ncl next season

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Division 3 looks a harder division than division 2 looks like heworth are guna lose even more this season (if its possible)

Pilkington Recs, Blackbrook, Kells, Underbank, Coventry and Woolston are all better than the vast majority of division 2 IMO. Wigan St Cuthberts aren't bad either.

#22 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Pilkington Recs, Blackbrook, Kells, Underbank, Coventry and Woolston are all better than the vast majority of division 2 IMO. Wigan St Cuthberts aren't bad either.

Woolston's strength lies with which Wizards make the transition, it certainly will be an interesting division with so many new teams

#23 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Division 3 looks a harder division than division 2 looks like heworth are guna lose even more this season (if its possible)

Thought exactly the same, would you go as far as saying its as tough as Div 1? I think it might be.

#24 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Looking at division 3 teams i can see this being a tough division to get out of.
Pilks blackbrook and st cuthberts will probably be the top 3 teams to beat as they all have nwml premier division experience and thayin itself is a good standard of rugby.
I think the addition of a third division with the quality teams that have been accepted by the NCL will only enhance the reputation of the flag ship amatuer set up.

#25 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Looking at division 3 teams i can see this being a tough division to get out of.
Pilks blackbrook and st cuthberts will probably be the top 3 teams to beat as they all have nwml premier division experience and thayin itself is a good standard of rugby.
I think the addition of a third division with the quality teams that have been accepted by the NCL will only enhance the reputation of the flag ship amatuer set up.

I think Kells may have something to say about that! Those 3 teams will be in the mix but Kells will be right up there too. Coventry aren't to be underestimated (especially after going to Spain for their pre-season training camp!). Heworth will find it tough again and Peterlee will need to recruit on a huge scale even to be competitive with the top sides. Woolston will be a decent set if they pick up a chunk of the Wizards players and Hindley aren't a bad side either. I'd be surprised if the top 3 come the end of the year doesn't contain Kells, Pilks and Blackbrook.

Edited by thestatman, 20 December 2012 - 12:26 AM.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#26 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I think Kells may have something to say about that! Those 3 teams will be in the mix but Kells will be right up there too. Coventry aren't to be underestimated (especially after going to Spain for their pre-season training camp!). Heworth will find it tough again and Peterlee will need to recruit on a huge scale even to be competitive with the top sides. Woolston will be a decent set if they pick up a chunk of the Wizards players and Hindley aren't a bad side either. I'd be surprised if the top 3 come the end of the year doesn't contain Kells, Pilks and Blackbrook.

Also Huddersfield Underbank Rangers are a very strong side if they can keep last year's players.

#27 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

It may not matter to Coventry whether they get promotion as they may well be in CC1 in 2014. Whether they can run a reserve side at this level, or whether that is allowed, is questionable so they could disappear after one season.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#28 samsung

samsung
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Lots of other clubs wanted to join but no others who met criteria. Nottingham and Barrow Island were offered a place and turned it down. At least one other club was approached but they've asked not to be named

Approached by who? Thought that clubs had to approach the NCL.

#29 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

It may not matter to Coventry whether they get promotion as they may well be in CC1 in 2014. Whether they can run a reserve side at this level, or whether that is allowed, is questionable so they could disappear after one season.

If we ran an A team at tier 3 would be Conference South. Unsure if we could run both though.

#30 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

It will be tough to get results at kells and perhaps coventry.
Underbank will also be a good side as previously mentioned if they retain their players.
I will stick with my top three predictions statsman as i think kells may struggle when playing away.
End of the day its going to be a cracking competition in my opinion.

#31 thestatman

thestatman
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

Also Huddersfield Underbank Rangers are a very strong side if they can keep last year's players.

My apologies to Underbank - I completely forgot about them! But yes I agree. Standard wise it should be way in advance of Div 2 for the next year or two but it will soon level out, the league could hurry this up as there is potential for three more teams in Div 2 and two more in Div 3. Come the end of the season if there are enough applicants to take the NCL to 56 teams i'd anticipate something like 5 up and 2 down between Div2/3. If no other teams should apply then I think it should be 4 up and 3 down to give Div 2 12 teams and Div 3 eleven, therefore creating the extra space in the lower division.

SINGING MY MUM'S A .......

Views are my own and not necessarily those of Thatto Heath Crusaders!!

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

There's an empty spot in division 1 as well. Not sure whether they'll be able to get 6/7 new sides though (7 if Coventry get into C1). Guess it depends if Conference South works amongst other factors.

#33 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

There's an empty spot in division 1 as well. Not sure whether they'll be able to get 6/7 new sides though (7 if Coventry get into C1). Guess it depends if Conference South works amongst other factors.

I don't imagine that Coventry will be allowed to run an 'A' team in the NCL, should they get into C1 next season. That will signify the beginning of the end! 'A' teams of professional clubs: I don't think so. :o

#34 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't imagine that Coventry will be allowed to run an 'A' team in the NCL, should they get into C1 next season. That will signify the beginning of the end! 'A' teams of professional clubs: I don't think so. :o

This is an interesting difference between tier 3 in the north and tier 3 in the south. In the south having reserves, or a linked community club, in tier 3 or even 4 will probably be normal.

#35 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

This is an interesting difference between tier 3 in the north and tier 3 in the south. In the south having reserves, or a linked community club, in tier 3 or even 4 will probably be normal.

I think it should be in Featherstone too.

#36 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think it should be in Featherstone too.

Sheffield have already gone on this route, taking advantage of their status as honorary southerners.

#37 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

That's a point. If dual registration between Championship and NCL goes ahead then Featherstone Lions would be favourites for NCL3 and even if it doesn't then they will probably gain lots of players from the demise of Featherstone Rovers U23.

#38 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

That's a point. If dual registration between Championship and NCL goes ahead then Featherstone Lions would be favourites for NCL3 and even if it doesn't then they will probably gain lots of players from the demise of Featherstone Rovers U23.

I don't really agree with it, but if that's how it's going to be, it should work like that right across the board. I don't know the ins & outs of the persoanl circumstances of all Fev's u23 squad, but it was a good bunch of players getting high quality coaching in a professional environment. There were a good number of future Championship level and NCL level players there. The RFL in their wisdom have chosen to dismantle this, but it may as well be the Lions who reap the benefit rather than scattering the squad to the four winds (if the Lions themselves want this to happen).

The fact that the RFL feel the future player production of the whole sport can be done of the back of u19 teams at just 13 professional clubs as the only age-limit competition above amateur standard is unbelievable, but is probably for another thread.

#39 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I don't really agree with it, but if that's how it's going to be, it should work like that right across the board. I don't know the ins & outs of the persoanl circumstances of all Fev's u23 squad, but it was a good bunch of players getting high quality coaching in a professional environment. There were a good number of future Championship level and NCL level players there. The RFL in their wisdom have chosen to dismantle this, but it may as well be the Lions who reap the benefit rather than scattering the squad to the four winds (if the Lions themselves want this to happen).

The fact that the RFL feel the future player production of the whole sport can be done of the back of u19 teams at just 13 professional clubs as the only age-limit competition above amateur standard is unbelievable, but is probably for another thread.

Well, what really do the RFL know? They pump money (...and a lot of it!!) into clubs in the Championship and Championship1, when the REAL people who are developing players are clubs like those in the NCL (plus others with similar facilities & youth & junior teams). Compare, for example, Rochdale to Rochdale Mayfield; Rochdale Mayfield have their own facilities plus teams at all ages! Swinton; what have they got?? No ground and absolutely f## all else!!

Can you just IMAGINE what an amateur club who run up to 7-15 youth & junior teams PLUS their own facilities (Oulton, Siddal, St. Judes, Eccles, Ovenden, to name but a very few!) would be able to do with £100,000+ ?

Now, if the RFL were to "reward" the clubs who have their own facilities (£20K), plus £10K for every youth/junior team they ran - and scrap the Championship Clubs - THEN we'd be getting somewhere!

Rant over.

I mean, honestly!, Gloucester in the Championship! Pllleeaase!!

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Well, what really do the RFL know? They pump money (...and a lot of it!!) into clubs in the Championship and Championship1, when the REAL people who are developing players are clubs like those in the NCL (plus others with similar facilities & youth & junior teams). Compare, for example, Rochdale to Rochdale Mayfield; Rochdale Mayfield have their own facilities plus teams at all ages! Swinton; what have they got?? No ground and absolutely f## all else!!

Can you just IMAGINE what an amateur club who run up to 7-15 youth & junior teams PLUS their own facilities (Oulton, Siddal, St. Judes, Eccles, Ovenden, to name but a very few!) would be able to do with £100,000+ ?

Now, if the RFL were to "reward" the clubs who have their own facilities (£20K), plus £10K for every youth/junior team they ran - and scrap the Championship Clubs - THEN we'd be getting somewhere!

Rant over.

I mean, honestly!, Gloucester in the Championship! Pllleeaase!!

Im not sure what your point is jaguar.

Is it that in some areas, NCL clubs are better than pro' clubs at developing players? Of course this is true. Most CC and CC1 clubs no longer bother with anything other than the first 17. Not sure why any club has to be scrapped though.

Or is your point that a semi-pro club shouldn't be launched in Cheltenham?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users