Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Aussies

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Would it be possible to get details of the Number of Aussies "gracing" our game at the moment and, more importantly, the costs of their wages etc.

I'd love to know who pays what for their overseas stars.

#2 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Itd be easy to find out the number of Australians in our game, but wages and that would be fairly difficult.

Cummins Out.

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Not going to happen, is it ?

It'd be a serious breach of confidentiality to start broadcasting players' wages without their permission.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Who has any overseas in our comp these days, unless the RFL indirectly pay for them of course.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Who has any overseas in our comp these days, unless the RFL indirectly pay for them of course.

Anybody smart enough to go out and look for a good deal.

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

Not going to happen, is it ?

It'd be a serious breach of confidentiality to start broadcasting players' wages without their permission.

Thats what I mean, I dont think any club would want to release the figures of what they pay their players, I dont think players would be happy to let that information out eithr.

Cummins Out.

#7 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Thats what I mean, I dont think any club would want to release the figures of what they pay their players, I dont think players would be happy to let that information out eithr.

For a fee, I believe that it would be possible to learn how much a club paid out in salaries, but not individuals, by means of the companies register.

#8 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Short answer would be too many and too much!!

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

For a fee, I believe that it would be possible to learn how much a club paid out in salaries, but not individuals, by means of the companies register.

Not these days. You're not obliged to post that much detail. Most companies post just a balance sheet (a statement of assets and liabilities).

#10 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Whitehaven aren't doing too bad with an Aussie full back, James Cameron and PNG centre Jesse Joe Parker and two more PNG forwards supposedly on their way over as well. Don't think the RFL are paying for them!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#11 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

Like frankj I believe we have too many and we spend to much on them but I simply can't back up that statement with facts. I know I'm probably peeein in the wind on this, but it would be good to know nontheless.

we have a so called sooper league with probably half of its members on their uppers and despite years of Sky funding they can't even afford to fund a decent youth structure. Where has the money gone / going?

#12 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Unless you're signing a real star like QLT, it's pretty poor business for a Championship club to bring over an Antipodean. When you get past paying for travel costs, a house and maybe a car, you're not left with a lot of change from a fiver. Maybe clubs like Whitehaven can afford to sign them given their Sellafield link up and the guarantee of a job, but for the likes of Batley, Swinton, Dewsbury and Hunslet etc., its just not cost effective.

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Unless you're signing a real star like QLT, it's pretty poor business for a Championship club to bring over an Antipodean. When you get past paying for travel costs, a house and maybe a car, you're not left with a lot of change from a fiver. Maybe clubs like Whitehaven can afford to sign them given their Sellafield link up and the guarantee of a job, but for the likes of Batley, Swinton, Dewsbury and Hunslet etc., its just not cost effective.

The link up didn't do Haven much good 2 years ago when they went bust!!!! I don't think the local workforce would let them get away with guaranteeing jobs to players from overseas when there are many locals on the dole. They can do it because the new company have no debts any more but the old company had lots of disappointed creditors, including the local council and their council tax payers. The PNG players are all internationals otherwise they wouldn't be allowed a visa for our league.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Unless you're signing a real star like QLT, it's pretty poor business for a Championship club to bring over an Antipodean. When you get past paying for travel costs, a house and maybe a car, you're not left with a lot of change from a fiver.

A fiver is good business for an overseas player.

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

A fiver is good business for an quality overseas player.

Edited.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

A fiver is good business for an overseas player.

Depends how hard he puches.

#17 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Depends how hard he puches.

Or even punches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users