Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sport England funding cut

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

LINK TO ARTICLE

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,558 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

It's rather alarming that the number of participants has declined from 82,000 to 44,000. Any particular reason for this? Is this the transitional period from winter to summer?
Posted Image

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

It's rather alarming that the number of participants has declined from 82,000 to 44,000. Any particular reason for this? Is this the transitional period from winter to summer?

Discussed at immense length a while back - a lot of sports have seen a major decline in official number, due to a change in what constitutes 'regular' participation. Actual numbers will not have changed by that amount, and may have, in fact, increased.

Edited by Futtocks, 17 December 2012 - 12:40 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

The total pot available to all sports is being cut over the next few years, with very few sports seeing an increase.

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

Would love to see a breakdown of where the lost 38,000 have gone.

Would have thought with the rise of womens, masters and touch rugby participation figures would be looking good - obviously not!

Edit - sorry had missed Futtocks post #3

Edited by shrek, 17 December 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I think only three sports have had an increase - Cycling, Triathlon and one other.

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,143 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

Is this an old story as I seem to recall this already having been announced, or was that something different?

The numbers must be due to changes in how they are made up, as quite simply if the numbers have almost halved in 3-4 years then surely they would have just given no money at all!

#8 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I think only three sports have had an increase - Cycling, Triathlon and one other.

Not seen the full list yet, but handball is up significantly to £1.15m. :D
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#9 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Is this an old story as I seem to recall this already having been announced, or was that something different?

The numbers must be due to changes in how they are made up, as quite simply if the numbers have almost halved in 3-4 years then surely they would have just given no money at all!

I beleive it is an old story that has been updated since SE made a press release to with allocating 500k to sport participation in general. This is a relatively new initiative to get more people involved in playing sport regularly, this would seem to be part of that. The 88k was probably incorrect I seem to recall the RFL giving SE revised figures which are used as part of the data in the EPS that get published.

Edited by dhw, 17 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#10 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

'Olympic legacy...'.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#11 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Still, RL will be receiving £17.5 million of funding over 4 years.

That's pretty impressive whichever way you look at it.

Considering the size of RL compared to RU and Football, we are doing pretty will and fighting well above our weight - Union is getting £20 million, Football is getting £30 million.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Considering the size of RL compared to RU and Football, we are doing pretty will and fighting well above our weight - Union is getting £20 million, Football is getting £30 million.

Indeed. But in these harsh times, we have to take our hit, like most sports.

The third able-bodied sport getting a boost is Netball, by the way, while all Paralympic Sports are getting more.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

....£493 million four-year investment..... At least 60% of the investment announced today will support young people aged between 14 and 25.....any governing body that fails to achieve its annual targets for increasing participation faces losing 20% of its remaining investment...Total investment of £17.5 million for the Rugby Football League to tackle the grassroots game. ...£4.5 million for talented player development......Sport England’s Director of Sport, Lisa O’Keefe, said: “Changing the competition season and focusing on club and league development are sensible ways to increase the number of people playing rugby league....

Edited by JohnM, 17 December 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,929 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

True but RL clubs need the money more. RU clubs and football clubs usually have adequate facilities, RL clubs - especially outside the heartlands - often don't.

There are probably lots people who would like to play RL but have no possibility of doing so in their local area, a fairly unique situation.

Edited by Northern Sol, 17 December 2012 - 04:38 PM.

#15 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

True but RL clubs need the money more. RU clubs and football clubs usually have adequate facilities, RL clubs - especially outside the heartlands - often don't.

There are probably lots people who would like to play RL but have no possibility of doing so in their local area, a fairly unique situation.

Given the areas in which many RL clubs are based, and the working class nature of many of the communities, its absolutely true that many RL clubs need the money more.

But that doesn't stop me being surprised that we appear to be actually getting what we undoubtedly deserve for once.

£17.5 million will pay for an awful lot of development work to continue. And hopefully consolidate the geographical expansion of league across the UK.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

From the BBC: "Sport England said officials from cricket, rugby union and rugby league were "comfortable" with their funding cuts. It said the reductions were largely due to the end of spending on "large capital projects" between 2009 and 2013.

Figures released earlier this month showed 15.5 million people aged 16 and over were playing sport at least once a week - 750,000 more than a year ago and 1.57 million more than when London won the Olympic and Paralympic bid in 2005.

However the figures also showed the number of 16- to 19-year-olds participating in sport three times a week had dropped from 930,400 to 825,900."

Three times a week is the new stipulation, I think. Which would explain the apparently massive drop in official participation in various sports, including RL.

#17 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I read it as though 31 sports have received increases, not just 3.

It certainly says 31 have received their largest ever amount.

http://www.sportengl...investment.aspx

Not necessarily bad news for RL, a more focussed and streamlined RFL may achieve better results.

I would be more worried about the % of revenues that the RFL received from Sport England annually. As far as I can work, out, the two main funding sources are SKY and Sport England. If so, that could be interpreted as putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

As I understand it, Sport England is focused on helping people and communities across the country create a sporting habit for life.

Thus its not just a subsidy to the RFL but about investment in the grass roots community aspect of our game, plus some player development. Do I have that right?

Edited by JohnM, 17 December 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#19 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

new story.

the funding is based on submission of a 'whole sport plan' covering 3/4 year periods. the old story was a cut within the previous period...this is a well trailed new story as it was today that Sport England released the funding levels.

The next story will be what the RFL will cut or keep in response...expect the detail in early new year.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#20 CramlingtonRockets

CramlingtonRockets
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

As long as the community coaches don't' lose their jobs because without them in the schools in the North East rugby league would die very fast! they have done wonders in the last few years to get the junior leagues up from around 6 teams to a 10 team league for u 14's next season!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users