Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sport England funding cut

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,060 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

As long as the community coaches don't' lose their jobs because without them in the schools in the North East rugby league would die very fast! they have done wonders in the last few years to get the junior leagues up from around 6 teams to a 10 team league for u 14's next season!

Could happen,heard a rumour that some clubs are looking at sourcing external funding for their community coaches.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Given the areas in which many RL clubs are based, and the working class nature of many of the communities, its absolutely true that many RL clubs need the money more.

But that doesn't stop me being surprised that we appear to be actually getting what we undoubtedly deserve for once.

£17.5 million will pay for an awful lot of development work to continue. And hopefully consolidate the geographical expansion of league across the UK.

Not just that but expansion clubs tend to have no facilities of their own yet might be the only rugby league club within 30 miles. There is a cast iron case for saying that funds are needed more by them than a rugby union club in the same town with 100 hundred years of history.

#23 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,356 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Good on Sport England in forcing Governing bodies to do even more at Grassroots level. The Grassroots in any sport is vital and personally I think its the most important area of sport and is often sadly neglected. Getting kids playing Sport is tough especially when so many would rather just sit and watch TV or play on the computer than do any sports. Rugby League, except for the odd area doesnt and never has had a strong grassroots level. The problems between Barla and the RFL havent helped neither has some of the infighting in certain leagues. The amateur game is struggling as is Youth Rugby League.

I am not one for figures as people view them and change them on how they see fit. And I dont believe that they can count every person correctly its just a guess work. Whether the numbers have dropped by such a large amount is dubious for me. I have been disappointed that the RFL has wasted money on the Pro game like Crusaders, Bradford, Keighley, Paris SG, London/Quins etc over the years when for me the money, time and effort should have gone in to the grassroots level. The Pro game has enough people and enough money coming in to it. Its up to clubs to sort themselves out not the RFL. Its not just players the game needs but match officials and again alot of this is where Grassroots level plays a massive part. Most of the Match Officials in the Pro game have come via the amateur ranks and the players and some coaches too. The continued improving of standards and further development of the game both in and outside the heartland levels at amateur and youth level needs to increase somehow. The excuse is Soccer or Union etc is bigger and kids dont want to play our game is rubbish. You get a person(s) going into schools and running touch and tag as well as tackle and the kids and new people whatevcer age love it and want to play more. I know because I have done it though more with Students rather than schoolkids and hope to keep doing it in future even though it costs me a bit. The game needs to somehow get more kids playing or learning about Rugby League. The RFL needs to help amateur clubs more in getting youngsters to their clubs. When you see a kid running to his parents telling them he loved the session is something money cant buy. Then he wants to go and see a game and drags along Dad and maybe others. Somehow the game needs to increase what it does even without the money previously had.

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Where does the £17.5m come from? The footnote mentions that the 5 year period sees £27.5m for RL.

#25 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Where does the £17.5m come from? The footnote mentions that the 5 year period sees £27.5m for RL.

I think £27.5m figure includes the funding already received in previous years, and subsequently reduced due to missing the growth figures and because of a reduction in their own central funding.

I understand the £17.5m figure is about future funding.

#26 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

http://www.telegraph...ticipation.html

#27 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

http://www.telegraph...ticipation.html

Oh crikey! Some of the comments on that article beggar belief.

It's worth noting that the reason SE can make such a substantial investment is because a substantial of proportion of it comes from lottery money, rather than taxes.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think £27.5m figure includes the funding already received in previous years, and subsequently reduced due to missing the growth figures and because of a reduction in their own central funding.

I understand the £17.5m figure is about future funding.

Ah right - it does state though that the £900k reduction is from the 2009-13 period, which is the £27.5m.

Not that important tbf!

#29 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

The RFL has today been informed by Sport England that Rugby League is to receive funding totalling £17.5 million over the next four years following the submission of its 2013-2017 Whole Sport Plan.

The Whole Sport Plan contains the RFL's key strategies and programmes which are focused in line with Sport England's key objectives on retaining existing Rugby League players and attracting new participants to the sport.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: "We will now be looking carefully at the award details of the new Whole Sport plan to see how we take our important community and talent development work forward with the support of Sport England and naturally we are disappointed that Rugby League has not been able to maintain the previous level of funding. Over the last four years Whole Sport funding has enabled us to undertake some outstanding development work, helping to create a situation where more people than ever before have actually played the sport in the past 12 months."

RFL Director of Participation David Gent said: "Sport England has recognised that we have already taken decisive action to increase the number of people playing Rugby League and improve the experience by moving the playing season to summer.

"We remain committed to developing Rugby League across the country. The focus of the new plan 2013-2017 will be on retention of current players, but we also have a growth target."

In developing the 2013-2017 Whole Sport Plan, the RFL carried out extensive research with players to develop a real understanding of the Rugby League participant and ensure that the programmes are exactly tailored for them.

The Sport England announcement on Whole Sport Funding is available at

http://www.sportengl...investment.aspx

Mark Covell
Head of PR
RFL Media Department

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#30 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Three times a week is the new stipulation, I think. Which would explain the apparently massive drop in official participation in various sports, including RL.

Blimey thats a stretch for a contact sport! Even if you include training!

#31 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:01 AM

SportEngland are all about 'criteria' and meeting targets. 'Ideally-worldy' - 16 - 24 year olds doing 20 minutes of moderate exercise 5 times a week and all that rollox... That's not how sports work! [Oops! Didn't see Futtocks post, but yeah, that's basically my understanding too]

For clubs who own their own facilities its fantastic with the 'Inspired Facilities' Fund but by the sounds of it really has not helped the likes of South West RL in Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Somerset at all.

I thought one of the reason the RFL decided to scrap Great Britain Lions was because of the way SportEngland works, whereas the TeamGB/ParalympicsGB/the British & Irish Lions RU don't affect the funding of Athletics, Swimming, Rowing, Sailing, Tennis, Rugby Unions, etc.? :huh:

I'd likes GB RL to have Test series every 4 - 5 years, as I'd hope one day there would again be Welsh players (and maybe even Scots) playing for them... /Tangent

Edited by HappyDave, 18 December 2012 - 01:07 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#32 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:22 AM

theres a lot of mis-understanding about all of this.

Someone earlier said its good that the money flows to encourage more grass roots sport which is pretty obvious. But then you get into the detail and realise that Sport England monies is targetted at adult participation primarily. Its very frustrating being an amatuer club and seeing development work done with 15/16/17 year olds when you know the strategic need for the sport is 7/8/9 year olds. yet its the 'rules' of the funding.

said it before on threads on here, we need to be glad that the RFL does a job of competing for 'our share' of this money - AND - recognise what the parameters set by Sport England/Govt. are before people get too hot headed.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

We need to be glad that the RFL does a job of competing for 'our share' of this money - AND - recognise what the parameters set by Sport England/Govt. are before people get too hot headed.

Good luck with that on here!

#34 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

As long as the community coaches don't' lose their jobs because without them in the schools in the North East rugby league would die very fast! they have done wonders in the last few years to get the junior leagues up from around 6 teams to a 10 team league for u 14's next season!

This is the crux of the issue in my opinion. Losing £10.1 million of funding will inevitably mean job losses, as a large chunk of the funding from the last four years was spent on employing development managers and coaches around the country. The question really is where the cuts will be made, and in which areas. We've already lost our development manager in the SW and there's a possibility that we could lose the development coaches in Gloucestershire and at Filton College. Given that things have been looking up in this part of the World - and more so in the North East, Midlands, South East etc - it's a bit of a worry.

Incidentally I'll be looking in detail at this, and how it may affect the community game, in my "Grassroots" column in the next issue of RL World. Hopefully the RFL will be available for comment today. Unsurprisingly getting hold of anybody yesterday was nigh on impossible.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

Does anybody have a decent breakdown on what the targets and restrictions are this time around?

Of the £17.5m I can see that £1m is marked for capital to improve pitches and £4.5m will "support the development of talented players, creating better alignment with the Super League clubs and smoothing the path between the transition between the community and professional games".
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#36 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

Does anybody have a decent breakdown on what the targets and restrictions are this time around?

Of the £17.5m I can see that £1m is marked for capital to improve pitches and £4.5m will "support the development of talented players, creating better alignment with the Super League clubs and smoothing the path between the transition between the community and professional games".

The RFL are cautious about saying what their targets are (for obvious reasons), but they have stated a number of priotities in what they'll be using the funding for - mostly touch rugby, supporting the Conferences and regional leagues (e.g Tier 3 and Tier 4 contact game) and getting more further and higher education institutions to take up/offer Rugby League. If you look carefully enough it's all on the Sport England website. It's quite confusing though!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#37 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

The RFL has agreed to accept a reduction of £956,188 alongside a renegotiated participation goal, having recognised that it will not achieve the growth in regular and sustained participation commissioned through Sport England’s 2009 – 2013 investment.

The RFL’s maximum funding award for 2009 – 2013 was £29,408,341. As a result of Sport England’s decision and the reductions to Sport England’s Exchequer funding in the Comprehensive Spending Review, the RFL’s award for the period now stands at £27,563,684.

Surely that a loss of £1.8 million in potential funding? '
  • Do you need between £300 and £10,000 for a new project?
Will all RL clubs be involved in 'new projects'? Especially those who play out of a RU ground? Surely they need the funding for their existing needs? If clubs want to set up a youth section they ask them about how many kids will be involved and percentages of how often they will be playing and training regularly. Plus how may women and girls will be involved. How would anyone know that? :huh:

Edited by HappyDave, 22 December 2012 - 02:37 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users