He'll also fit into Wigans system smoothly and will do the job he needs for the star players (Tomkins and Hock ect) too take the headlines and win them games. If he doesn't develop enough in 2 years then I'm sure Wane will have no problem in swapping Powell or Hampshire with him. He's also versatile enough to play hooker which is a bonus.

So not the greatest player in the league by no means but I can see why Wigan signed him.

#29 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Most of the comments on here are probably fair but i still think it was a very clever signing by Wigan. Smith still has time too develop, he does IMO have the potential to Englands best all round half. (far too many are great in attack but have no organisation or kicking; Mcguire, Lomax, Chase, Myler ect.) He'll also fit into Wigans system smoothly and will do the job he needs for the star players (Tomkins and Hock ect) too take the headlines and win them games. If he doesn't develop enough in 2 years then I'm sure Wane will have no problem in swapping Powell or Hampshire with him. He's also versatile enough to play hooker which is a bonus.

So not the greatest player in the league by no means but I can see why Wigan signed him.

Totally agree, we lack organising scrum halves in this country, it's not just about taking people on.

#30 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Rather have Danny Brough at 7 than Smith. Brough has one of the best kicking and passing games in Super League, and can organize the team around him as well.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#31 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Rather have Danny Brough at 7 than Smith. Brough has one of the best kicking and passing games in Super League, and can organize the team around him as well.

Brough = devastating or diabolical, no half measures.
Smith = steady and competent.

Take your pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users