Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Funding Cut

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20755057

Our Sport has been hit hard, have our policy makers got it right ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 17 December 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20755057

Our Sport has been hit the hardest have our policy makers got it right ?

The numbers have started to dwindle already with the funding cuts to rugby league

Edited by Marauder, 17 December 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#3 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

A hammer blow to rugby league especially at grass roots level.

#4 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

RL is probably seen as a shambles by the bean counters, RFL v BARLA, Summer v Winter, throwing money away on bankrupt clubs and pointless jollies tours etc.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 18 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#5 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

RL is probably seen as a shambles by the bean counters, RFL v BARLA, Summer v Winter, throwing money away on bankrupt clubs and pointless jollies tours etc.

Don't forget all weather pitch for 5 aside football.

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

With the funding cuts will this have a bearing on the travel subsidies ?

#7 samsung

samsung
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

With the funding cuts will this have a bearing on the travel subsidies ?

I think we need to assume we'll get nothing! If we get anything at all, it's a bonus I suppose. Let's hope the new clubs coming into Division 3 haven't been given any promises (from anyone outside the NCL) of RFL/NCL funding.

#8 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,750 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

The new clubs in the Conference South got told there's no funding for travel and that's at tier 3. The net result is the original 11 applicants dropped to 7.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

The new clubs in the Conference South got told there's no funding for travel and that's at tier 3. The net result is the original 11 applicants dropped to 7.

Wonder how many NCL clubs wouldn't have changed without promises?

#10 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Wonder how many NCL clubs wouldn't have changed without promises?

Not sure how much you thought that the NCL clubs got for the travel but I can tell you it was not thousands for most of the clubs in yorkshire and Lanceshire. Maybe the Cumbria clubs will have got a bit. while the funding was much appreciated the clubs in the NCL have funded their own travel for over twenty years prior to this so I dont think it would have made any difference to how the clubs voted. I am not 100% sure but the vote may have actually been taken before we were told of what the actual amount of the funding would be.

#11 samsung

samsung
  • Coach
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Not sure how much you thought that the NCL clubs got for the travel but I can tell you it was not thousands for most of the clubs in yorkshire and Lanceshire. Maybe the Cumbria clubs will have got a bit. while the funding was much appreciated the clubs in the NCL have funded their own travel for over twenty years prior to this so I dont think it would have made any difference to how the clubs voted. I am not 100% sure but the vote may have actually been taken before we were told of what the actual amount of the funding would be.

Quite right. The NCL aren't driven by money (despite what Marauder thinks....zzzzzzz). We were going to chance summer anyway. If anyone can make it work, it is the NCL. If it doesn't work for us, then no-one can make it work. The NCL clubs have run themselves, financially, for many years now. Some NCL clubs have NEVER had money off the RFL until this last season (and that wasn't so much). The NCL is still the finest league within the amateur game - and we will continue with or without the RFL funding - whether in winter or summer.

Some of the newly elected clubs who have previously had money for travel from the RFL - may just come to realise that they'll have to be a bit more self-sufficient.

#12 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

The Barla tours are self funded, only the RFL ones are paid for

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#13 Barrybeagle

Barrybeagle
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

#14 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

They are self funded but how much money that could be better spent elsewhere leaves the game as a result and proves a massive drain on clubs that provide players consistently for the tours!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#15 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I know exactly what your saying matr but a lot of the funding for the younger players is organised by their family specifically for that purpose and who wouldn't normally get involved

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,699 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

They are self funded but how much money that could be better spent elsewhere leaves the game as a result and proves a massive drain on clubs that provide players consistently for the tours!

I'm sure there are other players who would jump at the chance to pull on a Rep jersey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users