Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pre Season Friendly v St Helens

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Reported in RL Express today that we have a freindly lined up with Saints on Friday January 25th KO TBC at Spotland.
As noted last week we also play Rochdale Town Team at Mayfield on Sunday January 13th KO TBC

A good run out in both games, i thought the Warrington friendly was a great game a couple of years ago, lets hope for the same.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#2 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hope the Law Cup can be arranged as well. It got cancelled last year because of the weather.

#3 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Given the limited squad size and risk of injury Id be tempted to minimise 'friendlies' and use the mickey mouse cup games as warm up for the real thing

#4 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Given the limited squad size and risk of injury Id be tempted to minimise 'friendlies' and use the mickey mouse cup games as warm up for the real thing

I would agree Anita, i cannot see many of the ear marked first team getting a game against the Town Team for that reason, the Saints game & Law Cups are a no brainer commercially. I would expect Saints to bring at least 250 to a friendly or if Nathan Brown gives signs to the media he may play one or two stars i think you can expect 500 minimum from Saints and maybe, just maybe a few curious floaters from Rochdale (don't be silly Fillipo)
The Law Cup is a tradition and a great game to get the players match conditioned.
Also the fringe lads desire these kind of games as it give them an opportunity to shine and maybe get a game in the NRC.

But as i said i can see where you a coming from 3 friendlies is enough for me.. Remember Woody's horrendous injury versus Warrington, i think its fair to say he never ever really got back in the groove after such a long lay off...

On a personal note, i am bored out of my mind and cannot wait for the season to start....
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#5 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Perhaps play the friendlies and cancel the trains cup games! Possibly advantageous commercially.

#6 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

January 13th v Rochdale & District Town Team @ Mayfield Sports Centre 3-00 kick off £5.00 Adults/Concessions Kids Free

January 25th v St Helens Select @ Spotland 8-00 kick off £10.00 Adults,£8.00 Concessions,£3.00 U16s
As a special bonus,Hornets 2013 season ticket holders purchasing tickets before Monday 22nd January will get FREE entry to this game.

February 17th Law Cup v Oldham @Spotland 3-00 kick off £10.00 Adults,£8.00 Concessions,£3.00 U16s

concessions are Over 65, Student with NUS

All games are pay on the gate.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#7 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Perhaps play the friendlies and cancel the trains cup games! Possibly advantageous commercially.

Until you consider the heavy penality that would be incurred for not taking part in the NRC
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#8 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

If what I've heard is correct there may be two less league games this season, at this rate we'll have finished by June!!!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#9 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

The Hornets are playing St Helens on Friday but I called in today and it was shut up. The fixture board had no mention of a game.

If the game is a secret no one will come.

Who is in charge at Hornets these days?

#10 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

The game is as scheduled, Friday night at Spotland K.O. 8.00pm. Weather permitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's simple and no secret.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#11 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

The Hornets are playing St Helens on Friday but I called in today and it was shut up. The fixture board had no mention of a game.

If the game is a secret no one will come.

Who is in charge at Hornets these days?

why would you expect some one to be there on a Sunday when there is no match
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#12 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I understand where Lakeside is coming from, I dont think Hornets sell themselves as well as they could sometimes. One of the biggest and best rugby league sides in the world are coming to Spotland does Rochdale know this? Not just Rochdales Rugby League community?

However i dont think the comment was made with the intention of helping to promote the club and the game somehow

#13 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I could understand all this negativity if Hornets had barely done anything to advertise the game.

It's on here, Facebook, Twitter and the official site. It has also been in the Observer and a could of posts have gone on the St. Helens MB about the game. What else can the club do? Town Criers, wing-walkers and skywriting???

THIS FRIDAY JAN 25th

ROCHDALE HORNETS v ST. HELENS

SPOTLAND STADIUM KO 8.00pm

GATE PRICES: ADULTS £10, CONCS £8 U16s £3

SPECIAL BONUS - SEASON TICKET HOLDERS ADMITTED FREE

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#14 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

My reply was my honest opinion I don't think it warranted a condescending response, but that seems to be your way.

"does Rochdale know this? Not just Rochdales Rugby League community?"

"It's on here, Facebook, Twitter and the official site. It has also been in the Observer and a could of posts have gone on the St. Helens MB"

You've given 6 examples of where the fixture has been mentioned (not necessarily advertised), 5 of which are rugby league specific media. I'm no marketing guru and don't claim to have the answer to why Hornets has a lack of local support but to have in effect a billboard which is unused doesn't seem to make sense.

And just to clarify I'm a big supporter of the current regime

#15 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

I could understand all this negativity if Hornets had barely done anything to advertise the game.

It's on here, Facebook, Twitter and the official site. It has also been in the Observer and a could of posts have gone on the St. Helens MB about the game. What else can the club do? Town Criers, wing-walkers and skywriting???

THIS FRIDAY JAN 25th

ROCHDALE HORNETS v ST. HELENS

SPOTLAND STADIUM KO 8.00pm

GATE PRICES: ADULTS £10, CONCS £8 U16s £3

SPECIAL BONUS - SEASON TICKET HOLDERS ADMITTED FREE

Pugwash.

Puggy you do have a habit of talking down to posters (hope i dont get blocked), i agree with Heywood Tiger. The promotions have been in the RL specific media. Why not something an advert in The Observer (rather than a mention) or even god forbid something in the Manchester Evening News. This info published in the St helens local media?

Its not everyday a name like St Helens, comes to town, like the club are doing for the RLWC game it needs to be pushed, a decent gate could set the financial coffers off to a good start for the 2013 season.
Phil Bull.

#16 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Fillipo, you know Hornets are on very tight budgets and they have to consider the value they might achieve for the cost. Newspaper advertisements cost quite a lot and they are probably not cost-effective.

The social media sites like Facebook and Twitter are viewed by many non-sports people so I don't think it's fair to disregard them as viable adverts that are free. If people 'share' the Facebook advert they can reach many people.

I apologise to anyone offended by my post.

I've had an idea that might help for future income, with Season Ticket holders getting in free please buy a programme and some Golden Gambles with your windfall??

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#17 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I don't know if anything has been put up in the Wheatsheaf, but that is a classic spot for a large poster advertising the fact that we have a game against St Helens. Most pubs that have a pool table have a notice board, a small flyer delivered to these places could be displayed there, (there's nothing in the Tanners) Before anyone asks about the distribution, we have lottery collectors who could not only give a flyer out with a results letter but could also pop into the pubs with the flyer, might even pick up some more lottery business in the process.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#18 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Oh, woe is me, Mr Coleman has gone, and for all his faults, he never once whinged that the Rugby boys are ruining the pitch and costing us games. Unfortunately his successor is of a different opinion, get ready for the whinging "Its the rugby's fault we lost the game".

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#19 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

It was a suggestion to spread the word nothing more.